• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which sports are you looking forwards to?

Chubb

International Regular
Hockey top for me this time. Best game to play apart from cricket, criminally underrated.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The build up to these Olympics seems very low key generally. Is it the way the economy is across the northern hemisphere that's the reason?

Even here on CW it's low key, though I can't recall how big the anticipation was for the last games either.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The build up to these Olympics seems very low key generally. Is it the way the economy is across the northern hemisphere that's the reason?

Even here on CW it's low key, though I can't recall how big the anticipation was for the last games either.
It's not low key over here, believe me. And in London even more so.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Has it amped up big time since the Euros? A few journos who were in London at the time thought it was all very low key.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The "£9 billion and rising cost" whilst a lot of the country doesn't have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of has taken the lustre off it a bit, IMHO.

Plus there's been a lot of talk about the "Plastic Brit" phenom from the more excitably certifiable corners of the fourth estate.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Has it amped up big time since the Euros? A few journos who were in London at the time thought it was all very low key.
It's all I hear about if I switch the TV on, pick up a newspaper, go to the BBC website etc.

When I was in London for a couple of months this year, you couldn't turn any which way without seeing a reference to the games.

I guess it's perception though. If we ever got the World Cup I would expect a bigger build I suppose.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm actually looking forward to these Olympics much more than 2004 and 2008, despite the time zone crapness. I guess a reason for that is I had the chance to be in London during Olympic year, and I even went out to Stratford and had a look at the village. So it feels much more real and is capturing my imagination more than, say, Beijing, which I knew very little about, and the closest I'd ever been to it was Singapore.

It's also pretty cool that it's Sky TV's first Olympics, and they've put it on a whopping eight channels. In the past it's just been on one free-to-air channel. The channel-surfing is gonna be fabulous.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
BBC are apparently making it possible to watch everything, through their channels, red button, website.

Some events are in 3D apparently, on BBC HD and Eurosport 3D, so that might be cool

weeman27bob

International Regular
BBC are apparently making it possible to watch everything, through their channels, red button, website.

Some events are in 3D apparently, on BBC HD and Eurosport 3D, so that might be cool
2,500 hours of live coverage from what I've heard. Up 1,000 hours from 2008.

Meridio

International Regular
Seems to be a distinct lack of buzz around my workplace. It's a topic of conversation, but only in the sense that everyone is moaning about how it's going to be disruptive to their daily lives. Is grinding my gears tbh, find it a pathetically small minded view. It's the Olympics FFS - it happens once every four years, and this is probably the only time in your lifetime it will be held in your city - yet all you care about is it interfering with your routine? It's really not that much of a sacrifice to make alternative plans for a few weeks.