• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where would you bat Ponting ?

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, but your club bowlers aren't ****ing Jimmy Anderson and Chris Tremlett bowling ball after ball after ball after ball on a perfect length on a line just outside off and getting it to move both ways in the air and off the pitch, are they?

dhufish

Cricket Spectator
Yeah, but your club bowlers aren't ****ing Jimmy Anderson and Chris Tremlett bowling ball after ball after ball after ball on a perfect length on a line just outside off and getting it to move both ways in the air and off the pitch, are they?

One would think a test batsman should be able to play test bowlers.
Agreed, the ball moved around in Perth (Australia won that one), and Ponting failed. The ball moved around in Melbourne and Ponting failed. The ball was pretty well straight up and down in Brisbane and Adelaide and Ponting failed.

Spark

Global Moderator
Excuse me? Did you see the ball Anderson bowled to Ponting in the first innings in Adelaide?

Some of the balls bowled to him this series, Ponting at his peak would've struggled. England have bowled some exceptional balls at him.

dhufish

Cricket Spectator
Excuse me? Did you see the ball Anderson bowled to Ponting in the first innings in Adelaide?

Some of the balls bowled to him this series, Ponting at his peak would've struggled. England have bowled some exceptional balls at him.
You seem to think I have this opinion only of Ponting.
If you are not in form and remain so for extended periods, it is time to go back to your roots and get some form. If that doesn't happen maybe you are passed it.
The public had dropped Hussey prior to the first test and we would probably have lost all of the first three if not for him and Watson.
If the selectors continue to select teams based on past form and reputations, Australian cricket is doomed to a lengthy period of series losses.
Unfortunately there is not much talent in Shield ranks either. So maybe players will continue to play for Australia regardless of their form.
With India and South Africa coming up, it is going to be a depressing time for supporters of Australian cricket.

Spark

Global Moderator
The public had dropped Hussey prior to the first test and we would probably have lost all of the first three if not for him and Watson.
So doesn't that rather negate your argument?

dhufish

Cricket Spectator
So doesn't that rather negate your argument?
Of course it does.
However, Hussey has got the job done and probably cemented his place if he wishes to continue.
Some of the others have failed and been dropped. Hauritz, North. Their replacements have not exactly set the world on fire.
Ponting and Clarke both play when injured.
Others continue to fail and keep their place.

It all bodes ill for the future if there are no ready replacements

Ruckus

International Captain

That's true, but the problem is Ponting is getting out in ways he shouldn't in between those times. At least three of the deliveries he shoudn't have got out to. The two leg glances being the most obvious ones that come to mind. You have to accept in cricket you will sometimes get balls you can't do much about, but you have to maximise the times in between when nothing particularly threatening has come your way. He wasted those opportunities.

dhufish

Cricket Spectator
That's true, but the problem is Ponting is getting out in ways he shouldn't in between those times. At least three of the deliveries he shoudn't have got out to. The two leg glances being the most obvious ones that come to mind. You have to accept in cricket you will sometimes get balls you can't do much about, but you have to maximise the times in between when nothing particularly threatening has come your way. He wasted those opportunities.
Out of form and injured.
Have a rest!

Midwinter

State Captain
I'm afraid I have to agree with

"No 3 for Tassie".

The sad part in all this is the continual denial of Ponting's poor form.
eg "He is getting out to exceptional good balls"

Doesn't that mean the opposition has worked him out, that by bowling tightly and putting him under pressure they will get him out.. He is no longer able to cope with "exceptional" bowling as he was in his prime..

It is now past the time to put him down the order. His career has been ended by the lack of ability to perceive any situation other than he is still a great batsman. The selectors and coaches inability to see his decline has shortened his career and denied the team of possibly another couple of years out of Ponting..

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Does anyone honestly see that Ponting would play a lot of FC cricket if he was forced out of the Test side? I can't.

AaronK

State Regular
ummm @ number 12 where he would have to carry drinks..

clearly it is time for him to go.. and he is no where in the same level as Sachin or Lara..

Lara and Sachin have single handedly won matches for their respective teams.. I don't see a single innings in Ponting's career where he has contributed most during a crisis situation and his batting proved to be the winning knock..

hell.. even guys like Laxman, Inzamam, and Chanderpaul have saved their teams more than Ponting has done

iamdavid

International Debutant
Lara and Sachin have single handedly won matches for their respective teams.. I don't see a single innings in Ponting's career where he has contributed most during a crisis situation and his batting proved to be the winning knock..

hell.. even guys like Laxman, Inzamam, and Chanderpaul have saved their teams more than Ponting has done
Final: Australia v India at Johannesburg, Mar 23, 2003 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

3rd Test: Australia v England at Manchester, Aug 11-15, 2005

3rd Test: Australia v India at Melbourne, Dec 26-30, 2003 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

3rd Test: Australia v Pakistan at Perth, Nov 26-28, 1999 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

etc, etc, etc

I actually thought he looked in pretty good touch during the Indian tour, but it seems as the summer has gone on and the runs haven't come his confidence has just deserted him, looked terrible today. Ponting acknowledged himself that if Australia failed to regain the Ashes and he didn't score runs then it was probably curtains for him, unfortunately that has eventuated.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Final: Australia v India at Johannesburg, Mar 23, 2003 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

3rd Test: Australia v India at Melbourne, Dec 26-30, 2003 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

3rd Test: Australia v Pakistan at Perth, Nov 26-28, 1999 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

etc, etc, etc

I actually thought he looked in pretty good touch during the Indian tour, but it seems as the summer has gone on and the runs haven't come his confidence has just deserted him, looked terrible today. Ponting acknowledged himself that if Australia failed to regain the Ashes and he didn't score runs then it was probably curtains for him, unfortunately that has eventuated.
Don't even bother mate.

I think today he was so utterly set on crease occupation that he forgot to actually play himself in, construct an innings, get his feet moving etc.

AaronK

State Regular

3rd Test: Australia v England at Manchester, Aug 11-15, 2005

etc, etc, etc

The key word is crisis..a situation where his team is down 3 or 4 for under 20.. he managed to turn it around with his batting.. you are giving me the example of the world cup final when their openners give him a good start..i mean comon.. 105 in 13 over.. the stage was all set for him to come and fire up..hell even guys like Symonds and Bevan could have played such an innings.. if it was lets say 13 with 2 wickets down.. i would probably appreciate his innings more..

maybe the Ashes innings probably reflects what i am talking about but again.. he didn't win the match and hell he got out in a crucial situation when he was needed to play..

take a look at this scorecard..yes the match was drawn due to rain and we couldn't know what the result could have been.. but pakistan was 39 for 5 against a bowling line up consist of Ambrose, Walsh, and King (who seemed a very fine bowler during that series)

1st Test: West Indies v Pakistan at Georgetown, May 5-9, 2000 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

take a look at this innings, an injured Laxman batting with a runner and tailender..

1st Test: India v Australia at Mohali, Oct 1-5, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

I honestly don't see any innings similar to these innings from Ponting... My opinion is that he usually got a good start and didn't batt under an extreme amount of pressure.. that is why maybe he scored so many runs and has an average of over 50..