• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which was a greater series victory - India in Australia in 2021 or Sri Lanka in South Africa in 2019?

Greater Series Victory

• India in Australia 2021

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • SL in SA 2019

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You are telling me a WI track is tougher for a WI batsman than SA track is for a SL Batsman?
I am saying that day 5 barbados was a tougher track for batsmen than day 5 Durban.

And @OverratedSanity the rest of the match is really not the best indicator to how tough conditions and the pitch actually were on Day 5.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
India still had their full personnel except for Kohli when they won in Melbourne. Plus India has already won in Australia before that.
Melbourne where we literally played with 4 bowlers and 10 players given the injury to nostrils? Its why its important to actually watch cricket before passing comments on it.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I don't think 'less likely' is a complete substitute for 'greater'.

I'd say England's win in India in 2012 was less likely than their win in Australia two years earlier, but the latter was greater.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
They had lost Shami, Kohli and KL
India lost 1 player in the middle of the test almost every test in the series. Shows the poor fitness and they have only themselves to blame. But it also magnifies the win as it was 10 vs 11 in each test.

Edit: actually every test had a 10 vs 11 scenario. Not almost every test.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
I don't think 'less likely' is a complete substitute for 'greater'.

I'd say England's win in India in 2012 was less likely than their win in Australia two years earlier, but the latter was greater.
Nope. That was one of England's strongest sides while India had much less likelihood of winning in 2021.

Of course the low odds of a victory add to its greatness.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Nope. That was one of England's strongest sides while India had much less likelihood of winning in 2021.

Of course the low odds of a victory add to its greatness.
I was talking about England's win in Australia.

Low odds add to it sure but it's not all there is to it as was suggested earlier in this thread.

subshakerz

International Coach
India victory in 2021 was greater in terms of being more epic, picking themselves up from a first test loss and SC sides would probably value a series victory in Australia more anyways.

But I think SL's victory was greater in terms of being more improbable and also the relative comfort of that second test victory made it seem like less of a fluke.

BazBall21

International Regular
Considering all Asian teams have been smashed in NZ for the past 8 or 9 years, how poor Bangladesh have always been, and the fact it was against the reigning WTC champions it was very impressive imo.
Definitely a bigger shock than the other two. It is looking like that first Test was the first warning re NZ's decline rather than a total fluke, but it's one of those results that not a living soul saw coming and that in itself is relatively rare in such a qualitative sport.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Which England win, in 2010? They outright had a better side then.
Yeah, and my point is, it's still the greatest England series win in my lifetime despite the fact we went in with a pretty good chance of winning.

The rarity of winning in Australia and the margin of victory matters more.