• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Waqar Younis

Swervy

International Captain
tooextracool said:
nothing wrong with fleming, before his last game against india he was averaging below 25, an especially good average for someone who played as many series in the sub continent. under-rated, didnt get too many opportunities, and dropped after 1 poor game in india so i would say unlucky.....

hey, i am not saying Fleming was a poor bowler,I am just disputing whether he should be considered a great bowler.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not calling him a great bowler - just saying that he, as a very good bowler, played his part, alongside the greats, in making the '90s an exceptional time for bowlers.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It looks to me like you called him a great bowler.

Seeing as you mentioned him as part of a "legion of great bowlers" - a list that definitely stretches the definition of great a fair amount.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Poor phraseaology on my part, then - not like it's anything new. 8-)
Some of the lot I named will definately go down as greats, the others IMO are all very capable bowlers who had the potential to be almost as good and either underperformed (Chaminda), had huge injury problems (all the Kiwis, Streak) or simply didn't quite make it due to a combination of bad luck and underperformance (Srinath, Fleming). But nonetheless, all will be remembered, by the true fans of the game, as very good bowlers.

deeps

International 12th Man
srinath? fleminG? streak? great bowlers? they are merely exceptional bowlers. Did a good job, and occasionlay had a good day, but weren't GREAT

will be rememberd by true fans as good bowlers, but waqar will be remembered as a great bowler and a legend.

Fleming is well and truly on the way to being forgotten already

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Waqar is no doubt an all time great,and would of probably been one of THE greatest if he hadnt been crippled by injuries so early in his career.His prime was relatively short but during that period he was as good as it ever got.

And shrinath fleming streak and a few others you listed are no WAY great bowlers.Not even close mate.

FRAZ

International Captain
I dont know why but most of better Pakistani pacers have some sort of relation either with Australia or England .......
Waqar's wife is Dual national of Pakistan and Australia . And his inlaws are in Australia....

shaka

International Regular
If one was to make a cricket XI from the 1990's im positive that Vaas, Waqar, Wasim, and Warne would make it, well Warne v Muttiah v Kumble. In the bowling I mean.

a massive zebra

International Captain
My Team of The 1990s

Graham Gooch
Saeed Anwar
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Steve Waugh (cpt)
Aravinda De Silva
Alec Stewart (wk)
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Curtley Ambrose
Waqar Younis

12th Man: Alan Donald

My Team of The 2000s

Matthew Hayden
Herschelle Gibbs
Rahul Dravid (cpt)
Sachin Tendulkar
Ricky Ponting
Jacques Kallis
Andy Flower (wk)
Shaun Pollock
Shoaib Akhtar
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath

12th Man: Inzamam-ul-Haq

Last edited:

shaka

International Regular
a massive zebra said:
Vaas? Why?
his economy rate in ODI's is very good, normally not exceeding 40 runs off his ten overs. Also by being left handed, he tended to get wickets

shaka

International Regular
a massive zebra said:
My Team of The 1990s

Graham Gooch
Saeed Anwar
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Steve Waugh (cpt)
Aravinda De Silva
Alec Stewart (wk)
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Curtley Ambrose
Waqar Younis

12th Man: Alan Donald
I would probably be tending towards Walsh instead of Ambrose, except that Ambrose bats a lot better than walsh does. Waqar and Wasim should always be in the same team because of their previous success when bowling in tandem

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
I was just browsing waqars record and cummilative averages through his prime years. They are really quite stunning.

He maintained a test average of under 20 for the first 6 years of his career which included 36 matches. God only knows his strike rate during that period because he still finished up with the best of all time for a bowler with over 200 wickets.
From 96 onwards his average steadily declined.
In comparison Akhtars current match total sits at 36 and he averages 24.78.

In OD cricket, he was averaging in the 15s after 35 games and under 20 after 75. His ODI decline coincided with his test match one and from 96 it fell out to 23 which he maintained from there.

Was there ever another bowler so devastating in their prime?

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
twctopcat said:
Apart from sydney barnes and george lohmann probably not.
Hadlee?

After he turned thirty, he played 51 more tests, he took 276 wickets at 19.46 - Awesome.

9-52.

There's plenty of others. Lillie, Thomson....

BoyBrumby

Englishman
BTW, with regards to Waqar, does anyone know what his real age is? I just had a look on Cricinfo & it still gives his DOB as 16/11/1971, which would make him just turned 33. That would make him younger than Glenn McGrath & Darren Gough.

I know his age has been questioned before, I would personally guess at least 4-5 years older.

BoyBrumby said:
BTW, with regards to Waqar, does anyone know what his real age is? I just had a look on Cricinfo & it still gives his DOB as 16/11/1971, which would make him just turned 33. That would make him younger than Glenn McGrath & Darren Gough.

I know his age has been questioned before, I would personally guess at least 4-5 years older.
Why bash a legend like Waqar Younis alone? Its a norm in pak for every cricketer to come up with a dodgy birth certificate(they probably gets one when they are five years old).

C_C

International Captain
Waqar's career start was a tour de force.
I think he zoomed to 200 wickets from 33-34 tests with a 19-ish average and 33-34 strike rate.
That is stunning.
But he was never very effective against the stronger batting lineups and after his back injury in 1992, he was never quiete as fast.
He bowled the best yorkers i've seen after Joel Garner.

IMO from the 90s, i would rank waqar behind Ambrose, Akram, Donald and McGrath(in that order).

PS: dont throw a hissy fit about Pidge being where he is, i am only considering the 90s.