• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Walk or not walk

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A difference between cricket on the one hand and soccer on the other is the speed at which the game moves - in cricket if you behave like a **** there is almost always going to be plenty of time for sober reflection, unlike the harum scarum of the soccer field, so I think umpires are entitled to expect an apology, and that if they don't get it that should be a disciplinary matter - quite apart from which players should be grateful that the umpires do it at all, given that the enjoyment of it can be the only reason - who wants to put themselves out for a bunch of petulant brats? I certainly didn't which is why, after I stopped playing and had a go at umpiring, I didn't pursue it

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
A difference between cricket on the one hand and soccer on the other is the speed at which the game moves - in cricket if you behave like a **** there is almost always going to be plenty of time for sober reflection, unlike the harum scarum of the soccer field, so I think umpires are entitled to expect an apology, and that if they don't get it that should be a disciplinary matter - quite apart from which players should be grateful that the umpires do it at all, given that the enjoyment of it can be the only reason - who wants to put themselves out for a bunch of petulant brats? I certainly didn't which is why, after I stopped playing and had a go at umpiring, I didn't pursue it
Quite a lot of officials do it for the power trip rather than out of love.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not amongst the admittedly very low standard that I aspired to, but I'm sure there are some you're right about - I understand that being an ump is also a way of lopping about 20 years off the waiting time to be an MCC member

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Don't think it is - AFAIK it's just playing membership that gets you to jump the queue.

I'm due in 2042, I think...

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
I don't think rugby union is a great example of how to referee a sport. The standards are terrible. The discipline is good only because of the draconian attitude of the officials. I'd prefer it if players respected officials because they're good at their job rather than because they're more willing to dump on you than other sports.
I believe the laws of rugby union state "The referee is the sole judge of time and fact".Players accept that because they are (relatively) civilised. Players should also realise, in all sports, that the official will give a decision from what they see.

As it was superbly put to me by a bowler when I turned down a very close LBW shout the other season (felt it might just have hit the batsman outside the line) in a very tight league fixture: "You're angles' better than mine umpire."

Maybe one of the of many umpires I've come across might be covered by that. if you want a power trip there are many easier ways to have a power trip than standing for up to 120 overs in a day - to say nothing about actually finding and passing the courses and going through the other training required to reach a good standard of cricket.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I also think there is absolutely nothing wrong with CALMLY and POLITELY explaining to an umpire why you would disagree.
So agree with this. People have been called up to the match referee's cabin for *gasp* shaking their head at the decision.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I believe the laws of rugby union state "The referee is the sole judge of time and fact".Players accept that because they are (relatively) civilised. Players should also realise, in all sports, that the official will give a decision from what they see.

As it was superbly put to me by a bowler when I turned down a very close LBW shout the other season (felt it might just have hit the batsman outside the line) in a very tight league fixture: "You're angles' better than mine umpire."

Maybe one of the of many umpires I've come across might be covered by that. if you want a power trip there are many easier ways to have a power trip than standing for up to 120 overs in a day - to say nothing about actually finding and passing the courses and going through the other training required to reach a good standard of cricket.
Did you remove his nose from your arsehole after the game or is it still there?

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
So agree with this. People have been called up to the match referee's cabin for *gasp* shaking their head at the decision.
This really applies to international cricket. I recall Michael Atherton being fined £2000 for raising an eyebrow when half way back to he pavilion having belted one into his pad but that was really because Peter Burge threw his toys because there was nothing in the 'dirt in pocket' allegations.

Did you remove his nose from your arsehole after the game or is it still there?
Stupid comment - why am I not surprised.

And if a player politely asks for an explanation they will receive one. A more heated reply reply from a player will still produce a calm reply from me. Anything more and I would suggest they calm down.

Had one last week when the fielding side went up for a caught behind. The timing of the sound was right but the actual sound wasn't - didn't say 'ball on bat' to me - I suspect the bat brushed the pad - and I saw no deflection. The fielding side were, shall we say, quite animated and vocal. I simply asked them to keep calm and explained my decision to the bowler. They were fine after that..

Last edited: