• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Minnow do you support and why

Which Minnow team do you support

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Sanz said:
Conspiracy theory at best.There are many ICC and Non-Asian cricket board officials on record supporting Bangladesh's test status in 2000. e.g.

Dr. Ali Bacher, former head of of SA Board (who was also the head of ICC development Committee), Eddie barlow, former SA test player and BD coach in 2000.

And it was the NZ representative Mr. John Anderson who "categorically stated that there should be no further discussion about the Bangladesh's appeal. It should be approved automatically through the proper channels"

Lastly, If my memory serves me right, ICC was unanimous in granting the test status to Bangladesh. There were many more non-Asians who supported Bangladesh's claim for a test spot and that's why I dismissed your claim.
Good response. It's not my theory though. I lot of media comment at the time alluded to Bangladesh being granted its status simply so it would add an extra vote to the Asian bloc.

Ultimately we don't know why certain people voted the way they did, but it would be pretty naive to assume that votes were cast simply based upon the merits of the Bangladesh team. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't think it's as simple as you make out.

Given the behaviour of the Indian board in particular in recent times, I don't think this qualifies as a conspiracy theory. A theory certainly, but not an outlandish one.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
mundaneyogi said:
Good response. It's not my theory though. I lot of media comment at the time alluded to Bangladesh being granted its status simply so it would add an extra vote to the Asian bloc.

Ultimately we don't know why certain people voted the way they did, but it would be pretty naive to assume that votes were cast simply based upon the merits of the Bangladesh team. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't think it's as simple as you make out.

Given the behaviour of the Indian board in particular in recent times, I don't think this qualifies as a conspiracy theory. A theory certainly, but not an outlandish one.
Media speculation @ best. Please dont assume that I think It was simple, for all I know, there could have been 1000 reasons why all ICC members supported or may be they genuinly believed that BD had the potential, we may never know. If there was so much media speculation about Bangladesh being given the Test status only to add an extra vote to the Asian Bloc, then I am surprised that how the Aussie, English Saffie, NZ etc members allowed it to pass unanimously. Not a single member in the executive committee voted against it. Perhaps they also wanted a bigger Asian representation in the ICC ?

As you said, we may never know the truth and until then I would back the integrity of these people rather than trusting media speculations. That doesn't mean I dont trust the media, Actually I would, if they (instead of speculating) come out and say it on record. That said Here is part of Dr. Ali Bacher's Interview he had given in 2000 :-

AV: You have recommended that Bangladesh be awarded Test status. However, when they toured New Zealand and played provincial sides there, they lost two games convincingly. Are they ready yet?

AB: Eddie Barlow as you know, has been watching them closely. He is a keen student of the game and he has personally told me that they are ready. Barlow sure knows his cricket. If he says they are ready, then they are. If they are given Test status, they will come through. And besides, it's an exciting new market that's opened up. We need such new markets. Bangladesh is a market of 130 million people.

AV: It might be a very good market, but shouldn't we wait?

AB: Why should we wait? It's inevitable that Bangladesh will get Test status.
AV: But though one of these countries may field a better team than Bangladesh, Bangladesh gets Test status just because the market is conducive?

AB: I've been to Bangladesh twice. I've seen the conditions there. They're perfect. You have capacity crowds at games. There is a cricket culture in Bangladesh. There is a passion associated with the game. That's what we need

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/90240.html

AB = Ali Bacher
AV = Anand Vasu

Also - As I said NZ also supported BD's test status :-

New Zealand back Bangladesh for Test status

New Zealand will also support Bangladesh in their bid to obtain Test status. In a fax message to the President of the Bangladesh Cricket Board, Saber Hossain Choudhury, the Chief Executive of the New Zealand Cricket Board, Christopher Doig has stated, "We are pleased to advise you that at our recent meeting the New Zealand Cricket Board unanimously agreed to lend support to your application for Test match status in June." The ICC meeting takes place this month.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/89443.html

I could go on about most boards supporting BD's claim for Test status, but that would be a fruitless excersize.

Dick Rockett

Sanz said:
I could go on about most boards supporting BD's claim for Test status, but that would be a fruitless excersize.
Well, my friend, it's entirely possible you've uncovered another compelling reason why things turned out the way they did. Money. Markets. Whatever.

Look, I'm not saying you're wrong, and I'm certainly not intractible in my viewpoint. But I find it very hard to believe that Bangladesh were given test status for cricket reasons. Additionally, having read the extract you posted from the AB interview, I find it monumentally staggering that he seems to have made his decision based on the views of one person (Eddie Barlow).

