• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What would Bradman average if he played in a typical (i.e. neither batsman or bowler favored) period of the modern era (1970 - current)?

What would the Don average if he played some time from 1970 - current time?

• <50

• 50-60

• 60-70

• 70-80

• 80-90

• >100

• 90-100

Results are only viewable after voting.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
We've been over this b4. He faced full strength English attacks in England in 1933 and averaged 55. He faced full English attacks in 1939 and averaged 67. Headley did just fine in England vs their full attacks. Therefore, it's logical to assume that if he faced the same attacks at home he'd do the same or better.

Regarding O'Reilly being missing, it's not , Headley’s fault that Bill debuted in 1932 ie a full year after the WI's one and only tour b4 WW2. The fact remains, he faced a full Aus attack in Australia and he came off 2nd best. Had he faced them at home, I have no doubt he'd have murdered them.
According to CLR James in Beyond a Boundary, Headley (aged 21, in his first cricket outside WI) had looked very good on the off-side in the first few FC matches in that tour, so the Australians bowled leg-theory to him; for the next 5 matches (including the first 2 Tests) he failed; after that, he'd come up with a way to play against it, and averaged 62 in the last 3 Tests (in which WI scored 193, 148, 99, 107, 350-6 and 124-5).

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Obviously none of us will ever know. Just give what you think would be your best guess.

I think he would average 65.72 throughout his career, and would still be considered the GOAT batsman, although not nearly in the statistically untouchable and incomparable sense that he currently ends up being.

It would be fun, because we could use him in drafts and sims and whatever other **** too, because his numbers wouldn't make him an autowin cheat code either, but alas he played back in the day against a bunch of posh wastemen, so we'll never know imo.
I think he would average 53.7 or below.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Was Bradman a fraud?

C. L. R. James, writing about George Headley in his 1963 Beyond a Boundary, made a slightly subjective comparison of the record of Headley and Bradman on sticky pitches (which were very much a matter of opinion and hard to be objective about). James reckoned that Headley averaged 39.85, with seven fifties in 13 innings on what he termed “wet or uncertain” wickets; Bradman managed just 16.66 in similar conditions, with one fifty in 15 innings (James used a list complied by the Australian Ray Robinson for Bradman’s innings). James conceded that the figures were not conclusive but served to prove a point about Headley, who enjoyed batting in conditions which favoured the bowler as it simplified batting: “On a bad wicket, it was you and the bowler … no nonsense.”

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But I never saw averages before. This is quite damning and explosive.
His weakness on wet wickets is pretty well known. He was basically the greatest FTB of all time, and since most pitches in test cricket are pretty flat, he's going to obviously be the most valuable batsmen.