• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where does Imran Khan rank?

Where does Imran Khan rank all time as a test cricketer?

• Total voters

kingkallis

International Coach
Don Bradman
Garfield Sobers
Jacques Kallis
Imran Khan
Richard Hadlee
Malcolm Marshall
Viv Richards
Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist
AB de Villiers

Keith Miller, Jack Hobbs misses out.

number11

State 12th Man
Overall as a test cricketer, Imran is top 5 - 10 of alltime. He is the 2nd greatest AR ever, a very top tier fast bowler and a fine captain. Pretty good bat as well.

From 1970 to now, he is probably #1. Maybe 2 to IVA Richards.

Slifer

International Captain
Overall as a test cricketer, Imran is top 5 - 10 of alltime. He is the 2nd greatest AR ever, a very top tier fast bowler and a fine captain. Pretty good bat as well.

From 1970 to now, he is probably #1. Maybe 2 to IVA Richards.
Imran is a better cricketer than sir Viv, no questions asked.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Don Bradman
Garfield Sobers
Jacques Kallis
Imran Khan
Richard Hadlee
Malcolm Marshall
Viv Richards
Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist
AB de Villiers

Keith Miller, Jack Hobbs misses out.
Kallis and Devil over Miller, McGrath, Murali, Warne and Hobbs? Rest 8 are perfect.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This

Pakistani bowlers have always been swing reliant. Mohammad Asif was an exception who was a seam bowler, but other than that almost all have relied on swing to get wickets, which is why they generally do well in England.
Yeah but I think the other point, at least since Sarfraz Imran pair formed, is also about reverse swing. And again, that is the surprise for me as the hard outfields of Australia are probably more helpful to find reverse than the soft fields in England?

Its also interesting how often Pak tend to produce batting paradises in their home games even though bowling is very clearly their strength most of the time. India have also often gone with bowling friendly tracks in India even though batting has been our strength.

shortpitched713

International Captain
It depends on if you define "Test cricketer" as best measurable and tangible output on a cricket pitch, or if you include captaincy and leadership into that mix.

With the latter, Imran is easily top 5. On talent, his sides had no business drawing two series against the West Indies, and to me he gets an incredible amount of credit for doing that, and also he was very good at utilizing overall team bowling talent, despite himself being a bowler, something which a certain current Australian captain might tell you, is no easy task. Of all post war all time great cricketers, he is easily my first choice for captain. (Miandad also for one of the ATG vice-captains as well).

If you are only including individual output as a batsman / bowler, then actually doing the math, it's not as easy as it appears to put Imran in the top 5. To me, Imran is the greatest all-rounder of all time ( although I rate all-rounders who are genuine front line bowlers ahead of other all-rounders, so I might have a different criteria than most ). This is great for a first pick in an all-time no Bradman draft, but I still don't rate him as a greater cricketer than Sobers. In addition, I don't rate his bowling quite as high as many others do. I'd put him with Warne and Wasim in the roughly 10-13 greatest modern bowlers. So for me I find I have to pick some players who are more superlative in their primary skill above him.

Bradman is a shoe-in, so you've only got 4 more slots to play with. McGrath and Sobers are also easily above Imran for impact in their primary discipline, in my opinion. Then there are a bunch of players who it's really hard to compare with. Guys like Murali, Weekes, etc. You could reasonably place one or both of them above Imran but you're making strange judgement calls in picking one definitively over another. Push comes to shove though, I'm putting them both over Imran, so suddenly Imran is out of my top 5. After that, I do definitely place him among the top 10, with guys like Lara, Hadlee, and Gavaskar but yeah, this is no straightforward exercise.

Also, you'll notice the exclusion of any pre WWII players in my conversation. To me, I don't really know the game from then, and can only really conjecture from the footage, so other than Bradman I don't really include them in many of these kinds of choices. But there are others who are not so reticent. I imagine for them there are even more worthy candidates, who keep Imran out of the top 5. So this isn't such a crazy consensus to be bucking, by not including him in there.

