• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What the hell...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I just logged onto Cricinfo and they've re-designed the main index so now it's totally useless. I really couldn't see any problem with the "old" format. Well I don't think I'll be the only one sending them an email asking why they had to make such a hideous re-design. If it ain't broke don't fix it and the original was fine.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Title: Re-Design

After reading your reasons to re-design Cricinfo and asking for feedback I have decided to send you my views. Well I found the "supposively inferior" format a lot more easy to use than the horrid new "modern" design. I'm sure I'm not the only person writing in asking 1st of all why you decided to re-design a format that I feel was one of the better ones on any cricket site on the web, and 2ndly to ask where all the information I come onto your site to read, has gone. Not only has the News section had to take a reduction but we also now have to put up with what looks like a hastily and rather badly chosen mixture of the Wisden and Cricinfo colours, with a heavy bias on the Wisden side. I think we all know Wisden and Cricinfo have combined, and I'm not the only one annoyed about Wisden joining with "The Cricketer" to form a magazine which attempts to take the place of the 2 main Cricket magazines available in England, getting rid of most of the sections which made "The Cricketer" what it was and ending up with a magazine inferior in both content and design to the, now defunct, magazine it now most closely resebles, WCM. I'm afraid from what I've seen so far on Cricinfo, the "Wisden Cricketer" syndrome is spreading. Now I'm not asking to go back to the original design, things need to move forwards, but could you please attempt to not make the same mistake as the "Wisden Cricketer".

Yours, wishing the whole Wisden incident had never happened,
Eric Heath

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If you look closely at it, it bears more than a little resemblance to the layout of a site not too far from here...

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Damn i hate the new Cricinfo layouts.. its so stupid.. they could have done a slight revamp but why this huge change.!!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
If you look closely at it, it bears more than a little resemblance to the layout of a site not too far from here...
No Marc, it doesn't look anything like CW :rolleyes:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rik said:
No Marc, it doesn't look anything like CW :rolleyes:
Don't think that Marc is the only one with such an opinion. The basic layout does tend to mirror Cricket Web.

Personally I don't see a major resemblance though.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
IMO, a fair few news oriented websites are moving to the same basic format - vertical navigation bar, headlines listed and vertical links bar; with a horizontal navigational bar on top.

As I implied before, there is a slight resemblance, but it's only in the basic layout. Our layout is much friendlier and comfortable for the user.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I think Cricinfo comes in for too much stick... I would challenge someone to find a more comprehensive sports website.. Maybe only mlb.com for baseball would beat it.. I think we are fortunate to have cricinfo (as long as it stays free)....

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
lord_of_darkness said:
Im callin in Jihad the days it goes pay.!
Amen to that (whoops, wrong religion). Cricinfo is the only way for people who aren't lucky enough to live in countries with Sky or other such luxuries to follow cricket. And the stats...ooh, the stats...

As to the layout, well, I don't think it's too bad. Compared to some rugby sites I've checked out, it's brilliant. Though of course CW.net rules ;)

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
cricinfo is really an excellent site, and the database is so comprehensive. it also highlights the rich history that the game has.

new layouts of frequently visited sites always look horrible at first as we are used to something and it takes effort to adapt to change. But it always grows on you and cricinfo will be no different. believe me Rik, you will even like it in a year :)

roofromoz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I went to the Baggygreen site (the official Australian site) a couple of days ago, and noticed a change... I thought that it may have had something to do with a change of look with ninemsn (the hosts of the site), but now having gone to CricInfo, it actually conforms with their format. I actually haven't had an indepth look at it, in terms of its "user-friendliness".

Last edited: