• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where does all this leave club cricket ?

Woodster

International Captain
It goes without saying that everything that has gone one in the last few months overshadows most things completely and that includes sport, However as a number of countries start to look towards re-integrating sport at a professional level (for cricket it’s likely to be international in the UK rather than domestic) where will the amateur game stand and what changes can we expect to see when it does finally return in a safe environment ?

Personally I think there’s little chance of getting any club cricket in this season and while the ECB are supporting clubs with various grants and loans there will be clubs severely affected by an abandoned season.

Will we see less players getting paid ? Overseas players only for the more well-off clubs ? What’s the situation with club/grade/semi-pro cricket in other countries ?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Speaking from a New Zealand standpoint, our government is indicating that very soon we'll be back into club sport. And that includes contact sports like rugby. Because we've gone close to eliminating the virus (I think from memory we have about 100-odd active cases and are getting 1-2 new cases a day max) they're allowing closer contact as long as contact tracing is able to be done, which is obviously not an issue. There are still provisions around crowds etc though where the ability to track and trace them is not as easy. So I can see our summer club cricket going ahead, as well as domestic cricket - although not international cricket as our borders will be closed until a vaccine is developed.

Not sure of the English situation or anywhere else in the world, but unless you're very confident community transmission is basically non-existent, it's hard to imagine club sport especially being encouraged. The NRL (rugby league competition in Australia) is going ahead in 3 weeks, with a lot of sides based in small communities and existing/training solely within their environment - ie at a resort - going to the game, then coming back.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Here in Western Australia, even though we still have our state borders closed and professionals may have to go interstate to play, there is a good indication that club cricket may resume. They are talking about gatherings of 20 or less, social distancing and no physical contact. The 20 only needs a small increase to make club cricket viable.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
An announcement is expected this week as to the start date of winter cricket in Queensland

Will be either June or July

Rumour is that T20 will be cancelled but India will tour in summer

Situation is much better here & in NZ than other countries

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Speaking from a New Zealand standpoint, our government is indicating that very soon we'll be back into club sport. And that includes contact sports like rugby. Because we've gone close to eliminating the virus (I think from memory we have about 100-odd active cases and are getting 1-2 new cases a day max) they're allowing closer contact as long as contact tracing is able to be done, which is obviously not an issue. There are still provisions around crowds etc though where the ability to track and trace them is not as easy. So I can see our summer club cricket going ahead, as well as domestic cricket - although not international cricket as our borders will be closed until a vaccine is developed.

Not sure of the English situation or anywhere else in the world, but unless you're very confident community transmission is basically non-existent, it's hard to imagine club sport especially being encouraged. The NRL (rugby league competition in Australia) is going ahead in 3 weeks, with a lot of sides based in small communities and existing/training solely within their environment - ie at a resort - going to the game, then coming back.
Yes the state we’re in over here I’d be amazed if club cricket can start safely at any point during this summer.

I’ve monitored the spread (or lack) of the disease in places like NZ and Australia and they have certainly been able to manage the spread with far greater success than we have over here, unsurprisingly given a number of factors.

So you do envisage a return to cricket at club level without any changes to the structure or the regulations of league cricket ? Basically, business as usual ?

Woodster

International Captain
Here in Western Australia, even though we still have our state borders closed and professionals may have to go interstate to play, there is a good indication that club cricket may resume. They are talking about gatherings of 20 or less, social distancing and no physical contact. The 20 only needs a small increase to make club cricket viable.

Yes again, seems likely that cricket will get underway over there this year. Is the grade cricket likely to start at the start time of the year without any need for a delayed season ? What do you think will happen with regards overseas players coming over and playing grade cricket, will those players not be allowed to travel ?

Tom Flint

International Regular
Our little club rely just as much on our bar and colts section than the senior teams. Even if we play this year we will still lose money if we can't open the bar. We have done a go fund me page for our members and raised £5500 in just under a week which should keep us going even if we can't open properly this season.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes the state we’re in over here I’d be amazed if club cricket can start safely at any point during this summer.

I’ve monitored the spread (or lack) of the disease in places like NZ and Australia and they have certainly been able to manage the spread with far greater success than we have over here, unsurprisingly given a number of factors.

So you do envisage a return to cricket at club level without any changes to the structure or the regulations of league cricket ? Basically, business as usual ?
Bearing in mind that our season returns in October, yep absolutely. We're moving through a levels system and are about to move to level 2, which allows for community sport to go ahead. Basically anything going ahead now can be done as long as they can contact trace - the ability to know where the virus came from if someone happened to get it. So they're keeping groups smaller in restaurants, bars, all those sorts of things, things like community sport can be done because you know the names of the people playing. But with big crowds you wouldn't.

Community sport is going ahead with contact sports like rugby, football etc so I see no reason cricket wouldn't. In terms of changes to the structure? I guess the only one would be around distancing in the changing rooms, operating the bar/food the same as the provisions for hospitality are to the general public and so on. And I think the ICC or whoever are coming up with guidelines around the ball? No shining or whatever it may be?

As Australia have done well with the virus and parts of their country play cricket in the winter months, I guess we'll have the luxury of seeing how they handle it first.

But yeah, I feel genuinely sorry for the UK if they're not getting to play club cricket this summer. The winter months have been robbed of football, and now there's nothing else particularly to look forward to in a bleak time of life. The thought of the old Common I used to play on lying dormant all summer is actually bloody sad. Usually such a hive of fun and activity, a real community binder.

social

Gold Coast vets (40+) start training on Saturday with approval of Queensland Cricket so I think it’s fair to assume that club competition will go ahead in summer unless we’re hit by a prolonged 2nd wave over winter

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes again, seems likely that cricket will get underway over there this year. Is the grade cricket likely to start at the start time of the year without any need for a delayed season ? What do you think will happen with regards overseas players coming over and playing grade cricket, will those players not be allowed to travel ?
At the moment I can't see overseas players being allowed in to play in WA's grade and club competitions. Our borders are still closed to overseas and interstate visitors with only those providing essential services (eg food imports) allowed in. A 14 day quarantine period is imposed on those returning from overseas to WA.

Our strict controls mean our 2 AFL teams will have to locate elsewhere to compete in the national competition. However, restrictions are being gradually lifted so who knows what the piucture will be like for the opening of the cricket season?

stephen

Level 1 easing in Queensland is happening this weekend. Level 2 easing is scheduled for June 13. Level 3 easing will review interstate travel (though there is no scheduled date for that yet).

Which means we could see interstate sports from as early as July or August perhaps. Probably the NRL and AFL will be allowed to resume earlier given their economic importance.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
We (NZ) can only have community sport with 10 or fewer on the field so not happening for winter sport yet.
I didn't know that until you posted - I thought it was larger with the ability to contact trace.

That's ****ing stupid. Such an arbitrary number. Netball has what, 14, and we rule it out based on that.

Our government has done some good stuff, but it's also done some outrageously dumb stuff, hurtful to business and the livelihood of people. Like bars not being open for a week after Level 2 starts. Or this 10 number, which OK that can apply to other contexts but for god's sake. I'm a teacher, and I have a group of 27 13-year-olds rocking up on Monday to be in a smallish classroom and to do PE, for which we've been told is fine as long as we 'try' to physically distance and we sanitize the equipment after use. Which is absolutely fine.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, in the last nine days we've dropped from over 200 active cases to under 80, so another week should further improve the odds.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair enough. Maybe I'm just wilted after 40 days of time inside with a 5 and a 3 year old. I need a beer.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just open the gyms. Rest the world can rot afaic

not srs, stay safe rest of the world

open the gyms tho