TLDR: Imran is the greatest Pakistani cricketer, and one of the closest to my heart that I am most grateful for. Objective analysis always makes things more complicated and less straightforward though.

Last edited:

ataraxia

International Coach
It depends on if you define "Test cricketer" as best measurable and tangible output on a cricket pitch, or if you include captaincy and leadership into that mix.

With the latter, Imran is easily top 5. On talent, his sides had no business drawing two series against the West Indies, and to me he gets an incredible amount of credit for doing that, and also he was very good at utilizing overall team bowling talent, despite himself being a bowler, something which a certain current Australian captain might tell you, is no easy task. Of all post war all time great cricketers, he is easily my first choice for captain. (Miandad also for one of the ATG vice-captains as well).

If you are only including individual output as a batsman / bowler, then actually doing the math, it's not as easy as it appears to put Imran in the top 5. To me, Imran is the greatest all-rounder of all time ( although I rate all-rounders who are genuine front line bowlers ahead of other all-rounders, so I might have a different criteria than most ). This is great for a first pick in an all-time no Bradman draft, but I still don't rate him as a greater cricketer than Sobers. In addition, I don't rate his bowling quite as high as many others do. I'd put him with Warne and Wasim in the roughly 10-13 greatest modern bowlers. So for me I find I have to pick some players who are more superlative in their primary skill above him.

Bradman is a shoe-in, so you've only got 4 more slots to play with. McGrath and Sobers are also easily above Imran for impact in their primary discipline, in my opinion. Then there are a bunch of players who it's really hard to compare with. Guys like Murali, Weekes, etc. You could reasonably place one or both of them above Imran but you're making strange judgement calls in picking one definitively over another. Push comes to shove though, I'm putting them both over Imran, so suddenly Imran is out of my top 5. After that, I do definitely place him among the top 10, with guys like Lara, Hadlee, and Gavaskar but yeah, this is no straightforward exercise.

Also, you'll notice the exclusion of any pre WWII players in my conversation. To me, I don't really know the game from then, and can only really conjecture from the footage, so other than Bradman I don't really include them in many of these kinds of choices. But there are others who are not so reticent. I imagine for them there are even more worthy candidates, who keep Imran out of the top 5. So this isn't such a crazy consensus to be bucking, by not including him in there.

TLDR: Imran is the greatest Pakistani cricketer, and one of the closest to my heart that I am most grateful for. Objective analysis always makes things more complicated and less straightforward though.
I don't get how one could possibly rate McGrath over Imran. The difference in bowling is at the biggest 21 v 24; I don't see how that is possibly not outweighed by the fact that battingwise, Imran is halfway from McGrath to Weekes.

shortpitched713

International Captain
McGrath did it for so, so long. Whereas Imran struggled with injury and a gradual, but complete change in role.

It's not a simple multiplication exercise in my mind, but the quality longevity of McGrath as a bowler puts him so far ahead of many other bowlers, who on face could be a reasonable match to him.

ataraxia

International Coach
McGrath did it for so, so long. Whereas Imran struggled with injury and a gradual, but complete change in role.

It's not a simple multiplication exercise in my mind, but the quality longevity of McGrath as a bowler puts him so far ahead of many other bowlers, who on face could be a reasonable match to him.
13 years.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Yeah, with no let up at all, with a late modern era schedule load too (although not quite English Test spam, but still), and diabolically conditions independent. That is incredible for a pacer.

subshakerz

International Coach

One could argue that Imran's higher peak mitigates some of McGrath's longevity advantage. I also definitely consider Imran a better bowler on roads.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
This

Pakistani bowlers have always been swing reliant. Mohammad Asif was an exception who was a seam bowler, but other than that almost all have relied on swing to get wickets, which is why they generally do well in England.
Air speed is an obvious thing that many of the best Pakistani fast bowlers rely on. You can get conventional and reverse swing in Pak/Eng/NZ that compliment that. It is of course an option to bowl full and fast in Australia but not as the main method.