• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What were the technical flaws and weaknesses of these ATG bats?

subshakerz

International Coach
Gavaskar - lateral movement at decent pace, think he could struggle on devious tracks outside Asia but not a major weakness.
Viv - leg spin and the trade of impatience
Chappell - honestly not sure, he was front-foot by preference but had a great series against WI in WSC. Hard to judge against spin but Underwood got him out a lot.
Tendulkar - pitched up medium pace, didn't get a big stride in and wanted the ball coming onto the bat.
Lara - few issues against seam movement and bounce.
Ponting - fast off spin on turners. If he got to spin he would demolish it, extra pace on the spin could expose his hard hands.
Kallis - I think he could get cramped by inward extra bounce at pace like a lot of tall batsmen.
Dravid - pace and bounce. One of the more obvious. Low scoring-tempo could be problematic against the best bowlers.
Sanga - Have not watched as much of him but think the swinging ball could get him early on.
Smith - Hard to say. Averages 43 against left-arm orthodox (27 dismissals) which isn't a weakness, just not as good.
Good observations all.

Kirkut

International Regular
Anderson I believe was the one who genuinely troubled Tendulkar, even more so than McGrath. Probably because McGrath's bowling length was slightly shorter than Anderson's and he got more bounce due to height.

Kirkut

International Regular
For Viv Richards, he probably had no weakness, nearly a perfect batsman.

I guess he never had the opportunity to bat in a situation where winning was not an option and batting for 4 sessions was required to the save the test match. I'm guessing Viv would score 80 off 65 balls and give away his wicket in such a situation.

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain

I guess he never had the opportunity to bat in a situation where winning was not an option and batting for 4 sessions was required to the save the test match. I'm guessing Viv would score 80 off 65 balls and give away his wicket in such a situation.
I wouldn’t say in this situation, he needed to bat 4 sessions, but it shows he had patience, when Wi toured played Pak in 1980, his overall SR for the series was 55 or 54, and his batting was the big difference between both the sides( his last hundred in the series, where he scored 120 of 260 or some balls, out of 240 total). So he could play with restraint, although I concede he was impatient to an extent, when compared to other modern greats.

subshakerz

International Coach

In a way, Viv's entire technique was his greatest flaw since it depended on his unique mix of power + reflexes, especially for his cross batted and through-the-line shots. This meant that as he got older and his reflexes slowed, he didn't have a way to arrest his declining form unlike Tendulkar and Lara.

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
In a way, Viv's entire technique was his greatest flaw since it depended on his unique mix of power + reflexes, especially for his cross batted and through-the-line shots. This meant that as he got older and his reflexes slowed, he didn't have a way to arrest his declining form unlike Tendulkar and Lara.
But it was the reason, why he looked more invincible at his physical peak than any batsmen bar Bradman. Basically annihilated everyone at his peak. Couldn’t say the same about Tendy or Lara or most great batsmen.

subshakerz

International Coach
But it was the reason, why he looked more invincible at his physical peak than any batsmen bar Bradman. Basically annihilated everyone at his peak. Couldn’t say the same about Tendy or Lara or most great batsmen.
True. But his success hinged on his physical gifts more than technique.