• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where does Lara rate?

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
My view on this is similar to my Murali v Warne view. They're both amazingly good, I couldn't give a monkey's who's better, I'm just gonna enjoy watching them, and hopefully I will see Lara and Tendulkar next year.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I hope Lara plays on till the World Cup. I plan on going to the Carribean for it, so being able to see hime one more time would be great.
:cry: It was only just over a year ago I thought I was going.

Ah well, there's always 2011 in India, or at the very worst 2015 in Aus. :dry:

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Lara is so far superior to Tendulkar, Ponting, Dravid and Inzy it's not even funny.......

Lara is one of the top 3 batsmen since Bradman era (Sobers, Viv and Lara)

dass

Banned
Lara is so far superior to Tendulkar, Ponting, Dravid and Inzy it's not even funny.......

Lara is one of the top 3 batsmen since Bradman era (Sobers, Viv and Lara)

Lara is no way superior to these guys in technique, infact he is much lower.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
When you are the lone warrior, your accomplishments often get blown out of proportions( nomatter how incredible those accomplishments are, an extra gloss is always added due to public perceptions).
Reminds me of someone else to be honest. :laugh:

------------

I have a hard time picking between these two. You could put a poll up one day and I'll vote Sachin and then the next day I'll vote Lara. I also agree with Mr Mxyzptlk in a lot of ways. I do think Lara is under- appreciated, whether statistically or not.

adharcric

International Coach
Nothing compares to the Warne-Murali debate.
Racism being brought up every 5 minutes, pathetic arguments being used and people resorting to personal insults.
Lara-Tendulkar is far more civilized than that but pointless nevertheless. For some reason, people keep digging it up.

Last edited:

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Something I never understood is why people argue against Sachin because he has so many not outs. If India were a team that didn't declare so much or make big scores, it would be an argument that could make sense. But it makes no sense because it's basically saying, "Sachin's average is higher because people couldn't get him out, so he's worse than Lara." The fact that Sachin has so many not outs says bowlers couldn't get him out.

It is just another reason why stats shouldn't be trusted though. I mean Mike Hussey is a fine player, but his ODI average is too high because of his not outs. Then again, the fact that bowlers can't get him out at the death says something special about him. How do you know which way to look at it? By not trusting stats and trusting your eyes.

As for Lara, which is what this thread was originally about...

If you watched cricket from 1993-1995 you would swear Lara would go on to become the second best batsman ever after Bradman. I forget the period of time, I think I saw it on wikipedia, but for a period of time before the 1999 Australia series, for a couple of years Lara averaged around 30, taking his average from 60 down to 50... those were bad years because the West Indies had more match winners in those days, yet Lara let them down.

From there, my general feeling on Lara has been that he was always good for a big score, and that's helped his stats. For example, the year he got 400* meant that he could score 8 ducks and end up with an average of 50. His average was of course high for that year, but if Ponting of Yousuf made that score they'd average well over 100 for the year.

For me, Lara is one of the ten best batsman of all time.

(gotta cut my post short, finish later)