• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Was WI ATG team overhyped?

subshakerz

International Coach
I think you have a soft corner for oldies . Nothing can justify not Winning 17 consecutive Test .
Which period was that exactly?

To be clear, I'm not saying that team was a strong side, but it did have a strong batting unit. I just think this Pak team is very weak.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Yes their names should come soon. Both Kumble and Gibbs averaged closer to 30. It is very difficult for them to break into current top 30 who all average sub 25.
I don't think they should be in Top 30; but I believe both of them are easily Top 40.

bagapath

International Captain
I think the very best West Indies team was the one that played between the summer of 1980 and the summer of 1986.

They beat everyone everywhere convincingly in that period and drew only one series - a classic three match tussle in Australia that went 1-1.

In these six years,
Richards averaged 51.
Lloyd averaged 51.
Greenidge 49.
Richardson 48.
Gomes 45.
Haynes 42.
This is the pool that usually formed the top 6.
The wk Dujon averaged 42 with the bat while effecting about 4 dismissals per test.

Among their bowlers in that period,
Marshall averaged 20 something.
Garner also averaged under 21.
Holding took wickets at 23+.
Croft at 25+.
Roberts at 27+.
Four of those five bowlers bowled together most of the time.

It was a cracking team. And it has every right to be considered a top 3 team of all time.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
I think the very best West Indies team was the one that played between the summer of 1980 and the summer of 1986.

They beat everyone everywhere convincingly in that period and drew only one series - a classic three match tussle in Australia that went 1-1.

In these six years,
Richards averaged 51.
Lloyd averaged 51.
Greenidge 49.
Richardson 48.
Gomes 45.
Haynes 42.
This is usually the pool that formed the top 6.
The wk Dujon averaged 42 with the bat while effecting about 4 dismissals per test.

Among their bowlers in that period,
Marshall averaged 20 something.
Garner also averaged under 21.
Holding took wickets at 23+.
Croft at 25+.
Roberts at 27+.
Four of those five bowlers bowled together most of the time.

It was a cracking team. And it has every right to be considered a top 3 team of all time.
It was the best ever based on the quality of teams they beat as well

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
The premise of this thread and it's associated argument is symbolic of the **** show that CW is slowly turning into.

It's beyond ridiculous at this point

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
I believe Gibbs is under-rated. He held the world record for wickets taken, was the first spinner to take 300 wickets , had an exceptional economy rate (under 2rpo) yet hasn't warranted a mention in our current bowlers poll.
The only way I won't be picking him next selection is if all 3 of my current picks don't make it in this one.