• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Viral Draft - Voting Thread

Which are the 3 best teams?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Teuton

International Captain
Please vote for the 3 best teams

ataraxia

1. MA Atherton* /
2. AJ Stewart /
3. DI Gower /
4. Javed Miandad /
5. MG Bevan / o
6. IT Botham o /
7. PL Taylor / o
8. IDS Smith + /
9. DJ Nash o /
10. DW Fleming o
11. AA Donald o

AndyZaltzHair

1 Mark Taylor
2 Graham Gooch
3 Ken Rutherford
4 Hashan Tillekaratne
5 Arjuna Ranatunga
6 Carl Hooper
7 Dave Richardson
8 Phil Tuffnel
9 Waqar Younis
10 Courtney Walsh
11 Rumesh Ratnayake

Magrat Garlick

Greenidge
G. Kirsten
R. Smith
Azharuddin
Saleem Malik
*Cronje
+Healy
Reiffel
C. Matthews
Kumble
Fraser

Michaelf7777777

John Wright
Sanath Jayasuriya
Andrew Jones
Richie Richardson (*)
Dilip Vengsarkar
Dean Jones
Kapil Dev
Nayan Mongia (+)
Ian Bishop
Craig McDermott
Venkatapathy Raju

kingkallis

1. Navjot Singh Sidhu /
2. Ravi Shastri / o
3. Brian Lara /
4. Daryll Cullinan /
5. Mark Waugh /
6. Greg Matthews / o
7. Jeff Dujon + /
8. Sir Richard Hadlee o /
9. Shane Warne o /
10. Javagal Srinath o
11. Merv Hughes o

stephen

Justin Langer
Kepler Wessels
Brian McMillan (5)
Damien Martyn
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Jimmy Adams (6)
Imran Khan (c) (2)
Jack Russell +
Malcolm Marshall (1)
Bruce Reid (3)
Maninder Singh (4)

Teuton

Desmond Haynes
David Boon
Viv Richards
Stephen Fleming
Graham Thorpe
Steve Waugh
Adam Parore
Phil DeFreitas
Mushtaq Ahmed
Patrick Patterson
Glenn McGrath

trundler

Slater
Gatting
Lamb
Tendulkar
Crowe*
Cairns
More+
May
Benjamin
Alderman
De Villiers

honestbharani

Aamir Sohail (7)
Shoaib Mohammed (8)
Vinod Kambli
Inzamam ul Haq
Allan Border (6)
Aravinda De Silva (5)
Moin Khan (wk)
Winston Benjamin (3)
Darren Gough (2)
Curtly Ambrose (1)
Abdul Qadir (4)

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not counting my own side, it's hard to separate Teuton and Kingkallis. Hb sneaks into third with a very good side (by this draft standard).

stephen

I reckon I'd have had a lay down misere if I had have picked up Lara like I should have.

kingkallis

International Coach
I reckon I'd have had a lay down misere if I had have picked up Lara like I should have.
I kind of agree. Lara gave my team a huge boost and helped me draft a strong middle order of Lara, Waugh, Cullinan. That's one hell of a slip cordon as well. Richard Hadlee and Shane Warne would be happy to bowl when they have such stunning slip fielders ;)

Last edited:

stephen

Given Ponting never arrived the best batsmen in this draft were Tendulkar, Lara, Richards, Waugh and Chanderpaul. Greenidge, Haynes and Langer were the best three openers. After these guys you start looking at middle order batsmen who averaged low 40s and openers who averaged a shade over 40 as being the next best.

I think I did pretty well other than the Lara misfire. One of the top 3 openers and a top 5 batsman plus most of the rest of my batting order averaging 40+ (McMillan didn't but he was so close to 40 it might as well have been).

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
ataraxia - Decent batting line up but the bowling lets this side down

AZH - bowling good, batting not so good

MG - Actually a very strong side, the fixing trio in the middle order notwithstanding.

