• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Cricket World Cup Was the Least Interesting?

Which World Cup was the Least Interesting?

Votes: 2 4.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 2 4.1%

Votes: 27 55.1%

Votes: 6 12.2%

Votes: 6 12.2%

Votes: 3 6.1%

• Total voters

number11

State 12th Man
2003 was a foregone conclusion before a ball was bowled. Ditto 07. Australia were miles better than anyone else. When they were briefly behind in a game, they just upped the ante.

Molehill

International Captain
I don't think 2003 was a foregone conclusion. Australia were pushed hard in more than one group game and it was a high quality World Cup. They needed to be at their best to win it. 2007 seemed far more like a forgone conclusion and Hussey at 6 barely got a bat.

2015 for me. England were rubbish and most of the games were played in the middle of the night. Barely registered an interest.

Ali TT

International Debutant
2011 was an odd one - group B was crazy wild, group A dull and the knock outs a procession. 2007 the worst for me though.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant

Empty stadiums , Host nation doing really bad , The backlash that came when good old India got knocked out in the groupstage which was the catalyst for associates getting screwed out of a fair shot at World Cup participation..
Australia just slapping everyone aside like a big bully , it was way too easy for them ...Bob Woolmers death during the tournament also wasn't great either .

Molehill

International Captain

Empty stadiums , Host nation doing really bad , The backlash that came when good old India got knocked out in the groupstage which was the catalyst for associates getting screwed out of a fair shot at World Cup participation..
Australia just slapping everyone aside like a big bully , it was way too easy for them ...Bob Woolmers death during the tournament also wasn't great either .
But half the stuff you’ve mentioned there actually made it interesting.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
92 is the first I have vague memories of so the early ones are out. But it has to be 07 for me. Felt like it dragged on forever which other WCs of similar length haven’t. The combination of the format we have now plus early group stages added a lot of dullness to proceedings. And the final was a damp squib.

The one thing in its favour is the Aussie procession wasn’t necessarily the foregone conclusion it’s made out to be. They had contrived to lose to England, Paul Nixon, Jamie Dalrymple et al, in the tri-series and then I think NZ beat them 3-0. So there was the odd eyebrow raised.

Once they obliterated South Africa though…

hants666

Cricket Spectator
This one. How long can they stretch it out for. One game a day, just for TV money. Wasn't the old saying "leave your audience wanting more"?

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
2015 for me.

It was in Australia and NZ, Australia won and England were a shambles - it couldn't have been worse

Sunil1z

International Regular

Only WC where spin bowlers were completely useless . Even in 2015 WC held in Australia, spin bowlers did well. See bowling average of spinners in 2019 WCF452A35B-E066-4A68-A0F0-1039CDE58A40.jpeg

Isura

U19 Captain
2003 had some interesting group games like opening match/Lara 100, Aus/Eng, SA/NZ, Aus/Pak, even Ind/Pak was a good match for once. 2007 was a totally useless tournament