• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I think we are all agreed that Franklin should only play tests, but he's a much better bowler than you think ;)

I wouldn't have Tuffey in the side ahead of him, but I'd have Tuffey bowl with the new ball and Franklin first change. Bond, Tuffey, Franklin is better than Bond, Franklin, Martin...

Natman20

International Debutant
While we are talking about Franklin I heard on the radio just before that he is going to play for Glamorgan no surgery required. Maybe this will make him a better player.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Natman20 said:
I just don't like James Franklin! :) I havn't seen any of the games he played in South Africa and heard he bowled a few good deliveries to get wickets and maybe he could develop into a good bowler but only tests. Please don't have him back in the ODI team he just gets hit for four so often with about 1 off delivery in every over from what i've seen. If Daryl Tuffey was fit I would play him instead. My comments about Mills were probably a bit dumb but hes a good ODI bowler I think and hasn't really been given much opportunity in tests. -- Nobody listen to me i'm irrational --
But Franklin's a great test bowler. I mean, he's got a test hat trick for crying out loud!! Look what happened to our other test hat trick taker, Peter Petherick - he went on to have a great career...

In bowls.

NZTailender

Natman20 said:
While we are talking about Franklin I heard on the radio just before that he is going to play for Glamorgan no surgery required. Maybe this will make him a better player.

Well, I hope all our players in England this year will improve. I think we have the most over this year than any other? I may be mistaken though.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
A recent interview with Richard Sherlock and a few other players heading to Aus next month has been posted elsewhere on the web I see (any direct link will automatically be starred out according to the preview of my post - type "cricket" and "Richie Sherlock" (as in Richie McCaw) into google if you're interested). I only found the site it's on through half-jokingly adding Sherlock to my google alerts over the summer to keep track of all his injuries.

In the interview he's described how he's dealing with the constant setbacks and how he developed the sidekick relationship he enjoys with Bond. There's definitely a similar theme of unbreakable optimism that you associate with Bond's own interviews, which is a nice sign.

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Bond and Sherlock in tandem would be good for the team, but I must ask, with all these fast bowlers getting injured, do the people in charge in New Zealand really taking care of their faster bowlers? I guess not, given how quickly Geoff Allot and Shayne O'Connor faded away, and how often Dion Nash was out of action, and now Shane Bond.

Natman20

International Debutant
I think Bonds focus should be the World Cup so I would only play him in 2 or 3 ODIs before the tournament so he doesn't get injured. How fast does Sherlock bowl?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Sherlock was clocked at 150kph on his tour of SA in 2004 (the NZ A v SA A one-dayers were televised apparently). From posts on CW by those who'd had a bit to do with him though, 150 seemed a little high for what they'd estimated he was. Two years on and several injuries later, it's really anyone's guess what his top speed would be now.

More than just good pace, one of the things I've liked about Sherlock as a prospect was him reportedly being capable of getting some nice outswing going as well, similar to perhaps a Lee, Steyn or Simon Jones.

Right arm fast

State Vice-Captain
sherlock wasn't actually clocked at 150 dayle hadlee just predicted it even so hed still be prett quick. when i went to an otago canty game sherlock and bond where bowling in tandem but sherlock didn't look as quick as bond. mccullum was standing between where he stood for bond and cairns when sherlock was bowling

Ming

State 12th Man
I think Franklin will be a fixture in the starting XI come World Cup time, his allround talents are almost too hard to ignore. I just hope he doesn't open the bowling in ODIs, because like the others have said, he seems to bowl better when the ball starts reversing. I also liked the look of him bowling around the wicket to right-handers and swinging the ball away from them nicely with the old ball. His batting will only improve, and he takes time to set himself in. Wouldn't surprise me if they batted Franklin ahead of McCullum and Vettori in Tests soon, not because he's a better player, but he's a good option to have at 7 to stabilise the 'attacking' middle order.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Right arm fast said:
sherlock wasn't actually clocked at 150 dayle hadlee just predicted it
Wonder who Hadlee was relying on for that estimate then. He wasn't actually in SA to make his own.

Remembering back, I think I put two and two together after seeing TV umpires listed on the scorecards, and that you can probably trust a Hadlee to be quoting something relatively precise. Not that it really matters now I suppose.

