• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Virat Kohli vs Jacques Kallis

Who is the better test batsman?

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
Bazball has broken some people's brains. The idea that a defending solidly puts pressure on a team is for the weak minded.
It's not about defensiveness. It is about the inability to have an extra gear or accelerate when settled for much of his career. Which translates into pressing your advantage.

subshakerz

International Coach
Yeah, that's important. But those accumulators are also important. Kohli is that aggressive no 4 and Kallis that accumulator....
There are plenty of occasions when Kallis couldn't step it up when the situation demanded it.

Defensive bats, for the most part, will end up being rated lesser by me than other ATG bats.

capt_Luffy

International Regular
There are plenty of occasions when Kallis couldn't step it up when the situation demanded it.

Defensive bats, for the most part, will end up being rated lesser by me than other ATG bats.
And what about the various times when the pitch called for Virat to stick to the crease, but despite looking in shape he got out to an obnoxious shot.... Aka, his career between 2019-2022.

subshakerz

International Coach
And what about the various times when the pitch called for Virat to stick to the crease, but despite looking in shape he got out to an obnoxious shot.... Aka, his career between 2019-2022.
Yeah and until he makes up for that backslide, specifically with good tours in NZ and England, I don't mind others putting Kallis ahead.

capt_Luffy

International Regular
No, of course not Ponting is ahead of Kallis. Ponting was behind Lara and Tendulkar as the best bat of his era.

If Kohli continues to finish well, Kohli vs Ponting would be interesting.
Ponting literally danced in India and in England also whenever ball swung..... Ponting was a great player of pace and bounce and probably the best batsman after Don in a flat track even against great bowlers; but his lateral movement problem is too big for me to ignore.

subshakerz

International Coach
Ponting literally danced in India and in England also whenever ball swung..... Ponting was a great player of pace and bounce and probably the best batsman after Don in a flat track even against great bowlers; but his lateral movement problem is too big for me to ignore.
Kallis struggled in SL and was worse than Ponting in England. Plus Ponting was one of the most intimidating batsmen of the era.

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
Ponting was worse in India than even Kohli in England..... Kallis nowhere reached such a low.
Kallis in Eng was worse than Kohli in Eng since Kohli atleast proved him properly on one tour to Eng, Kallis except for one big knock(182 in 2012) was mediocre to horrible(2008) in Eng