• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What to do about tour matches

Bolo

State Captain
It's not debatable that they didn't pick their strongest xi. It's pretty implausible that they didn't try to screw AUS with their picks, but it's definitely worth questioning. Do they have spinners pushing towards the main side? Their quicks are in a state of flux- it definitely makes more sense for them to play more quicks here to test the bench than if their primary goal was to win.
This article answers my question.

Samiuddin: Don't tell Bilal Asif he's not a Test cricketer - ESPNcricinfo

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The issue is that Pakistan intentionally decided not to play a spinner in the XI to deny Australia preparation against spin. I really don't think that part is debatable.

What's more interesting is whether this is a problem or not. I believe Dan and a few others don't think so.

I'm personally with Starfighter - why have tour games at all if they're not for the principle purpose of helping the away team to acclimatise? If we're going be ok with not giving the opposition a spinner to play against, when they're obviously going to play a buttload of it in the tests, on the basis that the away team should have come prepared/look for alternative ways to acclimatise, what's next? Are we then ok with crap teams, alien conditions and what SL did? Maybe even go one big step further and give them poor facilities to train in. Book nets for them that have pitches that are the complete opposite of what they'll face in a match.

I'll admit I can't think of a good solution but I'd hate for cricket as a whole to do down this path.
It is understood SLC have booked England into a hotel in Dambulla – a two-hour drive away from Pallekele – for the Test as a fall-back option. There is no stipulation by the International Cricket Council (ICC) about how close teams have to stay to a venue for any given match.
well x3

Daemon

They did offer to fly the English team to Pallekelle in helicopters though which is pretty cool

No doubt the pilots would purposely perform acrobatics to make them get motion sickness though.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lanka taking being terrible hosts to new levels
Think this is also a pretty tragic ****-up on the part of the hotel management, maybe the English team can bunk with all the tour groups that have somehow managed to overbook the hotel

cnerd123

likes this
It says there 'Backup'. I read on Cricinfo about security concerns in Colombo where the England team currently are. Maybe they've booked them in a hotel far away for safety concerns?

Any link to the full article Daemon?

cnerd123

likes this
Think this is also a pretty tragic ****-up on the part of the hotel management, maybe the English team can bunk with all the tour groups that have somehow managed to overbook the hotel
Nvm found the article - turns out hotel double booked lol.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe they simply said "free helicopter rides for those who complain" and someone didn't get the joke.
I'm very much hoping that the Venn diagram of Hoppean Nazis who make helicopter jokes and the SLC logistics team does not overlap.

Daemon

'hotel management'

'overbooked'

All pathetic excuses for a what is a clear and deliberate conspiracy from SLC to **** with the English. Next they'll be telling us the hotel kitchens can't accommodate the ECB's 72 recipe cookbook.