• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What would Sehwag average is he debuted ten years earlier?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Sehwag currently averages 54, and is widely regarded as the most destructive batsman of his time. But after hearing how Ian Chappell placed him in his All-Time XI, I must question if he is really that great or a bit fortunate to be playing in the current era. My query then is what would you feel his average would be if he played in the era of Waqar/Wasim, Donald/Pollock, McGrath/Gillespie, and Walsh/Ambrose? Given that any all-time great is expected to succeed in any era, would he have enjoyed the same exceptional success and boasted an average of 50+? Or would his average have taken a significant hit?
You have been at it since ages!

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Something people should really think about in many of these recent comparisons..
It's basically the only Pews viewpoint I whole-heartedly agree with.

Kinda shocked Richard wasn't involved in this thread, but I guess it would be 30 pages longer if so.

ma1978

International 12th Man
Sehwag’s eye fell away and he played on for 15 tests too long. It’s true many others have done the same but his game made his decline more difficult relative to others.

We can argue about his greatness because he was clearly not a player for all conditions but he was India’s MVP in 70% of the matches they played, and I continue to argue he’s the GOAT in subcontinental conditions. That makes for a highly valuable player for India.

subshakerz

International Coach
Sehwag’s eye fell away and he played on for 15 tests too long. It’s true many others have done the same but his game made his decline more difficult relative to others.

We can argue about his greatness because he was clearly not a player for all conditions but he was India’s MVP in 70% of the matches they played, and I continue to argue he’s the GOAT in subcontinental conditions. That makes for a highly valuable player for India.
I argue the same but I also would argue he was the worst ever great bat in swinging conditions.