• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What If?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
What if Jamie Lyon would sign a 5 year deal with us?

Oh. It's cricket. Right.

What if the rebel tours to South Africa hadn't taken place?

What if Packer didn't do his thang?

What if Underwood had played on covered pitches and Giles and Tufnell had played on uncovered pitches?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
What if the British sent all their convicts to Canada? Would they play cricket instead of Australia?

archie mac

International Coach
Pratyush said:
What if

There had been no limited overs cricket

Holland had qualified for a world cup early on (in the 70s or 1983)

The fly slip was still existant

Helmets didnt/was not allowed to come into the game
1 I think cricket would have been a small time sport, by the 80s

2 Not sure on this one, don't know enough about cricket there

3 I remember the Windies having one sometimes two for Bruce Yardley

4 Not as many players so keen to get in behind the ball. A lot of mothers would not let their kids play the game.

archie mac

International Coach
steds said:
What if Jamie Lyon would sign a 5 year deal with us?

Oh. It's cricket. Right.

What if the rebel tours to South Africa hadn't taken place?

What if Packer didn't do his thang?

What if Underwood had played on covered pitches and Giles and Tufnell had played on uncovered pitches?
1 I think it would have taken longer for Sth Afr to come back into the fold. England may have just hung on in the 1982/83 Ashes series, with Gooch, Boycott and Emburey

2 some one else would have

3 Underwood will still have been the best of the three, but not by as much.

whitedazzler

School Boy/Girl Captain
how bout this

WHAT IF...

the hansie cronje match fixing scandal had never been found out or any match fixing scandal for that matter?
test matches didnt have a certain amount of days they had to be played in?
zimbabwe and west indies never had problems with rebel players?
there were no 3rd umpires? how different would results have been?
donald bradman played in the current era. would he average as much; with all the tv footage collected about a players technique?

just some thoughts

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
archie mac said:
I will ignore your spelling and grammar :@ :D I suppose it matters not as I can still understand the 'What If'

I think if Hick could have been chosen when he was at his best, and came in contact with Test cricket from an earlier age, I really believe he would have scored 7000+ Test runs and ave 45+ in the Test arena.
I dont think my spelling and grammar should have copped that much of a hiding.

The only mistake I made was typing "what" instead of "would."

whitedazzler

School Boy/Girl Captain
wat if the icc had made a rule saying that you could only play cricket for the country you were born in. how different would players like scott styris, lou vincent, matthew sinclair, andrew caddick, nasser hussain, kevin pietersen and andrew strauss be in terms of careers. its a freaky thought

archie mac

International Coach
Prince EWS said:

I am sorry I must have been in a bad mood that day, but just for the record you also misspelt: guarantee :)

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Prince EWS said:

He was just kidding around mate

archie mac

International Coach
whitedazzler said:
how bout this

WHAT IF...

the hansie cronje match fixing scandal had never been found out or any match fixing scandal for that matter?
test matches didnt have a certain amount of days they had to be played in?
zimbabwe and west indies never had problems with rebel players?
there were no 3rd umpires? how different would results have been?
donald bradman played in the current era. would he average as much; with all the tv footage collected about a players technique?

just some thoughts
1 The game would be in turmoil, and when it finally broke many more players would have been involved. A certain Indian would have played 100+ Tests instead of 99.

2 In Australia from about 1895 - 1937 all Tests were played to a finish, I think it would make the game to slow.

3 Please explain this one a little more?

4 Not a great deal, as I think there have been some clean catches taken that the 3rd umpire has given not out.

5 I think the great man would have ave. about 65+

archie mac

International Coach
whitedazzler said:
wat if the icc had made a rule saying that you could only play cricket for the country you were born in. how different would players like scott styris, lou vincent, matthew sinclair, andrew caddick, nasser hussain, kevin pietersen and andrew strauss be in terms of careers. its a freaky thought
Now that is a big what if, not sure, I wonder if some of those players would have been good enough to play for the land of their birth.

archie mac

International Coach
burkey_1988 said:
He was just kidding around mate
I thought the :D face would have given that away, but I thought I should say sorry, we all love cricket so we all must be very smart, articulate people 8-)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
archie mac said:
Now that is a big what if, not sure, I wonder if some of those players would have been good enough to play for the land of their birth.
That one is interesting; it would've been very interesting to see an Indian test side captained by Jardine of Mumbai! :D

I think it's fair to say that we'd suffer most: no Cowdrey, no Dexter, no Ranji, no Freddie Brown, No Phil Edmunds, No Gubby Allen....

Chubb

International Regular
Another what if, based around the fact I like him as a player.

What if Ed Smith hadn't got a bad decision in his last test at the oval, when he was batting well. What if he had survived the appeal, gone on and got a fifty (which would have been enough to make the Sri Lanka tour) or even a hundred?

I think that Smith was unlucky in his time with England, but I suspect that even if he had got runs, he would end up being a Robert Keyesque figure, (not literally, obviously!), making tour squads and doing well when called upon, but not being good enough to be a constant force.

parisa

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
What if Shane Bond never had those 3 stress fractures and miss out on more than 2 years of international cricket? I wonder what if bowling record would’ve looked by now…

archie mac

International Coach
Chubb said:
Another what if, based around the fact I like him as a player.

What if Ed Smith hadn't got a bad decision in his last test at the oval, when he was batting well. What if he had survived the appeal, gone on and got a fifty (which would have been enough to make the Sri Lanka tour) or even a hundred?

I think that Smith was unlucky in his time with England, but I suspect that even if he had got runs, he would end up being a Robert Keyesque figure, (not literally, obviously!), making tour squads and doing well when called upon, but not being good enough to be a constant force.
I am not sure with Smith I thought it more mental than skill, as to why he did not quite make it, but yes would have had a bigger impact, without that poor decision.

twctopcat

International Regular
parisa said:
What if Shane Bond never had those 3 stress fractures and miss out on more than 2 years of international cricket? I wonder what if bowling record would’ve looked by now…
Hear hear. Forget about S Barnes, it would S Bond on the teamsheet.