Copyright Independent Newspapers, Ltd. Nov 5, 2004

"Sherlock reportedly hit speeds of 150kmh in South Africa (on last month's New Zealand A tour), that's got to be the quickest since Shane Bond and before that Gary Bartlett," Hadlee, a former New Zealand fast-medium bowler said.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Champions Trophy Squad

Stephen Fleming (captain)
Nathan Astle
Shane Bond
James Franklin
Peter Fulton
Mark Gillespie
Brendon McCullum
Hamish Marshall
Kyle Mills
Jacob Oram
Jeetan Patel
Scott Styris
Daniel Vettori
Lou Vincent

I know it's been around for a while but I thought if it was reposted in CC we could get a bit more of discussion going on about the possible 11 they will use for the first game against South Africa. Personally I think the team will be fairly predictable with Fleming and Vincent opening, Astle coming in at 3 and Fulton, Marshall and Styris rounding out the top 6. McCullum at 7, Vettori at 8, Franklin at 9, Mills at 10 and Bond at 11. Interested to hear other people's thoughts, not only on the CT but on the Black Caps in general.

shortpitched713

International Captain
1. Brendon McCullum+
2. Stephen Fleming*
3. Nathan Astle
4. Hamish Marshall
5. Scott Styris
6. Peter Fulton
7. Jacob Oram
8. Shane Bond
9. Daniel Vettori
10. Kyle Mills
11. James Franklin

Basically the same team that you have Perm, but with Oram in for Vincent and McCullum opening. Might as well try opening with McCullum, seeing as the Black Caps have tried everything else. Oram's bowling should be useful, and I suppose hes a handy bat too. To be honest though, this side really doesn't look to have the fire power to win the CT or even cause some of the top contenders (Australia, SA, Pakistan) much trouble. A lot will depend on whether Shane Bond is firing, IMO.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Just sort of threw the tailenders in there in no particular order. Bond is better that Mills and Franklin in my opinion so that would be the only switch. Thing that lineup looks pretty good though. It has 6 bowlers without really sacrificing too much batting.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In my opinion Oram has not really shown if he is good enough as an ODI player, sure he can clobber boundaries at will and his bowling comes in handy but he only averages 18 with the bat and has the tendency to leak runs in the middle overs when he is bowling. Bond, Franklin, Mills and Vettori will make up most of the overs with Astle and Styris sharing the other 10. The selectors will probably bring in Oram for one of the excess batsman (should be Marshall) though.

Bond is a bit of a biffer at the bottom of the order and has hit a fair few sixes in his time but I doubt they'll promote him over Vettori or Franklin.

NZTailender

shortpitched713 said:
1. Brendon McCullum+
2. Stephen Fleming*
3. Nathan Astle
4. Hamish Marshall
5. Scott Styris
6. Peter Fulton
7. Jacob Oram
8. Shane Bond
9. Daniel Vettori
10. Kyle Mills
11. James Franklin

Basically the same team that you have Perm, but with Oram in for Vincent and McCullum opening. Might as well try opening with McCullum, seeing as the Black Caps have tried everything else. Oram's bowling should be useful, and I suppose hes a handy bat too. To be honest though, this side really doesn't look to have the fire power to win the CT or even cause some of the top contenders (Australia, SA, Pakistan) much trouble. A lot will depend on whether Shane Bond is firing, IMO.

Good work on ignoring NZ's best ODI opening batsmen for a year or so.

Still not convinced about Franklin in ODI's. My team:

1. L Vincent
2. N Astle
3. S Fleming
4. P Fulton
5. H Marshall
6. S Styris
7. J Oram
8. B McCullum (wk)
9. D Vettori
10. K Mills
11. S Bond

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
NZTailender said:
Good work on ignoring NZ's best ODI opening batsmen for a year or so.

Still not convinced about Franklin in ODI's. My team:

1. L Vincent
2. N Astle
3. S Fleming
4. P Fulton
5. H Marshall
6. S Styris
7. J Oram
8. B McCullum (wk)
9. D Vettori
10. K Mills
11. S Bond
Me neither. And not convinced about Oram either - hopeless batting record in ODIs and his bowling has been poo since he started having trouble with his back. We might as well give Gillespie a go, it's only the Champions Trophy and if he's going to be in our World Cup squad then he needs to get as much experience as possible before then. I'd go with:

1. L Vincent
2. N Astle
3. S Fleming
4. P Fulton
5. H Marshall
6. S Styris
7. B McCullum (wk)
8. D Vettori
9. K Mills
10. S Bond
11. M Gillespie

NZTailender

Sir Redman said:
Me neither. And not convinced about Oram either - hopeless batting record in ODIs and his bowling has been poo since he started having trouble with his back. We might as well give Gillespie a go, it's only the Champions Trophy and if he's going to be in our World Cup squad then he needs to get as much experience as possible before then. I'd go with:

1. L Vincent
2. N Astle
3. S Fleming
4. P Fulton
5. H Marshall
6. S Styris
7. B McCullum (wk)
8. D Vettori
9. K Mills
10. S Bond
11. M Gillespie

I was going to post that side, then decided against it and included Oram...