• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Indian players were unlucky not be given a consistent chance?

Jumno

U19 Captain
Who were the unlucky Indian players not to be given a consistent chance or more chances in the Indian odi and test team?

I can think of Ramesh, Bharadwaj, M Kartick and some pacers like Balaji, Kumaran, Harvinder Singh and I Pathan.

About 90% of these players were brought in the team from 98-2002.
D Gandhi
S Ramesh
Kantikar
J Martin
Badani
R Sodhi
Dhahiya (w/k)
V Bharadwaj-off spin
Kumaran-pace
Mohanty-pace
Kuruvilla-pace

Harvinder Singh-pace
R Gavaskar
Salvi-pace
M Prasad(w/k)
Ratra(w/k)
Dasgupta(w/k)
Kapoor (played in 96 wc)
VRV Singh-pace
I Pathan-pace
Balaji-pace
R Powar
N Chopra-off spin
A Khurunishya (Picked for 99 wc)
S Sriram
Joshi-left arm spin
M Kartick-left arm spin
A Bhandari (played in asia cup 2000/sharjah series 2000)
Anolka-pace
Banajaree-pace
RP Singh-pace
Bahuttle-leg spin
Chauhan
Bedade
Dighe (w/k)
Saba Karim (w/k)
Wasim Jaffer
Venugopal Rao
Uthappa (played in a handful of odi's)
S Banger

All 6 wicketkeepers also played in that 98-2002 region.

Last edited:

Jumno

U19 Captain
You could also ask why did India despite the number of people and teams associated, had so many duds playing for that 1998-2002 period.

Jumno

U19 Captain
Kambli was given a decent run, he was left out I think in 97-99. He made a comeback for 2 series in 2000, but did not take the opportunity and side-lined for the 1999 world cup.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Politics was a huge factor which player was selected and from which zone back in the day. Why did Vikram Rathore get so many chances while some others didn't?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I remember Samir Dighe played in an exhibition game v Pakistan and had 2-3 wonderful dismissals including a stumping. Could bat a bit too.

Jumno

U19 Captain
Muzumber never got a chance to play one test or odi. That's very harsh and his stats, reputation backs him up.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Muzumber never got a chance to play one test or odi. That's very harsh and his stats, reputation backs him up.
It is so difficult to crack into the Indian team for middle-order players who do not bowl . They are usually met with unfair treatment while the Indian team is always full of top-order players being moved to middle-order.

What happened to Muzumdar is happening to Surya Yadav right now. I remember few other middle order players like S Sharath, Mithun Manhas, Devendra Bundela and Sitanshu Kotak who also never got a chance for a single match but kept churning out big runs for the state. I think Badrinath played one test but could have got a little more chances.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I feel like Pathan 100% had the chance to be India's second best all-rounder after Dev.

He nearly got a century and a hatrick in the same series