• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What was crickets best decade?

subshakerz

International Coach
In terms of overall quality of play and also from your own fan perspective, what was the best decade of cricket experience for you?

Molehill

International Captain
From an England perspective, probably 2010-20. Won away series in Australia and India, Number 1 Test team in the world for a time, won 2 World Cups.

But I really loved the 2000's as England were becoming competitive from being average for the previous 20 odd years, and we saw some all time greats at their peak in World Cricket.

HookShot

U19 Vice-Captain
From a global perspective Cricket probably peaked during the 1990s because so many teams had class players and were competitive in either Test matches or ODIs.

I view the Sri Lankan World Cup victory in 1996 as the high-water-mark of global Cricket.

subshakerz

International Coach
From a global perspective Cricket probably peaked during the 1990s because so many teams had class players and were competitive in either Test matches or ODIs.

I view the Sri Lankan World Cup victory in 1996 as the high-water-mark of global Cricket.
I agree but why is 96 the watermark? Many strong teams in that tournament?

ma1978

International 12th Man
everyone is nostalgic for their youth but the 90s had it all. It had phenomenal tests but was also the apogee for odi cricket.

90s also had inner circle ATG bats in Sachin and Lara and Waugh, but also De Silva, Flower, Anwar, Kirsten, Slater and an emergent Ponting and Dravid

ATG bowlers in Ambrose, Akram, Younis, Donald, Mcgrath, Warne, Kumble, Murali

very competitive balance with Aus, WI, Pak, RSA al very good, India dominant at home and SL emergent

many of the greatest matches every played

Brook's side

State Vice-Captain
Not that it's the be all and end all, but in no previous era could batting sides hit 80 runs in 6 overs as a matter of routine (even with fielding restrictions).

The IPL has created this sort of super batsmanship by some accelerated survival of the fittest evolutionary process, and it's truly impressive to behold.

With bazball in tests as well, there's plenty to be said for the current era.

Brook's side

State Vice-Captain
For 50 over (and similar) formats I think the peak was late 80s/early 90s.

The tri series competitions in Australia, competitive world cups, and when domestic Lords finals were real highlights of the sporting calendar.

subshakerz

International Coach
Not that it's the be all and end all, but in no previous era could batting sides hit 80 runs in 6 overs as a matter of routine (even with fielding restrictions).

The IPL has created this sort of super batsmanship by some accelerated survival of the fittest evolutionary process, and it's truly impressive to behold.

By making it routine, it has reduced the spectacle of pinch hitting batting IMO. In the nineties when Jayasuria and Afridi did it, it was truly amazing to witness.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

This post is worthy of a ban

Molehill

International Captain
As an England fan, excuse me if I don't agree with the 90's. It really wasn't much fun from this angle. We even managed to lose a World Cup Final to a team that should've been knocked out in the group stages!!

Socerer 01

International Captain

for sheer quality the current era is the best. as it will be in other sports. simply because modern cricketers will always be better than older ones due to how technology and fitness evolves with better tactic understanding

for a competitive and nostalgia standpoint the 90s is probably the best due to the advent of good tv coverage and several teams being equally capable of winning in odis against each other in big tournaments and no team strongly dominating like West Indies in 70s and 80s and Australia in 2000s

the ATGs point is just bull****, give the current era 20 years and you will say so many wax lyrically about the current players too and have them as ATGs. nostalgia is a strong reason for rating players highly often

Brook's side

State Vice-Captain
As an England fan, excuse me if I don't agree with the 90's. It really wasn't much fun from this angle. We even managed to lose a World Cup Final to a team that should've been knocked out in the group stages!!
saved by the rain. still a good side though. and iirc there was a dodgy lbw decision in the final which was significant (can't remember the details).

Molehill

International Captain
the ATGs point is just bull****, give the current era 20 years and you will say so many wax lyrically about the current players too and have them as ATGs. nostalgia is a strong reason for rating players highly often
Aussie fans in 2040 - "Anderson was a special bowler, you don't get all those wickets without being an ATG"!!

Mind you, that's assuming Jimmy has actually retired by then!