• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What do you think of Virat Kohli?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Srsly, I've said it a few times now but Kohli's going to end his career with better ODI stats than Sachin.
Different game though innit? Coloured kits were considered a bit newfangled when Tendulkar started playing, let alone these nutjob 350 plus chases.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not that different, I reckon; even with fewer shots than he had in the 90's, Sachin still managed to to be the first **** past 200 in a ODI and that only a couple of years ago.

Top_Cat

Anyway, for a non-statistical opinion, I reckon Kohli's already better at seeing a chase all the way to the end than Sachin ever was. Sachin was great at setting things up with a ton in the first innings or laying the platform for a chase of any size (as was his job as opener) but if the team is 4/****-all, the required run-rate at 8 and rising, I'd rather have Kohli at the crease than Sachin. It's ridiculous how quickly he turns seemingly hopeless situations around no matter who else he's batting with.

Top_Cat

I stand by my earlier comments; Kohli has the best hard-done-by-even-when-clearly-gawn face in world cricket.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, for a non-statistical opinion, I reckon Kohli's already better at seeing a chase all the way to the end than Sachin ever was. Sachin was great at setting things up with a ton in the first innings or laying the platform for a chase of any size (as was his job as opener) but if the team is 4/****-all, the required run-rate at 8 and rising, I'd rather have Kohli at the crease than Sachin. It's ridiculous how quickly he turns seemingly hopeless situations around no matter who else he's batting with.

I don't necessarily disagree, but a couple of points:
a) teams these days know how to plan chases of 350 plus. They were never heard of a few years ago, but they are now. Hell, even Ireland are doing it.
b) It's nice to bat when you know that the best ever chasing batsman (Dhoni) is coming in down the order. That must give Kohli a heck of a lot of freedom.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
a) teams these days know how to plan chases of 350 plus. They were never heard of a few years ago, but they are now. Hell, even Ireland are doing it.
b) It's nice to bat when you know that the best ever chasing batsman (Dhoni) is coming in down the order. That must give Kohli a heck of a lot of freedom.
Yeah good points.

Its an interesting debate. Funny also seeing as Sachin was playing ODI cricket until not long ago.

Top_Cat

Hope you use it when you do the dirty.
Bought them specifically for doing so, I'd imagine.

This is true but I would say that, as Sachin was generally opening, he had Ganguly, Azhar, Dravid, etc. to follow and had Ganguly and Sehwag opening with him at various stages. No mugs so he himself had a lot of freedom. My opinion, Sachin had an easier time (not easy, obv) against the new nurry, having all wickets in hand and the field up vs 2 or 3 down but with one big card to play (Dhoni) and a soft ball.

Last edited:

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
Virat Kohli - King of the Road. When his ODI runs come in less favorable conditions, crown him

OverratedSanity

Bought them specifically for doing so, I'd imagine.

This is true but I would say that, as Sachin was generally opening, he had Ganguly, Azhar, Dravid, etc. to follow and had Ganguly and Sehwag opening with him at various stages. No mugs so he himself had a lot of freedom. My opinion, Sachin had an easier time (not easy, obv) against the new nurry, having all wickets in hand and the field up vs 2 or 3 down but with one big card to play (Dhoni) and a soft ball.
They weren't a patch on Dhoni though. This batting lineup of ours is far stronger than when Tendulkar was having a similar run to what Kohli's having now, in 1998.
But honestly if Kohli keeps this up for a few more years he'd be an easy pick for an AT ODI XI...