• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vaughan to score an ODI ton before his 100th ODI?

Which will Vaughan get first?

• Total voters

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
I do, personally - but no matter.
Wharf, with a First-Class average of less than 20, is better than Ealham, with a First-Class average of 33? Not to mention Ealham's domestic-OD average of nearly 26, and Wharf's of 15. (I'd go into their ODI records, too, but that's not really pointful given Wharf's played 4 innings)
Sorry, that's ridiculous.
Wharf can clearly bat a little bit - Ealham by domestic terms is an all-rounder, by ODI terms he's a bowler (good one at that) who can bat a bit.
I think Ealham is a very useful man to have coming-in at nine, personally.
except that i dont care how much ealham scores indomestic cricket,intl cricket has clearly showed him to be very mediocre. of course wharf hasnt really gotten the chance to do much better, but regardless he isnt even in the side.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
He first came to my attention playing at 3! He was MOTM in the 2002 B & H Cup Final.

I would guess he's played at 3 at least a dozen times for Warwicks in List As.
Interesting, I could have sworn he'd batted four there.
Maybe I stand corrected.
How have I done that exactly? By saying he's the player in ODIs who is most likely to see a team thru to victory/a good total?!?

Well I humbly apologise to Mr Bevan & his family for my vicious, nay, libellous words! :dontgetit
You've effectively said he was only a finisher, when he very, very clearly much, much more than that.
He could bat anywhere you like - except opening.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
So why's he never done it, then?
It ain't like Dominic Ostler's been a fixture in Warwicks' side (indeed he's barely played recently).
i dont get the chance to watch domestic cricket, hence i wouldnt know. but i seriously doubt that someone can fail at 3 and succeed at 4. at best you would see that if someone is good enough he would succeed in both positions, only to do better in one than the other.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
except that i dont care how much ealham scores indomestic cricket,intl cricket has clearly showed him to be very mediocre. of course wharf hasnt really gotten the chance to do much better, but regardless he isnt even in the side.
If you can't make a comparison at the international level (which you can't, because Wharf hasn't batted enough) you need to judge on something else - the best option being the domestic level.
And if someone's that much better than someone else at the domestic level, they simply have to be better at the international too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
i dont get the chance to watch domestic cricket, hence i wouldnt know. but i seriously doubt that someone can fail at 3 and succeed at 4. at best you would see that if someone is good enough he would succeed in both positions, only to do better in one than the other.
It can be a bit more different than you might think.
Can certainly make a difference of 10 overs or so.
I don't really think he's great coming-in with less than 10 overs gone, but with between 10-11-12 and 25, he's certainly better than some.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Richard said:
You've effectively said he was only a finisher, when he very, very clearly much, much more than that.
He could bat anywhere you like - except opening.
Where?

I did nothing of the kind; I suggested he was a finisher because:

a) He could manipulate the strike very well (not implying that is all he can do, lest I be misunderstood); &

b) He was often there not out at the finish of an innings.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Jayasuriya? With his ER of 4.76 and his average of 36?
As death-bowlers go, he's certainly not the worst (due to the fact that he's quicker through the air than most) but nor can he be called an ODI success with his bowling.
why not? id take someone who bowls primarily in the death and yet has an ER of 4.76, and has taken 267 ODI wickets.

Richard said:
Vettori? With that fantastic ER of 4.31 and that brilliant average of 34.02?
yes because 4.31 is such a poor ER isnt it? you'll do anything to save face.

and just to add to that list - roger harper, dharmasena, carl hooper and chris gayle

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
It can be a bit more different than you might think.
Can certainly make a difference of 10 overs or so.
I don't really think he's great coming-in with less than 10 overs gone, but with between 10-11-12 and 25, he's certainly better than some.
and you get to that fairly often when you bat at 3.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
tooextracool said:
possibly by putting collingwood and bevan in the same sentence.
Having just checked what I wrote I can say, no I actually didn't.

