• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where do England go from here?

Swervy

International Captain
Definately favourites against the West Indies, but against India I think a fair bit will depend on who the Indian selectors pick in their touring squad.
If India beat England in the tests , it will be one hell of an achievement by the Indians

Swervy

International Captain
Against WI definately.Against India England are probably just marginal favourites as the series is in July/August. Historicaaly (with the exception of 1986 when England were a shambles) if India do something in England it is in the second half of the summer (1971, the drawn series in 2002 and the heroic draw at the Oval in 1979 when Gavaskar got a 200, they nearly broke their (then) world record run chase and by all accounts even Mike Brearley was briefly flustered).If the series had been played when the WI one is being played England would be clear favourites but IMO as it is in the second half of the season it evens up the odds...
its a fair point, of course if its a crappy summer weather wise, England become stronger favourites

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Last ashes series he was second in England's averages against an attack i don't rate that much worse than the one in 05.
You think that the Aussie bowling attack from 06/07 was worse than the one in 05? :huh:

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Ahh, the England v Kiwi chatter is beginning to take the place of the traditional England v Australia stuff. Good to see.

I hear that the Kiwis have already bought all the tickets for the RWC play-off for third place. Bring on the gag reflex come semi final time.:dry:
Lol. Ofcourse Kiwi's are gonna buy tickets for the 3rd place match. Its called being smart :p

Couldn't care less about Rugby tbbh

Back to England, its not that bad, still good at 'real cricket'. I'd rather my team be good at Test's and suck at ODI's more than the other way round.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Definately favourites against the West Indies, but against India I think a fair bit will depend on who the Indian selectors pick in their touring squad.
I don't know, India are a bit dodgy outside of the subcontinent and England are that much stronger at home. I'd pick England as favorites, tbh.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Against WI definately.Against India England are probably just marginal favourites as the series is in July/August. Historicaaly (with the exception of 1986 when England were a shambles) if India do something in England it is in the second half of the summer (1971, the drawn series in 2002 and the heroic draw at the Oval in 1979 when Gavaskar got a 200, they nearly broke their (then) world record run chase and by all accounts even Mike Brearley was briefly flustered).If the series had been played when the WI one is being played England would be clear favourites but IMO as it is in the second half of the season it evens up the odds...
Dead right, especially the way the weather'***pected to turn out. The only counter-argument is that if England make the right selections from the start of the summer, then India will be facing a settled attack, whereas at present it's a bit up-in-the-air. Interesting calls to be made, afaics. It's quite possible that by 2009 Fred will be the only one of the 2005 attack still playing tests, and that depends on his fitness. If I'm right, then we need to see some brave selections this summer rather than just carry on hoping that class of 2005 will find their form again.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
It just isn't going to happen to be honest. With Kumble being their only good bowler, your going to have real trouble getting us all out.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I wouldn't go so far as to say it isn't going to happen. How quickly India is able to organize a viable Test unit after their recent turmoil is going to be of the utmost importance. I don't think they're incapable, but they have to have the right people at the helm and the team has to be working as a cohesive unit. No mean feat for an Indian side. Their pace attack has made strides, and with the return of Zaheer Khan, who has had relative success in County cricket I can see their seam attack posing a threat to England, especially after the results they had in South Africa.

Last edited:

Salamuddin

International Debutant
India's bowlers were good enough to take 20 wickets in South Africa (where they didn't have a fully fit Munaf patel) and in the West Indies last year.
Honestly an attack of MUnaf, Zaheer, Sreesanth, Harby and KUmble is certainly one of the better attacks India have put out in a while.

ANd it's not like England is a fortress like Australia....Sri Lanka tied their series there last year.

Nah, the real issue for me is whether India's bats are up to the task......India's batting lineup let them down in RSA, not really their bowlers....If their batsmen had not choked in cape Town, I reckon India would have come away with a series draw if not an outright
victory.

So yeah, if they can get the runs, I think the series will be hard fought....

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
There is one thing the whole world needs to learn from England on whats never such a good idea.....

Select the captain first because you feel he is the best captain even if he doesnt, necessarily, command a permanent place in the side.

Its a terrible idea (irrespective of Brearley) and is worse than the second one used by some other sides ....

Select the best player in the side as captain irrespective of how good a captain he is.

Flintoff, by the way, fails on both counts :laugh:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Name me one other Indian bowler, other than Kumble, that could survive on a flat track?
I can't really see the English bowlers bar Flintoff doing much on a flat track either. If it comes down to who is better on flat tracks, the series will be close imo.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
When's Jones back from his knee/hip/pelvis reconstruction?

Truth be told, I've never seen a (as an Australian) more dismaying England attack when he's part of it.

Swervy

International Captain
I can't really see the English bowlers bar Flintoff doing much on a flat track either. If it comes down to who is better on flat tracks, the series will be close imo.
Hoggard can do fine on flat tracks, as long as the ball is swinging, which it tends to do in England.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
When's Jones back from his knee/hip/pelvis reconstruction?

Truth be told, I've never seen a (as an Australian) more dismaying England attack when he's part of it.
He's due to start the county season on schedule with Glamorgan, apparently. Whether he makes it into the international reckoning in time for the Test series, who knows.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Name me one other Indian bowler, other than Kumble, that could survive on a flat track?
Zaheer Khan, Sreesanth and Munaf Patel could all do quite well in English conditions. On a rea flat deck though I can see Sreesanth getting carted a bit but both Munaf and Zaheer can keep it pretty tight and accurate, and with backup from Kumble then the Indian attack is in pretty good order. It's the batting that worries me, especially if the pitches are going to assist Harmison and Flintoff with their pace and bounce.