• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Various Records in Cricket History

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
Hi, I have some questions.

In Test Cricket, Batsmen have chance of achieving century twice. How many Batsmen achieved this? And what is the record runs in a game?
What is the record runs in an over (both FCC and Limited-Over)? Is there record of 36 runs in an over (or 48 runs in an over, in the case of 8-ball over)?
What is the record number of Wickets in an over (both FCC and Limited-Over)?
What is the largest number of balls without a run?
What is the largest number of balls without a run / Wicket?:blink:

cnerd123

likes this
TBH whoever does answer this for you is either going to look it up on Cricinfo or Google it, so you're better off just going ahead and doing that yourself.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I can't recall, like the man said I would have to google it, but by memory it is like 70 odd runs as the record for runs off an over, but don't quote me.

The only thing I do recall is that Andrew Jones was the bowler I think (is this right...) and he bowled deliberate no balls to create a declaration. Anyway everyone knows all of this already. Just use Google Loko and then post the answers here for us and we all read them and go - oh yeah that is correct.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Hi, I have some questions.

In Test Cricket, Batsmen have chance of achieving century twice. How many Batsmen achieved this? And what is the record runs in a game?
What is the record runs in an over (both FCC and Limited-Over)? Is there record of 36 runs in an over (or 48 runs in an over, in the case of 8-ball over)?
What is the record number of Wickets in an over (both FCC and Limited-Over)?
What is the largest number of balls without a run?
What is the largest number of balls without a run / Wicket?:blink:
A few answers off the top of my head, I'm sure cricinfo/google etc can provide the others...

A lot of batsmen - well over 50 now IIRC - have scored two centuries in a match. Gavaskar and Ponting both did it three times, and a bunch of guys have done it twice. Graham Gooch scored 456 (333 & 123) runs in a Test against India at Lord's in 1990, which is the record for a single Test.

36-run overs have been achieved in FC (by Sobers and Shastri), ODI (by Herchelle Gibbs) and T20 internationals (by Yuvraj) but never in Tests. I've heard of 70-odd run overs in minor cricket, but don't know the details.

Pat Pocock took 5 wickets in a FC over in a county match in the 1970s (would need to look up the full details), which is I think the only time this has happened in FC cricket. Several bowlers have taken four wickets in an over in Tests, Wasim Akram was one and Andy Caddick did it too, but not sure of the others off the top of my head. Malinga has taken four wickets in an over in ODIs, which I believe remains the record.

And NFI about the balls questions!

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There were 5 wickets in the last over of a Pakistan v Australia T20I but iirc Amir took only 3 and the remaining two were run outs.

Rotkohl

Cricket Spectator
Last edited: