• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What were the technical flaws and weaknesses of these ATG bats?

subshakerz

International Coach
Can you identify the technical shortcomings and bowling weaknesses of some of these best bats of the modern era?

Gavaskar
Viv
Chappell
Border
Tendulkar
Lara
Ponting
Kallis
Dravid
Sanga
Smith

subshakerz

International Coach
I have read Ian Chappell critique his brother for having too much of a classical technique and figured he would struggle against spin as a result.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Tendulkar - Medium pacers with movement, got out to them a bit more than he should have, not a huge weakness though.
Dravid - Run-scoring on bouncy pitches, he could survive on them but struggled to get enough runs.
Smith - Barely has a weakness, but left arm spinners are probably a good bet against him.
Sanga - Off spinners.
Gavaskar - Struggling to think of any, not as good against swing I think as against other pace / spin but can't really be called a weakness.
Ponting - Easiest of the lot, India - specifically Bhajji.
Viv - Bowlers capable of hiding chewing gum.

subshakerz

International Coach
Tendulkar - Medium pacers with movement, got out to them a bit more than he should have, not a huge weakness though.
Dravid - Run-scoring on bouncy pitches, he could survive on them but struggled to get enough runs.
Smith - Barely has a weakness, but left arm spinners are probably a good bet against him.
Sanga - Off spinners.
Gavaskar - Struggling to think of any, not as good against swing I think as against other pace / spin but can't really be called a weakness.
Good ones. I think Tendulkar had issues with lack of foot movement at times. You are right though, medium pacers like Razzaq and Hansie troubled him for some reason.

Ponting was great against Murali but for some reason struggled against Bhajji who had these floating offspinners that he played too hard at. Also Ponting on swinging wickets could play a bit loosely outside off.

Slifer

International Captain
Lara: Raw pace , especially directed at his body. Also, around the wicket outside his off stump. Particularly outside the Caribbean.

Slifer

International Captain
Can you identify the technical shortcomings and bowling weaknesses of some of these best bats of the modern era?

Gavaskar
Viv
Chappell
Border
Tendulkar
Lara
Ponting
Kallis
Dravid
Sanga
Smith
Unm which Smith?? Nevermind, just saw that you said best bats of their era so has to be Steve. Carry on....

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Ashwin sorted Sanga out.
Way before Ashwin Swann sorted him out. University spinners sorted it even before. Any one with a good arm ball, pitching just short of a length he would invariably drag it on. Then he over compensated for arm balls (and why he was excellent against doosras) and became vulnerable for big spinning off breaks. Since it was a much difficult feat to bring on, he was much less exposed. Swann and Ashwin were the only ones who could give it a big enough rip to trouble him.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Sanga - Off spinners.
Dravid -Muralitharan
Kallis - Muralitharan

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Good ones. I think Tendulkar had issues with lack of foot movement at times. You are right though, medium pacers like Razzaq and Hansie troubled him for some reason.

Ponting was great against Murali but for some reason struggled against Bhajji who had these floating offspinners that he played too hard at. Also Ponting on swinging wickets could play a bit loosely outside off.
Tendulkar found the life tough against Dion Nash too.
Ponting struggled against slow left arm spin.

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
For Viv, I feel he didn’t have any major technical weakness against any bowling, but his tendency to get a little restless(DK Lillee has talked about this) and impatient was perhaps his weakness.

subshakerz

International Coach
Lara: Raw pace , especially directed at his body. Also, around the wicket outside his off stump. Particularly outside the Caribbean.
McGrath first found out the chink in Lara's armor in the 96 tour and took his wicket 5 times almost on the trot in that series. Never saw such a great bat rendered so low.

subshakerz

International Coach
Unm which Smith?? Nevermind, just saw that you said best bats of their era so has to be Steve. Carry on....
Smith seemed to have a weakness against Ashwin around the wicket in 2021 but then it just took him a test to get around that.

I do imagine his shuffling and exposing the leg will cause issues as he ages and reflexes are slower.

Slifer

International Captain
Smith seemed to have a weakness against Ashwin around the wicket in 2021 but then it just took him a test to get around that.

I do imagine his shuffling and exposing the leg will cause issues as he ages and reflexes are slower.
Me too. I can't imagine he'd be getting away with that if he were facing someone like Waqar who bowled a full length and swung it at high pace. A nice Yorker on leg stump.

BazBall21

International Regular

Gavaskar
Viv
Chappell
Border
Tendulkar
Lara
Ponting
Kallis
Dravid
Sanga
Smith
Gavaskar - lateral movement at decent pace, think he could struggle on devious tracks outside Asia but not a major weakness.
Viv - leg spin and the trade of impatience
Chappell - honestly not sure, he was front-foot by preference but had a great series against WI in WSC. Hard to judge against spin but Underwood got him out a lot.
Tendulkar - pitched up medium pace, didn't get a big stride in and wanted the ball coming onto the bat.
Lara - few issues against seam movement and bounce.
Ponting - fast off spin on turners. If he got to spin he would demolish it, extra pace on the spin could expose his hard hands.
Kallis - I think he could get cramped by inward extra bounce at pace like a lot of tall batsmen.
Dravid - pace and bounce. One of the more obvious. Low scoring-tempo could be problematic against the best bowlers.
Sanga - Have not watched as much of him but think the swinging ball could get him early on.
Smith - Hard to say. Averages 43 against left-arm orthodox (27 dismissals) which isn't a weakness, just not as good.