• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies ATG Team- Open Voting

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The point was the discussion, not the result, wasn't it?
Yeah. I voted for Gibbs too but it's not like there are long-reaching consequences for having a poor side selected here. We voted for what we voted for, and if we want to have an ongoing discussion about why that was a poor choice then that's good for the thread/forum but we shouldn't be having a re-vote just because the group who lost one of the votes is making a lot of noise.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Regardless, the openers spot is all tied up. At least one more vote so we can move on to the next team.

watson

Banned
Yeah. I voted for Gibbs too but it's not like there are long-reaching consequences for having a poor side selected here. We voted for what we voted for, and if we want to have an ongoing discussion about why that was a poor choice then that's good for the thread/forum but we shouldn't be having a re-vote just because the group who lost one of the votes is making a lot of noise.
:band: :nopity::gathering:serenade::clapping::puke::clap::nono::toot:

We want a spinner.....

We want a spinner.....

We want a spinner.....

We want a spinner.....

We want a spinner.....

We want a spinner.....

We want a spinner.....

:whistling

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
With or with out, it's still unquestionably one of the top two teams and neigh invincible.

Still would be nice to have one though.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Ambrose was definately better and Holding was arguably better, who for a period was the world's best bowler competing with the likes of Hadlee and Lillee not to mention Roberts. Don't think Garner ever was.

watson

Banned
Yeah, I'm a Michael Holding fan.

My Grandfather took me to the Kennington Oval Test match during the 1976 series to watch Holding and Roberts bowl against Amiss and the rest of the England team. I haven't forgotten the experience. To a small boy looking through his binoculars he was far more scary than Roberts, or his other team mates, Holder and Daniel.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'm going to let this slide for a bit guys, I have a busy few weeks approaching.

If anyone wants to carry on with this or run it again, be my guest!

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Walcott was not a part time keeper. He made and kept his place in the team as a wicketkeeper whose batting developed enough to allow him to ahed the gloves when he got hurt.
Dujon came into the team as a batsman who took the gloves to keep his place in the team.

Kindly also be reminded that the West Indies bacame the best team ever by relying on four fast bowlers in ALL conditions, including the sub continent.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ambrose was definately better and Holding was arguably better, who for a period was the world's best bowler competing with the likes of Hadlee and Lillee not to mention Roberts. Don't think Garner ever was.
Nah, disagree, people seem to dismiss steadiness and consistency for occasional brilliance. I think Garner was competing in that way. The guy could bowl longer spells and gave no runs away, he's a perfect foil for express bowlers, whilst also taking wickets at an incredibly low average. Most under-rated player on cricketweb.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Walcott was not a part time keeper. He made and kept his place in the team as a wicketkeeper whose batting developed enough to allow him to ahed the gloves when he got hurt.
Dujon came into the team as a batsman who took the gloves to keep his place in the team.
Regardless of what you say, he only kept for 15 matches out of a career of 44 Tests, that is part-time.
As for your Dujon bull****, he played 2 games as a batsman out of a career of 81, hardly comparable.

Kindly also be reminded that the West Indies bacame the best team ever by relying on four fast bowlers in ALL conditions, including the sub continent.
Playing against lesser sides than all time great sides...

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
So besides Australia what other teams are on par with a West Indies XI even with the handicap of having four of the greatest bowlers (top 20) who ever played the game and having a wicketkeeper who played Lindwall and Miller better than any else did.

South Africa, England and Pakistan, in that order just a class below the top two teams.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
So besides Australia what other teams are on par with a West Indies XI even with the handicap of having four of the greatest bowlers (top 20) who ever played the game and having a wicketkeeper who played Lindwall and Miller better than any else did.

South Africa, England and Pakistan, in that order just a class below the top two teams.
South Africa are pretty dangerous imo..

Barry Richards
Graham Smith
Jaques Kallis
Graham Pollock
Dudley Nourse
Faulkner/Amla
John Waite
Mike Procter
Shaun Pollock
Hugh Tayfield
Allan Donald

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I did mention that they were next in line. Great team that is going to be.

If we ever get a final vote for the openers.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To untie the opening position, I would vote for Worrell. And I would definitely have Dale Steyn in my AT SAF XI.

watson

Banned
South Africa are pretty dangerous imo..

Barry Richards
Graham Smith
Jaques Kallis
Graham Pollock
Dudley Nourse
Faulkner/Amla
John Waite
Mike Procter
Shaun Pollock
Hugh Tayfield
Allan Donald
IMO That perfectly balanced RSA team would beat our current WI team over a 5 Test series quite comfortably as it doesn't have a single weakness. Just check out that great depth in both batting and bowling.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
IMO That perfectly balanced RSA team would beat our current WI team over a 5 Test series quite comfortably as it doesn't have a single weakness. Just check out that great depth in both batting and bowling.
It's a matter of quality over quantity, four of the top 10 batsmen of All Time and two of the top five pacers and four of the top fifteen fastmen and Greenidge was a match winner in his own right.

But yes the S.A. team is formidable indeed, though as many have pointed out in other threads, Richards and Procter never had a chance to prove themselves in Test cricket.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
South Africa are shaping up to be a formidable, superbly balanced side, but I'd still have England ahead of them for the third place play-off behind Australia and West Indies.