• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Welcome to the golden era of fast bowling

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Feels so bad India has completely utterly failed to use his talent. While using someone like Vijay Shankar as designated 3D player.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Jaddu has 5 5fers against Stokes' 2 too and I think if you include 4fers, it would be like even higher. They have different roles in their sides but surely it cant be an argument that they are both up there when it comes to the best allrounders in the game right now?
both are clear in their respective fields but you got blokes in here arguing that jadeja crosses 50 every 3.26 innings like it means anything.

who is the superior fielder might be a fun debate.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
both are clear in their respective fields but you got blokes in here arguing that jadeja crosses 50 every 3.26 innings like it means anything.

It does mean something if you realize how pathetic our tail usually is. I mean if he gets to 50 consistently batting at 7 or 8 with our tail, it does mean a lot. lol.

FWIW, I think Stokes a better catcher and Jaddu a better outfielder.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant

Easy one. Jadeja.

That SCG runout... those catches in the limited overs series... unbelievable....

He could be offered captaincy and he probably will whitewash Eng and SA overseas.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
in interest of not derailing the thread further, I will let that one pass. May be in a separate thread.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
To call the current era of fast bowling THE Golden Era is, IMO, over the top. Teja has produced some interesting stats in support of his claim, but how many current bowlers are mentioned as real or potential ATGs, let alone ATVG.

I would argue that The Real Golden Era of Fast Bowling extended further than the 5 year time slots being looked at. The era began in the early 70s with the emergence of players such as Lillee, Hadlee and Roberts. This group continued to dominate in the late 70s when we can add names such as Marshall, Holding, Garner, Dev, Botham and Imran Khan. By the early '80s (the era Burgey suggested should be considered) many of these players from the 70s were continuing their fine careers.
All of these players, I would argue, hold ATG status while players such as Snow, Thompson, Willis and Croft were more than just support acts in the '70s.
For depth of talent and number of proven ATGs. the '70s was THE Golden Era of Fast Bowling

DriveClub

International Regular
To call the current era of fast bowling THE Golden Era is, IMO, over the top. Teja has produced some interesting stats in support of his claim, but how many current bowlers are mentioned as real or potential ATGs, let alone ATVG.

I would argue that The Real Golden Era of Fast Bowling extended further than the 5 year time slots being looked at. The era began in the early 70s with the emergence of players such as Lillee, Hadlee and Roberts. This group continued to dominate in the late 70s when we can add names such as Marshall, Holding, Garner, Dev, Botham and Imran Khan. By the early '80s (the era Burgey suggested should be considered) many of these players from the 70s were continuing their fine careers.
All of these players, I would argue, hold ATG status while players such as Snow, Thompson, Willis and Croft were more than just support acts in the '70s.
For depth of talent and number of proven ATGs. the '70s was THE Golden Era of Fast Bowling
If you say so, the bold fonts really did it for me

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Cummins, Bumrah, Rabada, Archer are all consistently mentioned as future ATGs. For all the Jimmy bashing on here I think we all recognise how talented a bowler he is. Broad is more devastating on his best day but not as consistent, but still quite a bowler himself, and I hear NZ has some decent bowlers too.

Flem274*

123/5
nostalgia bias and the current players not being done makes this a tough comparison imo. all the best bowlers bar anderson, broad and wagner are mid-career right now. there's the almost certain anderson 700 @ 26 but then cummins 4-500 @ 21, starc 400 @ 26, haze 4-500 @ 25 for example looks pretty sweet. even one of the mid-range very good bowlers of the era like a southee is on track to end up with 400 @ 26.

Engle

State Vice-Captain

Correct, but context must be taken into consideration. The Fast Bowling of that time was blistering, battering with bruising body blows. There was a real concern amongst the authorities and pundits that the game was changing, not necessarily for the better. with nary a decent spinner to provide relief and variety. To say it was Golden now, evokes nostalgic nuances. But at the time, it was beyond golden, it was just brutal.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've actually wondered on numerous occasions whether el Nino and la Nina are significant contributors to overall bowling statistics.

The great batting era of the early 00s coincided with a very strong el Nino event and over the last few years we've had a couple of la Nina events I think.

sunilz

International Regular
I've actually wondered on numerous occasions whether el Nino and la Nina are significant contributors to overall bowling statistics.

The great batting era of the early 00s coincided with a very strong el Nino event and over the last few years we've had a couple of la Nina events I think.
Or batting techniques have deteriorated due to excessive T20 and nobody has time or patience for Test knock anymore?

Athlai

Not Terrible
100% the greatest bowlers from the 70s or 80s could come out today and bowl some spells and they’d be at the same level as the best from today. nothing would be that challenging. #balls #pitches #professionalism #bats

anyone who thinks the quicks of old were uniquely threatening is drunk on nostalgia. Sure fast hooping deliveries will always be good, but just like how Tait and Malinga were dealt with on their very best days, so would anyone from yesteryear. Edges will go for 4.

Cummins is an ATG.
Steyn is an ATG.