• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Voting - Bid for position (in blocks) draft

Pick the best 3 Test XIs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
From the latest "bid for position" draft: Pick the three best (Test) teams from the following:

Himannv
Barry Richards /
WG Grace /
Wally Hammond* /o
Dennis Compton /
Rohan Kanhai /
Ian Botham /o
Les Ames+
Mike Proctor o/
Alan Davidson o/
Jim Laker o
Allan Donald o

CricZo XI (kingkallis)
Matthew Hayden /
Graham Gooch /
Viv Richards / o
Graeme Pollock /
Kevin Pietersen /
Adam Gilchrist / +
Andrew Flintoff / o
Richie Benaud o / (c)
Richard Hadlee o /
Dennis Lillee o
Wes Hall o

weeman27bob
Bill Ponsford
Saeed Anwar
Hashim Amla
Mohammed Yousuf
Younis Khan
Andy Flower
Alan Knott+
Wasim Akram
Dale Steyn
Curtly Ambrose
Muttiah Muralitharan

ataraxia
Sunil Gavaskar /
Victor Trumper /
Ricky Ponting* /
Dudley Nourse /
Peter May /
Aubrey Faulkner / o
BJ Watling + /
Maurice Tate o /
Clarrie Grimmett o
Andy Roberts o
Brian Statham o

Line and Length
Len Hutton */
Geoff Boycott /
Kumar Sangakarra /
Everton Weekes /
Neil Harvey /
Imran Khan /o
Ravindra Jadeya /o
Shaun Pollock /o
Bert Oldfield +
Malcolm Marshall o
Alec Bedser o

Pothas
Graeme Smith*
Arthur Morris
George Headley
Jacques Kallis
Greg Chappell
Virat Kohli
Ian Healy+
Ravi Ashwin
Fred Trueman
Bill O'Reilly
Waqar Younis

Magrat Garlick
Alastair Cook
Gordon Greenidge
Allan Border
Garry Sobers
Stan McCabe
Shiv Chanderpaul
Matt Prior (wk)
Ryan Harris
Harold Larwood
Michael Holding
Sydney Barnes

trundler
Jack Hobbs
Bill Lawry
Rahul Dravid
Ken Barrington
Javed Miandad
Steve Waugh*
Quinton De Kock+
Ray Lindwall 1
Hedley Verity 4
Joel Garner 3
James Anderson 2

honestbharani
Simon Katich (6)
Herbert Sutcliffe
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Frank Worrell (c) (4)
Clyde Walcott (wk)
Ben Stokes (5)
Pat Cummins (2)
Anil Kumble (vc)
Neil Wagner (3)
Frank Tyson (1)

JOJOXI
Virender Sehwag
Bob Simpson (6)
Kane Williamson (c)
Steve Smith
AB de Villiers
Keith Miller (3)
MS Dhoni (wk)
Kapil Dev (5)
Shane Warne (4)
Glenn McGrath (1)
Courtney Walsh (2)

Charter 77 (Michaelf7777777)
Sid Barnes
Glenn Turner
Don Bradman (*)
Joe Root
Michael Hussey
Stanley Jackson (5)
Wilfred Rhodes (4)
Don Tallon (+)
Peter Pollock (3)
George Lohmann (2)
Shane Bond (1)

JOJOXI

More people need to vote in this (preferably for me).
Request granted, Botham at 6 feels a tad high for me but made up for with Proctor at 8 and Davidson at 9 and in combination with Donald a great seam attack ably backed by Laker - solid batting too. weeman27bob and kingkallis get my other votes - very closely matched sides and might have worked in weeman's favour for me at least - not the strongest batting comparatively but his bowling really does stand out! kingkallis with great batting depth too with Hadlee at 9!

ataraxia

International Coach
I did wonder why Himannv didn't have Ames batting above Botham, until I realised that that would have been breaking the rules... that I set...
Yeah, well, slightly related: I kind of don't like this type of draft as batting orders should really be fluid IMO. And you can game the system if you want to and select something like this as your side:

Malcolm Marshall o
Glenn McGrath o
Garfield Sobers / o
Sachin Tendulkar /
Richard Hadlee o /
Shane Warne o
Martin Crowe /
Shivnarine Chanderpaul /
Mohammad Yousuf /
Mike Hussey /
John Waite + /

which I would label the best side. Or maybe not. (Maybe I should explain: there's some difference between McGrath opening or batting at 11, but it's not nearly enough IMO to sacrifice getting a best-of-the-best bowler and instead get a decent batter, when you know you can just get a decent batter near the end and play him at #7, which is effectively #6 as a tail-ender is up in the top 6.) Personally I don't particularly like such drafts. I'll still play them, they're still fun, but I don't particularly like them. Bid for position is a great format though.

AndrewB

A down side of these completely open drafts is that it's hard to split the teams in the voting; and you end up with extremely good teams getting very few votes.

I was wondering about having a draft (maybe with bid for position again) in which all the players picked this time are excluded.

kingkallis

International Coach
Congratulations @JOJOXI for winning yet another draft and thank you @AndrewB for running it.

The concept made everyone change their plans a bit, which was fun. Normally I wouldn't prefer to bat Gilchrist at No.6 but by the time my turn came almost all ATGs were gone and I had to change my plan.