• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which of these 90s English no rounders was your favourite?

Best of the worst?

• Total voters

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
just looked it up, he bowled 112 overs total in the new millenium and took 3 wickets. And 2 of those wickets were in the 2002/03 Ashes series, where he bowled 25 overs.

Just out of interest SR Waugh bowling per year:
1999 - 14 overs
2000 - 7 overs
2001 - 0 overs
2002 - 18 overs
2003 - 85 overs

It's a surprise to me that he bowled 85 overs in 2003 somehow. Definitely thought he'd have been done by then.

Perhaps he knew it was his last year. Also, it was the year when Australia did not have McWarne for good chunks, wasn't it?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Never really thought about Paul Reiffel or how good he was as an international cricketer. Or realised that he'd played 35 tests.

You'd think he'd get talked about given how effective he was

He was a giant against England. iirc he came in as a replacement for McDermott in 1993 and took loads of wickets.
I suppose his bowling was overshadowed by McGrath and Gillespie in 1997, but his batting was arguably even more important in that series. In the vital Old Trafford test, he kept Steve Waugh company for long enough to keep his side ahead of the game when England were ahead in the series.

EDIT
Here's the scorecard for that game.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/16057/scorecard/63756/England-vs-Australia-3rd-Test

Reiffel's first innings batting was the game changer; the game was pretty much won when he made runs in the 2nd innings.
From an English pov, I had to smile at how pissed off Atherton was with Caddick in the Aus 2nd innings, after AC had done his usual no show in their 1st innings.

Last edited:

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
just looked it up, he bowled 112 overs total in the new millenium and took 3 wickets. And 2 of those wickets were in the 2002/03 Ashes series, where he bowled 25 overs.

Just out of interest SR Waugh bowling per year:
1999 - 14 overs
2000 - 7 overs
2001 - 0 overs
2002 - 18 overs
2003 - 85 overs

It's a surprise to me that he bowled 85 overs in 2003 somehow. Definitely thought he'd have been done by then.
Mark Waugh was bowling more in those years, though not a huge amount:

1999 - 14 overs
2000 - 2 overs
2001 - 83 overs
2002 - 46 overs

Steve Waugh had 89 wickets at 34.88 at the end of the 1998-9 Ashes; 92 at 37.44 at the end of his career.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just on the subject of Reiffel, was the man at the other end scoring a vital 30 odd in Bevan's famous last ball ODI win against WI. Got man of the match too for his first innings 4 fer

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Has anyone mention Dermot Reeve yet?

I only ever saw him in the 1996 WC, but his FC exploits in the late 80's are quite impressive.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
After watching some county OD highlights a year or two a go I can never shake the impression that Reeve was a better player than in reality.

For the same reason I can never shake the impression that Irani was a bit of a ****. I think that one may be a bit more factual though.