• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where does Ricky Ponting rank?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The stats are less well laid-out than they could be - they've got a load of Did Not Bowls when you could just have a list of batting innings (given that the batting is all that matters)

C_C

International Captain
Ponting = on a rung below alltime greats like Lara, Tendulkar, Richards, Chappell..in top 20 alltime, outside of top 10.

Craig

World Traveller
I've always said Ponting is a very, very fine batsman but that it's no coincidence that his career took-off the way it did at the precise moment run-scoring became so easy. There are all sorts of other batsmen who started scoring heaps more than they had previously around about the same time: Hayden, Laxman, Dravid, Kallis, Martyn, etc. At virtually no other time in the game's history have we had an abundance of players averaging in the 50s, 60s and even 70s over 4 or 5 years. The reasons for this are well-discussed: poor flat pitches, abysmal quality cricket-balls, rubbish bowlers, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe being included in Test statistics, the like.

One final point: yes, Craig, Ponting's knock against Bangladesh was a superb one. Here's something for you, though: these two knocks by Matthew Hayden were also superb. Believe me, I know, I watched them. Does that mean that game should be classed a Test, too?
Well the Hayden knock clearly not since it was between two FC teams in the County Championship, I didn't see the innings Hayden played for obvious reasons. I don't see the relevence tbh between the two since Ponting was in an official Test match. Like or not it was a Test so accept it please? If it were Zimbabwe I would agree, but it wasn't so I disagree.

Didn't you read what I said about his record in India or is that bit a bit too hard for some people? And if you go on about his ave in India, then I will give you Rahul Dravid, minus his 233.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Didn't you read what I said about his record in India or is that bit a bit too hard for some people? And if you go on about his ave in India, then I will give you Rahul Dravid, minus his 233.
Problem is you said he certainly has got runs in all conditions which isn't true. Anyway, Dravid's record in Australia minus the 233 is still better than Ponting's record in India...even his record from his first tour to Australia is slightly better than Ponting's in India.

R_D

International Debutant
Ponting = on a rung below alltime greats like Lara, Tendulkar, Richards, Chappell..in top 20 alltime, outside of top 10.
Yeah true at the moments but like Faaip said once his career is closer to finish or finished we will be able to get a better picture of where he rates amongs the great batsman. By the time Ponting is finished i'm sure he'll be considered amongst the best the likes of Lara, Tendulkar and Richard an co. He just needs to improve his stats in india which surely he'll do in next series. You can't be this good for so long even thou pitches maybe flat and bowleing standards being pretty low. I used to be one of the doubters but after wtaching Ponting bat this summer i'm pretty sure he'll be reagrded as one of the top batsman no doubt.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well, I'll give you Bradman, without his centuries. :blink: And as Dasa mentioned, even if you take it out, its still better. Regardless, where did I claim that Dravid was better than Ponting? I do not believe that he is.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Craig said:
ok it is a different game, but the pitches, outfields, grounds are the same and the bowlers (to an extent) are as well.
No, they are not. Sure, the pitches might be flatter than average but playing in India is very different from playing in Sri Lanka. A hundred on-field and off-the-field things are completely different. A lot of players succeed in one place and not the other.

open365

International Vice-Captain
His statistics over the last 4 years or so are quite phenomenal, but like Rich said, so are a lot of other players.

His statistcal prowess certainly puts him ahead of everyone in the modern ear atm(by that i mean Kallis/Yousuf not Lara/Tendulkar).

However, judging just on technique, i would not place him ahead of Tendulkar and Lara. I know his weigh of runs says different, but the way he bats to me just doesn't seem as good as Sachin or Lara.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well the Hayden knock clearly not since it was between two FC teams in the County Championship, I didn't see the innings Hayden played for obvious reasons. I don't see the relevence tbh between the two since Ponting was in an official Test match. Like or not it was a Test so accept it please? If it were Zimbabwe I would agree, but it wasn't so I disagree.
For me, Bangladesh are no more a Test-class team than Warwickshire.

The relevance is that it's possible to play a quality innings against a non-Test-class team, whether that team's Bangladesh or Warwickshire - and it's Test-class, not Test-playing, that matters to me.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, they are not. Sure, the pitches might be flatter than average but playing in India is very different from playing in Sri Lanka. A hundred on-field and off-the-field things are completely different. A lot of players succeed in one place and not the other.
Off the field surely but give me what's the major difference between stuff purely on the cricket-field between, say, The Wankhede Mumbai and RPS Colombo?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting is probably the best at the moment and when he retires will be considered an all-time great in the same vein as Lara or Tendulkar. If he keeps this up, even better than them.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Ponting is probably the best at the moment and when he retires will be considered an all-time great in the same vein as Lara or Tendulkar. If he keeps this up, even better than them.
Nah, I don't really think so. Don't let SS hear you say that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd say it's utterly ridiculous to equate Ponting to either, or to Stephen Waugh for that matter.

Or Rahul Dravid too.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Tbf you've labelled so many things utterly ridiculous, when they patently aren't, that the phrase has lost all meaning. :p

Do you need a dictionary to clarify the difference between something being "incorrect" (in your opinion), and something being "ridiculous"?

C_C

International Captain
Regardless of the stats Ponting posts, unless he scores runs vs top callibre bowling like McWarne like those two have while batting in a weak batting lineup and succeeds in India, Ponting would never be in Lara-Tendulkar class.