• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where does all this leave club cricket ?

Woodster

International Captain
Bearing in mind that our season returns in October, yep absolutely. We're moving through a levels system and are about to move to level 2, which allows for community sport to go ahead. Basically anything going ahead now can be done as long as they can contact trace - the ability to know where the virus came from if someone happened to get it. So they're keeping groups smaller in restaurants, bars, all those sorts of things, things like community sport can be done because you know the names of the people playing. But with big crowds you wouldn't.

Community sport is going ahead with contact sports like rugby, football etc so I see no reason cricket wouldn't. In terms of changes to the structure? I guess the only one would be around distancing in the changing rooms, operating the bar/food the same as the provisions for hospitality are to the general public and so on. And I think the ICC or whoever are coming up with guidelines around the ball? No shining or whatever it may be?

As Australia have done well with the virus and parts of their country play cricket in the winter months, I guess we'll have the luxury of seeing how they handle it first.

But yeah, I feel genuinely sorry for the UK if they're not getting to play club cricket this summer. The winter months have been robbed of football, and now there's nothing else particularly to look forward to in a bleak time of life. The thought of the old Common I used to play on lying dormant all summer is actually bloody sad. Usually such a hive of fun and activity, a real community binder.
Yes in NZ you’re certainly in a much better position than we are over here and much more likely to see some club cricket this year. Yes it’s a pretty glum outlook over here at the moment in terms of actually getting any club cricket in (even county cricket for that matter), but I think the general mindset is that everyone wants it back but safety has to be of paramount importance and I can’t see any guarantees of that in the near to medium future.

As of tomorrow we can exercise or play golf with one member of another household, I think that may also include having a net with someone but I think that may require further confirmation from the ECB and come down to each club’s take on the matter.

Woodster

International Captain
Gold Coast vets (40+) start training on Saturday with approval of Queensland Cricket so I think it’s fair to assume that club competition will go ahead in summer unless we’re hit by a prolonged 2nd wave over winter
Well that sounds optimistic! Fingers crossed the disease is contained as well as possible in that area then.

Woodster

International Captain
At the moment I can't see overseas players being allowed in to play in WA's grade and club competitions. Our borders are still closed to overseas and interstate visitors with only those providing essential services (eg food imports) allowed in. A 14 day quarantine period is imposed on those returning from overseas to WA.

Our strict controls mean our 2 AFL teams will have to locate elsewhere to compete in the national competition. However, restrictions are being gradually lifted so who knows what the piucture will be like for the opening of the cricket season?
I suppose a lot can change in a few months, but only so much until a vaccine is discovered. Yes I’d imagine there’ll be a serious dearth of overseas player this coming season over there. Will that have much of an effect on the competitions ? Over here (despite ridiculous Home Office regulations) the overseas player is still a key part of most clubs fabric and aswell as lifting the morale around a club/community they do generally increase the quality, presuming it’s not quite the same over there unless a club manages to snare a county player or county 2nd XI player ?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The same general guidelines, by and large, for any other business. Sanitising equipment, 2m distancing, limits on class sizes, water stations off, mandatory towels etc.
so no limit on people in the gym or having to book times or anything like that?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
so no limit on people in the gym or having to book times or anything like that?
Limits on people in the gym, yep. Booking times, that might differ from gym to gym. I'm going off the Les Mills site, which doesn't suggest that's happening.

TheJediBrah

Limits on people in the gym, yep. Booking times, that might differ from gym to gym. I'm going off the Les Mills site, which doesn't suggest that's happening.
Yeah that's what I was expecting. If there's a limit on people in the gym then it follows that you're probably going to need to book. Otherwise you can rock up and be denied entry and, what, wait in line until someone leaves?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah that's what I was expecting. If there's a limit on people in the gym then it follows that you're probably going to need to book. Otherwise you can rock up and be denied entry and, what, wait in line until someone leaves?
Not sure. Les Mills is a massive gym/business, maybe they've worked on creating a booking system but I'm not sure. That would make the most sense but I guess with gyms that don't have the resources or knowledge to create a booking system, then you'd just have to wait.

TheJediBrah

Not sure. Les Mills is a massive gym/business, maybe they've worked on creating a booking system but I'm not sure. That would make the most sense but I guess with gyms that don't have the resources or knowledge to create a booking system, then you'd just have to wait.
It's not going to work out well for them. A lot of gyms around here are 24 hour and people pay for and expect that service, to be able to go whenever they want for however long as they want. I can see these gym's finances being hit very hard with these limitations.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Better to open some of the time than not at all though, from the gym's perspective.