• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Viv Richards World Cup soccer player?

Xavier

Cricket Spectator
Wikipedia says some writers believe Viv Richards played international football for Antigua and Barbuda, in qualifying matches for the 1974 World Cup. However, he does not appear in recorded line-ups for these matches. What is the truth?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viv_Richards

I have left messages on Viv Richards Facebook page, and Tweeted his official account asking the question.

He hasn't responded .

Jack1

International Debutant
You’ll have to ask someone associated with him. He probably appreciates the messages , but doesn’t want to appear arrogant. Just an assumption. Best bet might be contacting the football association/federation of the national team

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Given their results in the qualifiers he's probably used his connections to have his participation expunged from the official record in a Stalinist styley.

andmark

International Captain
If there was a footballing Viv, who would it be (other than Viv himself obvs)? Dennis Bergkamp comes to mind as he had a similar elegance although not the same brute strength of Viv.

Jack1

International Debutant
if he doped i'd be scrapping his stats completely in cricket too, no hate..just seems fair on everyone else

Xavier

Cricket Spectator
You’ll have to ask someone associated with him. He probably appreciates the messages , but doesn’t want to appear arrogant. Just an assumption. Best bet might be contacting the football association/federation of the national team
I have tried a bunch of Football Associations in the West Indies, as well as cricketing groups. None of them were able to help. Viv Richards is an ambassador for West Indies tourism. I asked them to confirm one way or the other and they didn't know either.

It seems weird that such a huge name in international cricket may or may not have a past in international soccer, but nobody seems to be able to confirm or deny this.

Xavier

Cricket Spectator
Wasn't actually World Cup anyway as just qualifying games where Antigua and Barbuda lost 4 nil so weren't even close to qualifying.

https://www.11v11.com/competitions/fifa-world-cup/1974/qualifying/concacaf/

The games show who started but doesn't show who was on the bench, but I assume he was one of those.
Even to be on the bench for a World Cup team would be an amazing feat for an international cricketer. What athleticism it would show to be able to compete at an elite level in such different sports.

Jack1

International Debutant
Even to be on the bench for a World Cup team would be an amazing feat for an international cricketer. What athleticism it would show to be able to compete at an elite level in such different sports.

Complicated. The era played and talent pool. It’s important to remember how small the population is, smaller then. When you factor in how many men would have been 1. 15-40 years old and potentially in with a shout of selection at all and 2. How many even played football then that figure gets really small. I don’t find it that surprising because of that considering his general attitude and approach to things.

Regards to the other post they might have an agreement with Viv to keep it quiet. You might have to research the best you can and ask around on your own online for specifics. I’m out

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No mention of it in any of his three autobiographies, not even the one he 'wrote' in 1979

Turns out he's a Liverpool fan though

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah. It was far more common in the past for players to play at the top level in multiple sports.

Ellyse Perry notably played in both the cricket and soccer world cups, but women's sport is 50 years behind men's sports in terms of international recognition (barring a few outliers). And it's fair to say she's improved dramatically at cricket since she gave up soccer.

Xavier

Cricket Spectator
Wasn't actually World Cup anyway as just qualifying games where Antigua and Barbuda lost 4 nil so weren't even close to qualifying.

https://www.11v11.com/competitions/fifa-world-cup/1974/qualifying/concacaf/

The games show who started but doesn't show who was on the bench, but I assume he was one of those.
Thanks for your help. I checked out the link you supplied. Actually they do show the people in the teams were on the bench. Check out this link to one of the matches hhttps://www.11v11.com/matches/trinidad-and-tobago-v-antigua-and-barbuda-10-november-1972-232203/ and scroll down about half way.

Unfortunately I looked in all the Antigua games and Viv Richards wasn't on the bench in any of them (or listed in the starting line-up).