• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where will Steve Smith end up being ranked?

Xuhaib

International Coach
Talking of Smith I think he would be more fondly remembered for his odi batting had he played in the 90's the pitches were not completely roads back then would have been a more successful odi player then likes off Bairstow, Butler, Rohit, Maxwell etc

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Talking of Smith I think he would be more fondly remembered for his odi batting had he played in the 90's the pitches were not completely roads back then would have been a more successful odi player then likes off Bairstow, Butler, Rohit, Maxwell etc
Roy too, the ultimate FTB.

Spark

Global Moderator
I love watching him bat because there’s something about his set up which for some reason makes you able to see his hands manoeuvring the ball. I dunno what it is, but it’s something more noticeable to me with him than with other players. Like you can see his hands change the angle of the bat mid shot somehow.

Probably an illusion.

Maybe because he plays so late but with that odd set up, I dunno. It’s odd. He’s odd.

my face is odd.

and my posts.
Yeah like if batting is all about "how well you execute the absolute minutae of classical shotmaking" then Smith is 'ugly', but if batting is about, well, batsmanship, adapting to conditions, solving problems on the fly etc etc then Smith is probably the most interesting batsman to watch that I've personally seen. His adaptability is on another level compared to even the truly great batsmen in my lifetime.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Rohit and Maxwell are quality fc batsmen though and Rohit has done very well in tests away since being an opener and was always godly at home. Maxwell would have had a good record too if he was played instead of the hapless Head. Bairstow’s also done well in at least two test years right?

no need to bash the other batsmen who would still be good in 90s ODIs to prop up Smith, his odi reputation only suffers because Australia have been big brain moving him to four occasionally and because Australia care much less about JAMODIs compared to most other countries. He’s a world class number three and accumulator who can also be aggressive

The_Bunny

State Regular
IIRC Smith averaged something like 21 after 38 ODI, Got played everywhere from 3-8 and basically didn't know his role. Has been a fairly exceptional Odi player since then.
On the earlier discussions re. Ponting, I always felt it was his India record that let him down more the poor end to his career.
Even when he was at his peak averaging nearly 60, he averaged something like 16 in India. Just too big a hole in his record for a top 10 all time batsman for me.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Weird thing about Ponting was his best two tours of India came towards the end of his career when he was otherwise in decline. Neither of them were world beating, but a decent improvement on his previous output there. Averaged 46 in 08 and 56 in 2010. Latter was his most consistent - three 70s in four digs. In 08 he had a ton and an 80 but not much in between.

Gob

International Coach
Weird thing about Ponting was his best two tours of India came towards the end of his career when he was otherwise in decline. Neither of them were world beating, but a decent improvement on his previous output there. Averaged 46 in 08 and 56 in 2010. Latter was his most consistent - three 70s in four digs. In 08 he had a ton and an 80 but not much in between.
Think he got better playing spin but his reflections gave away against pace especially when it comes to playing on quicker wickets in Australia

TheJediBrah

IIRC Smith averaged something like 21 after 38 ODI, Got played everywhere from 3-8 and basically didn't know his role. Has been a fairly exceptional Odi player since then.
On the earlier discussions re. Ponting, I always felt it was his India record that let him down more the poor end to his career.
Even when he was at his peak averaging nearly 60, he averaged something like 16 in India. Just too big a hole in his record for a top 10 all time batsman for me.
Not that it excuses his record there by a long shot, but Ponting's "peak" mostly missed tours to India. The one that Aus had right in the middle of that time was 2004 and he missed it with injury

Not sure where your average of 16 comes from but I can only assume it's just the 2001 tour and the 1 game he played in 2004 where batting was a lottery on a nightmare pitch (Michael Clarke 6/9 game)

Gob

International Coach
Not that it excuses his record there by a long shot, but Ponting's "peak" mostly missed tours to India. The one that Aus had right in the middle of that time was 2004 and he missed it with injury

Not sure where your average of 16 comes from but I can only assume it's just the 2001 tour and the 1 game he played in 2004 where batting was a lottery on a nightmare pitch (Michael Clarke 6/9 game)
Faked it tbh. Too scared to face Herb

a regular Vernon

Gob

International Coach
ftr think he played an off test in India in 96. There was a sixty odd to his name before that 01 tour

TheJediBrah

In fact Ponting's bad record in India is almost entirely down to 2001 and beforehand. After 2001 he averages 40 in India (still not great tbf)

The_Bunny

State Regular
I would think that 1996 would not be part of his "peak averaging nearly 60"
The 16 was just the number that came to mind, I remember it was very low at the time but haven't actually looked it up.
He did improve on it quite significantly in the end but at the time it was the major reason why a lot of people still put Lara and Tendulkar in front of him.
His peak I was referring to was 06/07 when his test average was extremely close to 60 and he was nearly undisputed best batsman in the world.