• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What was crickets best decade?

FBU

International Debutant

Athlai

Not Terrible
Can't really lump in the 90s and 2000s like that when both decades were so different for cricket. The new wc format is great but we've also only had one of it in the 2010s so it's not really representative of the decade.

Edit: actually 2015 kinda had it too so fair enough.
Strangely 1992 wasn't the only world cup in the 90s

Athlai

Not Terrible
2011 had some great bits, Ireland and Bangers doing very well. England imploding. India had some quality games. Overall average WC and while Bangers and Ireland played well the other minnows were woeful.

2015 the quality of cricket all round was pretty good. Afghanistan were such an exciting new prospect to watch and a shared NZ/AU WC host was pretty novel.

Pool A seemed fairly like a foregone conclusion but when NZ and AU met at Eden Park, jeez what a match and Pool B was ****ing wild.

subshakerz

International Coach
the ATGs point is just bull****, give the current era 20 years and you will say so many wax lyrically about the current players too and have them as ATGs. nostalgia is a strong reason for rating players highly often
The 90s were just far ahead when it came to worldclass bowling in both pace and spin.

And this is my own opinion, but aside from Viv, no ATG bat in modern history had the level of hype and buzz that followed Lara and Tendulkar that decade.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And this is my own opinion, but aside from Viv, no ATG bat in modern history had the level of hype and buzz that followed Lara and Tendulkar that decade
That's purely nostalgia. The hype probably just resonated with you more because you were younger. Ponting had crazy hype and so did the fab 4 from early on in their careers.

subshakerz

International Coach
That's purely nostalgia. The hype probably just resonated with you more because you were younger. Ponting had crazy hype and so did the fab 4 from early on in their careers.
No way. I have never seen anything approach the level of God worship Tendulkar had.

And Lara around the mid-nineties had already achieved a hallowed status as a genius.

What made them seem more special, along with Waugh, was standing out in a tougher era for batting. And its not just the runs, but the way both played that really set them apart.

Ponting and the others in that big run era never had the same buzz surrounding them in terms of watchability.

The closest I have seen in terms of hype to them is maybe Kohli.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
No way. I have never seen anything approach the level of God worship Tendulkar had.

And Lara around the mid-nineties had already achieved a hallowed status.

What made them seem more special, along with Waugh, was standing out in a tougher era for batting. And its not just the runs, but the way both played that really set them apart.

Ponting and the others in that big run era never had the same buzz surrounding them in terms of watchability.

The closest I have seen in terms of hype to them is maybe Kohli.
Lara was hyped bcos of the 375 and 501, and Sachin bcos he was great and Indian (1 bn people obviously increases hype).

Warne was more hyped than both of them tbh
(talk of new deliveries every season for a while).

subshakerz

International Coach
Lara was hyped bcos of the 375 and 501, and Sachin bcos he was great and Indian (1 bn people obviously increases hype).

Warne was more hyped than both of them tbh
(talk of new deliveries every season for a while).
Well yes, that hype added the to anticipation of wanting to watch cricket that time. But all three were supremely watchable, even to this day.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lara and Sachin had ridiculous hype because they were prodigies from a young age. Ponting too tbh, but not unaware whether it was to the same level. Smith and Kohli (who did have a bit of hype early) weren't looked at as prodigies from that young an age. KW probably the only one from the big 4 who's name was floating around as a potential great player from his teens.

subshakerz

International Coach
Lara and Sachin had ridiculous hype because they were prodigies from a young age. Ponting too tbh, but not unaware whether it was to the same level. Smith and Kohli (who did have a bit of hype early) weren't looked at as prodigies from that young an age. KW probably the only one from the big 4 who's name was floating around as a potential great player from his teens.
Not just prodigies. 90s Lara and Tendulkar were some of the unique batsmen to watch for a cricket fan.

Socerer 01

International Captain
The 90s were just far ahead when it came to worldclass bowling in both pace and spin.

And this is my own opinion, but aside from Viv, no ATG bat in modern history had the level of hype and buzz that followed Lara and Tendulkar that decade.
i’ll bite. who are those world class pacers of the 90s that made it far ahead? Ambrose, the two W’s, Pollock, Donald, Bishop? McGrath? you have Jimmeh, Cummins, Bumrah, Rabada, Shaheen, Broad, Hazlewood, Jamieson from the last decade with more like Robinson and Jansen who could join them

the hype and buzz is very subjective. someone like Kohli is well known in other sport circles too by their players and fans. how do you even measure something like that?

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I'de like to see how the 2020's plays out before commenting TBH. Only 3 years in but has been a crazy decade already, atleast in redball. Bazball, all the crazy fourth innings chases from non england teams, Bangladesh's win in NZ, India's win at the gabba and in Australia, pant in general.

Slifer

International Captain

My point with the above videos?? Wayyy more crowds at stadiums for matches involving NZ, Zim and SL. I'm not even going to bother with matches involving Aus, Eng or India. Cricket in the 90s was more interesting and drew bigger crowds; particularly tests.

subshakerz

International Coach

My point with the above videos?? Wayyy more crowds at stadiums for matches involving NZ, Zim and SL. I'm not even going to bother with matches involving Aus, Eng or India. Cricket in the 90s was more interesting and drew bigger crowds; particularly tests.
I loved how WI had crowd invasions. So distinctive.