I merely suggested Colly was our currently-in-favour ODI batter most suited to finishing an innings. Which I still stand by.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
why not? id take someone who bowls primarily in the death and yet has an ER of 4.76, and has taken 267 ODI wickets.
It's not too bad - but you can't compare to Giles because he's different in that Giles is a middle-overs bowler and you'd be insane to bowl him either in the 15 or in the last 10.
yes because 4.31 is such a poor ER isnt it? you'll do anything to save face.
You've told me often enough that if you bowl only in the middle overs you're no more than decent unless you go for less than 4-an-over.
and just to add to that list - roger harper, dharmasena, carl hooper and chris gayle
I never saw Roger Harper, and he was part of an earlier era so success can be quantified differently then.
Dharmasena is a bowler I've always liked, because he's a hell of a lot quicker than the standard fingerspinner, so makes it infinately harder to come down the pitch.
Chris Gayle? Better than most fingerspinners, but still not fantastic and mainly a death-bowler.
I'm rather surprised Hooper's record is as good as it is - and it's still not brilliant. He is a West Indian, though, and there are certainly more West Indian pitches that help spin than most places (and you might notice that I've not said they're useless on turners). Hooper's record in Zimbabwe, South Africa and England isn't flash.

tooextracool

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Having just checked what I wrote I can say, no I actually didn't.

I merely suggested Colly was our currently-in-favour ODI batter most suited to finishing an innings. Which I still stand by.
ahh forget it, we both mean the same thing anyways.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Far less than when you bat four.
not really. its only a little less than when you bat at 4. which is why ive suggested that batting at 3 or 4 doesnt go on to make someone go from being completely useless to really good.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
It's not too bad - but you can't compare to Giles because he's different in that Giles is a middle-overs bowler and you'd be insane to bowl him either in the 15 or in the last 10.
your point is? you said that its impossible for a spinner to succeed in ODIs, and im pointing out bowlers who have done a fairly good job.

Richard said:
You've told me often enough that if you bowl only in the middle overs you're no more than decent unless you go for less than 4-an-over..
and i havent suggested that giles was brilliant either have i? all ive said is that giles is good enough to make the side, at least he can bat compared to the other person who've been discussing.

Richard said:
I never saw Roger Harper, and he was part of an earlier era so success can be quantified differently then.
Dharmasena is a bowler I've always liked, because he's a hell of a lot quicker than the standard fingerspinner, so makes it infinately harder to come down the pitch.
Chris Gayle? Better than most fingerspinners, but still not fantastic and mainly a death-bowler.
I'm rather surprised Hooper's record is as good as it is - and it's still not brilliant. He is a West Indian, though, and there are certainly more West Indian pitches that help spin than most places (and you might notice that I've not said they're useless on turners). Hooper's record in Zimbabwe, South Africa and England isn't flash.
oh stop with the excuses. first finger spinners could succeed in ODIs, then only finger spinners with doosras can succeed and now they can only be death bowlers, 8-)
what next?
and please, trying to use hoopers poor performances against zimbabwe(of all teams) to try and prove me wrong. i guess having an ER of 4 in australia isnt good enough anymore.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
tooextracool said:
and i havent suggested that giles was brilliant either have i? all ive said is that giles is good enough to make the side, at least he can bat compared to the other person who've been discussing.
As far as I can see, he was talking about Vettori. He hasn't got a brilliant ER (by what you said, and what Richard quoted) and he has a poor average.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
not really. its only a little less than when you bat at 4. which is why ive suggested that batting at 3 or 4 doesnt go on to make someone go from being completely useless to really good.
I'd say it makes them go from not really useful to being possibly quite useful.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
your point is? you said that its impossible for a spinner to succeed in ODIs, and im pointing out bowlers who have done a fairly good job.
I've said nothing of the sort - I've said standard fingerspinners can't (ie those who bowl in the early 50mphs or slower, and who don't bowl a Doosra).
Giles and Ealham are about equal in batting ability as far as I'm concerned.
oh stop with the excuses. first finger spinners could succeed in ODIs, then only finger spinners with doosras can succeed and now they can only be death bowlers, 8-)
what next?
and please, trying to use hoopers poor performances against zimbabwe(of all teams) to try and prove me wrong. i guess having an ER of 4 in australia isnt good enough anymore.
No, it's excellent. But when compared with his poor record in the other non-spin-friendly countries (not to mention in spin-friendly India) it's not really much of an achievement.
As I've said above, it's not as black-and-white as you seem to have taken it as. No excuses at all. If you bowl 60mph or so you can succeed; if you bowl Doosras you can succeed; if you bowl in spin-friendly conditions regularly of course you can succeed.
Just because I haven't got around to mentioning it before now doesn't mean I'm making it all up as I go along.