It was a mistake to elevate Bangladesh when they did, and if normal people like you or I could see at the time that they weren't up to it, are we seriously expected to believe that supposedly intelligent people that are paid to know better, in fact, did know better?

Anyway, here's an article that mentions the Asian bloc theory.

Last edited:

TIF

U19 Debutant
I cant understand why so many people are going anti-minnows, especially anti-Bangladesh. Bangladesh, ever since they have made a 300+ score, yes, a 300+ score, have shown that they are definitely not minnows anymore. A 300+ score is a 300+ score, no matter which team it comes against.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
TIF said:
I cant understand why so many people are going anti-minnows, especially anti-Bangladesh. Bangladesh, ever since they have made a 300+ score, yes, a 300+ score, have shown that they are definitely not minnows anymore. A 300+ score is a 300+ score, no matter which team it comes against.
Can I say Norway aren't minnows, since their record score is 341 for 7 v Malta last summer?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Can I say that I've played 2nd XI cricket in the Manchester and District Assocation against a non-minnow team as they put 300 on us?

Steulen

International Regular
Samuel_Vimes said:
Can I say Norway aren't minnows, since their record score is 341 for 7 v Malta last summer?
Good one, Sir Vimes.
Why isn't Norway playing Tests anyway? If their football team is any indication, they would be very much suited to a dour five-day rearguard graft.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
mundaneyogi said:
Additionally, having read the extract you posted from the AB interview, I find it monumentally staggering that he seems to have made his decision based on the views of one person (Eddie Barlow)..
Not entirely true. AB also said that he visited BD twice and mentioned his experience there.

I am not arguing that granting test status to BD was right/wrong. In the hindsight it may have been wrong, that's why Dalmiya detractors came up with all this talk about 'Asian Bloc' . This, IMO, is unfair because ICC granted the status unanimously.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
TIF said:
I cant understand why so many people are going anti-minnows, especially anti-Bangladesh. Bangladesh, ever since they have made a 300+ score, yes, a 300+ score, have shown that they are definitely not minnows anymore.
Yes, they are still minnows

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Steulen said:
Why isn't Norway playing Tests anyway? If their football team is any indication, they would be very much suited to a dour five-day rearguard graft.
Because he's the only Norwegian that gives a crap.

...and history suggests they'd be more suited to restricting themselves to short raids into Durham to maim and destroy in Twenty/20 games before heading home.

Dick Rockett

Sanz said:
Not entirely true. AB also said that he visited BD twice and mentioned his experience there.

I am not arguing that granting test status to BD was right/wrong. In the hindsight it may have been wrong, that's why Dalmiya detractors came up with all this talk about 'Asian Bloc' . This, IMO, is unfair because ICC granted the status unanimously.
I reckon both points of view are ultimately speculative. I guess we'll never know.

Dick Rockett

TIF said:
I cant understand why so many people are going anti-minnows, especially anti-Bangladesh.
From reading through this thread, I think most people are generally positive about Bangladesh, now that they're showing some progress.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
mundaneyogi said:
I reckon both points of view are ultimately speculative. I guess we'll never know.
Siince when has 'Innocent until proven Guilty' become speculative ? I am sorry but I have not made any speculation here. The article you posted was written in hindsight, 3 years after Bangladesh became test nation and Dalmiya was no longer a president.

Not to forget the fact the writer himself used something like "There was a speculation....". So I have no reason to believe otherwise.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
steds said:
Why don't you pick on a country that isn't in the third world, for a change? :p :ph34r:
Netherlands Owns Bangla..damnit 3rd world
Netherlands owns Indi.. .ARG again !
Netherlands Owns Austr....this is getting annoying....
England Owns Netherlands, yup, only country to rightly do so.
or even better Switzerlands Owns Netherlands.

Dick Rockett

Sanz said:
Siince when has 'Innocent until proven Guilty' become speculative ? I am sorry but I have not made any speculation here. The article you posted was written in hindsight, 3 years after Bangladesh became test nation and Dalmiya was no longer a president.

Not to forget the fact the writer himself used something like "There was a speculation....". So I have no reason to believe otherwise.
Well, a cursory search on Google will unearth many articles saying the same thing.

What I was pointing out is that essentially, my point of view is really backed up by nothing more than the opinions of journalists. Your point of view is backed up by nothing more than that certain people voted a certain way.

The fact is, none of the evidence is conclusive. Journalists have agendas, so do politicians. Like I said before, you'd have to be pretty naive to take everything you read at face value. I'm prepared to accept that what I believe may be incorrect. However, I'm sorry, but I just can't accept that supposedly intelligent people thought that giving Bangladesh test status at that time, was anything other than an attempt to milk a giant cash cow and placate some ambitious Indian adminstrators.

Last edited: