• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Warning to Aussies with Ashes tickets and English fans who don't have tickets***

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
GoT_SpIn said:
You would think, after waiting a combined 10 hours for both "family" and public ticket allocations, you would be able to get a single ticket anywhere on anyday.
Just a devil's advocate point here, but what if you'd got a "family" and public ticket for the same day's play?

Surely by definition you are therefore depriving someone else of a ticket?

Where demand is far bigger than supply there will always be disappointed people - this is just one of those situations.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
So how do they allocate a set number of tickets to each outlet, and how do they police the whole thing?
Haha marc, how they do for every other event in Australia... duh.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Just a devil's advocate point here, but what if you'd got a "family" and public ticket for the same day's play?

Surely by definition you are therefore depriving someone else of a ticket?

Family tickets were on offer a month before public

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
So how do they allocate a set number of tickets to each outlet, and how do they police the whole thing?
He's simply saying that, given they had so long to plan this, they should've come up with a better system than something that seems to have been thrown together at the last minute and resulted in a whole bunch of people missing out.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It appears they used the exact same system as used over here (and has been used over here for many a year)

The problem is that when demand is that far in excess, people will miss out - it's unfortunate but there's nothing that could be done about it.

benchmark00

marc71178 said:
It appears they used the exact same system as used over here (and has been used over here for many a year)

The problem is that when demand is that far in excess, people will miss out - it's unfortunate but there's nothing that could be done about it.
The issue is not that people missed out, the issue is that CA didn't do enough to ensure that the right people got tickets and avoid frustration.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So how exactly could they do it - that's the thing nobody has answered.

All I've heard is people say "they've got it wrong"

Yet if there was a better system, don't you think they'd have used it and it would be in use worldwide?

pasag

RTDAS
benchmark00 said:
The issue is not that people missed out, the issue is that CA didn't do enough to ensure that the right people got tickets and avoid frustration.
Exactly.

benchmark00

marc71178 said:

Yet if there was a better system, don't you think they'd have used it and it would be in use worldwide?
Errr alternatives have allready been suggested.

A) Physical locations, i.e. ticketek/ticketmaster stores over Australia, like they do for basically 90% of major sporting events.
B) A staggering of ticket sales, i.e. One test go on sale each day.

It's not rocket science.

pasag

RTDAS
marc71178 said:

I told you. Make set places to by tickets. From the actual grounds, newsagencies, ticketmaster as Dasa pointed out. There will still be opportunists but much less. The current system is the most perfect one for scalpers that don't even have to leave the house.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
benchmark00 said:
A) Physical locations, i.e. ticketek/ticketmaster stores over Australia, like they do for basically 90% of major sporting events.
Has there ever been a sporting event with this much demand then?

The queuing involved would make it impractical to keep control of in so many locations at once.

benchmark00 said:
B) A staggering of ticket sales, i.e. One test go on sale each day.
That would actually make it much worse potentially - Some people would end up with tickets for every game, and more would end up with nothing.

benchmark00

marc71178 said:
Ofcourse there has. The Olympics and the rugby union world cup just in recent times.

marc71178 said:
That would actually make it much worse potentially - Some people would end up with tickets for every game, and more would end up with nothing.
Hang on, the scalpers could do that with the system they used anyway, at least it would deter a great number.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:

The queuing involved would make it impractical to keep control of in so many locations at once.
As has been said, there have been events with this much demand before.
The queuing would be no worse than for other large, in-demand events such as large concerts and the like.

marc71178 said:
The electronic system crashed because too many people were logging on at once. If the system was staggered, there would be less people logging on for each Test because obviously the large majority of people only want tickets for their home Test.

Why do you think you know better than all the Australians here who have used this ticketing system many times?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
As has been said, there have been events with this much demand before.
The queuing would be no worse than for other large, in-demand events such as large concerts and the like.

The electronic system crashed because too many people were logging on at once. If the system was staggered, there would be less people logging on for each Test because obviously the large majority of people only want tickets for their home Test.

Why do you think you know better than all the Australians here who have used this ticketing system many times?
Important point. For family tickets the internet site crashed almost straight away.

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
I can accept missing out on Ashes tickets because demand far outstrips supply, but what I can't accept is seeing hundreds of tickets on sale on e bay for hugely inflated prices. I was on the phone at 9am and there were virtually no tickets available for the SCG test by 9:04am.

Can anyone who was successful in getting good tickets please pass on their wisdon on how they got them?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
armchairumpire said:
I can accept missing out on Ashes tickets because demand far outstrips supply, but what I can't accept is seeing hundreds of tickets on sale on e bay for hugely inflated prices. I was on the phone at 9am and there were virtually no tickets available for the SCG test by 9:04am.

Can anyone who was successful in getting good tickets please pass on their wisdon on how they got them?
Applying to the Australian Cricket Family and then getting a friend to wait on the internet all day and another friend on the phone all day. :cool: