• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Well Done Wasim

CricketGuru

School Boy/Girl Captain
Congratulation to Wasim Akram on taking his 500+ wickets in one day international. In my point of view the best swing bowler of all time. 8D

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
CricketGuru said:
Congratulation to Wasim Akram on taking his 500+ wickets in one day international. In my point of view the best swing bowler of all time. 8D
Certainly the best left arm pacer of all time.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Among the all time greats, probably will go down as the all time greatest left arm pacer, and ranked very highly as the exponent of swing, seam and yorkers. The way he's playing right now, there seems to be no ending this man. A month ago we were wondering wether he would make it to the 500 mark, he's done it in 4 games.

The magnitude of the achievement is staggering though, next on the wickets list, Waqar Younis, 100 wickets away, Murali 200 away....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I must admit to being one who doubted he'd make it (mainly because I didn't expect him to be used against the minnows), but fair play to him, he did it (and also bowled the second ever 100+ mph ball in history on Saturday apparently)

krkode

State Captain
Re: Re: Re: Well Done Wasim

marc71178 said:
Methinks you are doing Alan Mullally a grave dis-service! ;)
Who's he?:rolleyes: just kidding :P

Yes, Akram is definitely Pakistan's greatest match winner! Cheers to him!:)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well done Wasim, I doubted you would be in the squad 2 years ago when you were touring England but fair play you've become a record breaker!

Bazza

International 12th Man
I also doubted he would make it, once he announced this would be his last chance. I felt he had lost something in recent months and had become a shadow of his former self. Still nothing like a sneaky five for against a minnow nation to boost the old wickets column! ;)

No doubt he is an all time great. Wisden marked him down as the best one day bowler of all time and who am I to argue with them, or for that matter a man with 900+ international wickets?!

PS: What have you got against 'spider'?? :!(

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Its amazing at how many times in his career, I have thought that this was the last leap for good old Wasim.

The moment he started running in though, I knew that he's got something left in him still. As Symcox put it today : "He just doesn't throw it outside offstump for the fun of it, every delivery has some meaning to it", couldn't have summarised Wasim's bowling better.

masterblaster

International Captain
Wasim is an absolute Legend, one of my all time favorite players. He has done his country proud, and he has given cricket a great deal.

Hats off to Wasim,

wahindiawah

Banned
Can anyone break Akram's record??? Closest is Waqar who probably won't get much matches after WC!! Warne's career is nearly over (atlest onedayers), Anil & Srinath are going to retire after WC, while Murali is planning to quit onedayers in order to play more test matches!!

I think only Saqlain can come near Akram, somone with 270+ wkts, but still far behind Akram!

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Congratulations to Wasim Akram, as increadible as ever......certainly the greatest left arm pacer of all time.

(and also bowled the second ever 100+ mph ball in history on Saturday apparently)
Marc, could you please elaborate on that a bit.......:O :O

krkode

State Captain
full_length said:
That was probably tongue in cheek. But it was uninformed.

He's talking about the speed gun reading 161+ for Wasim in the over following Shoiab's 161+. That was a human error - the speed gun was still displaying Shoiab's speed. I found this link from several days back with some difficulty:
http://www.rediff.com/wc2003/2003/feb/23shoaib.htm
The story in that link is pretty pathetic, and I agree with one of the comments there:

It is strange that ICC would want to believe in readings of older system measuring Jeff Thompson's delivery while suspecting much advanced new systems that ...