Michaelf77777 - Really good side, no real weakness except the spinner

KK - Easily the best side in the draft for me

stephen - Strong fast bowling attack, best in the draft perhaps but otherwise bit meh

Teuton - Pretty strong side except for DeFreites

trundler - Very meh, possibly the lowest ranked side in the draft for me

mine - think its pretty balanced with no real weaklinks considering the other sides of the draft tbh.

Voted for KK, Teuton and last one was between Michael,MG and mine but really do feel mine was better so have voted for mine.

stephen

I'm not sure how a side with Langer, Wessels, Martyn and Chanderpaul could be considered a bit meh in this draft. Sure, if if got Lara instead of Martyn it'd have been even better but that's pretty damn good given the talent available. The true weakness of my side would have been on turning pitches but I think most sides would be in the same boat and in the era the subcontinent wasn't exactly a popular place to tour.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah.. you are trying way too hard if you wanna convince anyone that a side with Brian McMillan at 3 is a great batting side mate. :)

stephen

He averages 5 more than either of those batsmen and he played in tougher conditions. I mean it's ok if you think he was worse than either of those but both of those guys are batting top order in two sides you really like.

The fact is that McMillan is my worst batsman and I'd much rather bat him outside his favourite position than shuffle everyone up out of their best spots. Martyn was brilliant at 4, Chanderpaul at 5 and Adams was a lower order player. McMillan at least played a few tests at 3. Sure, he's not ideal but by the same token he's not a bunny either. And he could play the short ball.

kingkallis

International Coach
Is McMillan any worse than Shastri? Or Aamir Sohail?
Initially I wanted to use Shastri at No.6. Then I realised how good he was as an opener. He has average of 45 with 4 tons as an opener plus I had some seriously good stroke makers so I decided to open with him.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He averages 5 more than either of those batsmen and he played in tougher conditions. I mean it's ok if you think he was worse than either of those but both of those guys are batting top order in two sides you really like.

The fact is that McMillan is my worst batsman and I'd much rather bat him outside his favourite position than shuffle everyone up out of their best spots. Martyn was brilliant at 4, Chanderpaul at 5 and Adams was a lower order player. McMillan at least played a few tests at 3. Sure, he's not ideal but by the same token he's not a bunny either. And he could play the short ball.

Lol.. Just 16 test matches away from home, where he averages 9 in the SC and 29 in Aus. And had a good run over 4 tests in England who were easily the most mediocre of the sides in the 90s. I mean, he is a genuinely good allrounder but to call him a better batsman than either Shastri or Sohail who have had made much tougher runs against much tougher attacks is just laughable now mate. I understand you wanna sel your side, but come on. And neither Sohail or Shastri were batting out of position for their sides, which big Mac is doing in yours.

Its just not a great batting line up and there are better ones in this draft. That is all.

stephen

Its just not a great batting line up and there are better ones in this draft. That is all.
You're focusing on one guy out of six though. Two of my batsmen were regulars in the greatest batting lineup of all time and one of them is one of only 6 players who averaged 50+ over a reasonable number of tests. I just fail to see how a batting lineup with Langer, Wessels, Martyn and Chanderpaul can be considered anything other than top notch when you've got a bloke at 3 who only played 17 tests because he couldn't handle the ball bouncing over waist high.

I agree that there is one or maybe two batting lineups that are better than mine, I am flabbergasted that anyone would consider this batting lineup less than top notch, especially with a tail that includes Imran and Marshall.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Look mate I lost a draft with Marshall/Roberts/Imran/Warne as my attack because most people don't know who Armstrong and Cameron were. It's okay.

stephen

I mean you praised a batting lineup that had Bevan batting 5, Botham 6 and Peter Taylor at 7. Now I do consider Bevan to have been better than his record suggests, but we really can only go on his record and he averaged 30. Peter Taylor was a good bowler but was not a good enough batsman to bat higher than 8 regularly.

Anyway I don't mean to disparage other posters sides, because this draft was 90% luck and 10% hard work but calling a side with an ATG opener, an ATG number 5 and two other extremely good batsmen "meh" is just a bit strange *by the standards of this draft*.