• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Whats your Fav. Shot?

iamdavid

International Debutant
The cut shot is definately my strength , Ive hit sixes with it.

Nothing really beats when you crunch a straight drive though , you really know you're in form when that shot is coming off.

deeps

International 12th Man
oh, a flick on the legside,ala mark waugh is beautiful to watch as well... unfortunately i can't play it :(, i keep getting plumb lbw...So i save it for net sessions till i can play it welL!

Warne is god

U19 12th Man
Me and a few mates play street cricket so i'd say a shot down square leg (convinently down a driveway) or the Ryan Cambell scoopshot (down a hill)

Eclipse

International Debutant
I like the stright drive and Off drive.

It feel's so good when you just lay into an offside drive as hard as you can and send it racing to the fence all along the ground.

It's not my favorire shot but when I play a perfect ondrive I feel like I am really in good form and my feet are moving well and I am getting right over the top of the ball.

To be honest though I like any shot that is hit hard and timed really well wether it be a cut shot cover drive or pull shot I dont really care.

And I hate to play the same shot to often dont know why but if I get three balls exactly the same the first two are usualy played the same but I always have to try somthing diffrent to the third.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Eclipse said:
I hate to play the same shot to often dont know why but if I get three balls exactly the same the first two are usualy played the same but I always have to try somthing diffrent to the third.

Does that mean you try to square cut leg stump yorkers? I did that once when I was 14...Ended up with a broken toe:( I looked incredibly stupid

Eclipse

International Debutant
halsey said:
Does that mean you try to square cut leg stump yorkers? I did that once when I was 14...Ended up with a broken toe:( I looked incredibly stupid
lol not quite.

I would probably attempt to play 2 off the pads and maybe the third as an ondrive.

or if they are real good yorkers I would deffend them obviously.

Craig

World Traveller
vishnureddy said:
My fav shot is inside edge to four. I am working on it to make it more dependable!!
Play it often enough, and you can then say you play it deliberatly :D :D

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I think Michael Vaughan needs to make his inside edge more dependable. Whenever he inside edges it, it goes on to his stumps

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
halsey said:
I think Michael Vaughan needs to make his inside edge more dependable. Whenever he inside edges it, it goes on to his stumps
Err... no.
I could give you countless examples of Vaughan inside-edges that have missed the stumps. Just like any batsman.
On average 1 inside-edge in 10 will remove the bails.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Err... no.
I could give you countless examples of Vaughan inside-edges that have missed the stumps. Just like any batsman.

But what if the inside edge deserved to dismiss him?

I think in such a case the batsman should stand on his stumps next ball to be fair to the bowler (even if it was a crap ball and didn't deserve a wicket)

Eclipse

International Debutant
Richard said:
Err... no.
On avrage your posts make sense 1 in 10 times.

back to the topic though well you are probably right on a broad scale but it's not the same for all batsman. Some dont leave as big a gap between bat and pad as others and therefore inside edges have less chance of beating the pad/body and hitting the stumps. Also some batsman play shots that are going to bring about more inside edges heading toward's the stumps ie Gilchrist and his cuts shots form very good length balls close to offstump.

H Gibbs is one that I have lost count how many times he has been bowled playing on it's happend so many times I am not prepared to accept that it's just bad luck anymore.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eclipse said:
On avrage your posts make sense 1 in 10 times.

back to the topic though well you are probably right on a broad scale but it's not the same for all batsman. Some dont leave as big a gap between bat and pad as others and therefore inside edges have less chance of beating the pad/body and hitting the stumps. Also some batsman play shots that are going to bring about more inside edges heading toward's the stumps ie Gilchrist and his cuts shots form very good length balls close to offstump.

H Gibbs is one that I have lost count how many times he has been bowled playing on it's happend so many times I am not prepared to accept that it's just bad luck anymore.
Of course it's not the same for all batsmen - same way let-offs:innings ratios aren't the same. That's why you need a first-chance average.
Jayasuriya probably drags-on even more than Gibbs. Of course it's not just bad luck. If you get an inside-edge the chances are you've not played the shot properly, or you've tried to play a shot when the ball was wrong line or length or it moved. It's almost impossible to get a ball where you've got no realistic chance of doing anything but dragging-on.
I think this just about dispels marc's excuse for an argument.
While bowlers sometimes deserve some credit for an inside-edge dismissal (whether a catch behind or a bowled) they can't possibly expect every inside-edge to hit the stumps and if a batsman gets an inside-edge past the stumps he's done well enough and got enough on it not to get out.
See?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
The only thing I can see is that your backside posts more than your mouth.
That wasn't needed. If you want to make a point, surely you ought to know that an insult only undermines your position.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sorry.

But what about contradicting oneself?

I guess if you take both sides you can always say you win...