• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I remember Stirling still bowling well for Wellington when I really got into cricket in 1992. Probably sticks in my mind because one of my best friends at school had the same surname. Way too young. RIP.

The Hutt Rec

Ravindra the 8th most searched sportsperson in the world on google in 2023. Yep, NZC wouldn’t recognise a moment that captures public imagination like this if it came up with a sledgehammer and bludgeoned them over the head. After all, Nicholls has as many test centuries as Fleming … or … something.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ravindra the 8th most searched sportsperson in the world on google in 2023. Yep, NZC wouldn’t recognise a moment that captures public imagination like this if it came up with a sledgehammer and bludgeoned them over the head. After all, Nicholls has as many test centuries as Fleming … or … something.

Haha I reckon picking him because he's popular would have been an even worse rationale than picking Nicholls because his average isn't terrible.

Should have been picked but this isn't a good reason.

The Hutt Rec

Haha I reckon picking him because he's popular would have been an even worse rationale than picking Nicholls because his average isn't terrible.

Should have been picked but this isn't a good reason.
He shouldn’t have been picked because he’s popular … he should have been picked because he’s better (which is the reason he’s popular).

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Maybe it was the fact that I grew up on the Shore, but I've never really liked Colin Maiden and have always seen it as a prick of a place to try to get to.
Not far from a train station which isn't bad but the whole Stonefields area is basically a transport bermuda triangle.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Was a bit shocked to see the 1st test between Australia and Pakistan is being broadcast on bet365 free of charge. Does anyone know if they're allowed to do this, or is it likely that Sky will get it geoblocked before long?

Moss

He shouldn’t have been picked because he’s popular … he should have been picked because he’s better (which is the reason he’s popular).
Can understand if they want to first see some proper output from Rachin in FC, he's done OK for Wellington in FC without being outstanding. But with him likely to be pursued by T20 leagues now, wonder if there will be the incentive for him to put in the hard yards there. It may be that he should be treated as a Trescothick/Vaughan sort of selection, picked because the management saw something in them, and worth a shot.

I think the selectors dug have dug themselves into a hole with Nicholls, should probably have been left out after the Pakistan tour where everyone else got runs (I think @Flem274* suggested something similar), and asked to work his game in domestic. If they'd been paying proper attention, he's been the beneficiary of opposition fielding errors a lot and tends to get out in very predictable ways (Ebadot bowling him with a fast and full one in that defeat at the Mount, and generally being a walking wicket against fingerspin). Having given him the rope, can't drop him immediately after a 200. Will Young not making the most of his opportunities didn't help either I guess.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Will Young is an interesting one...backed him to the hilt in the SteveNZ XI but he looks cast out to sea in all formats now. Isn't a T20 player, has an ever-increasing group of players ahead of him in Tests, ODIs as well and is now 31. Is in the Bangladesh ODI squad and might get a run sometimes with players rested, but he's got to seize these opportunities big time or it'll be a 'what could have been' career for a guy who has a truckload of talent.

jcas0167

International Debutant
That potential under-25 XI is excellent. I didn't realise Greenwood had played a T20 for Jersey! Tim Pringle is another potential name for a wider squad.

Immenso

That potential under-25 XI is excellent. I didn't realise Greenwood had played a T20 for Jersey! Tim Pringle is another potential name for a wider squad.
Do you think so?

The top 6 is crazy weak. But sadly there are no glaring omissions.

I doubt the author has dug too deep into Greenwood' 'impressive List A record' to see his dominance of Italy and Bermuda etc (while playing for Jersey) is pumping it up.

At least the bowling could include several young players unlucky to make that theoretical 11. (Foulkes and Pringle)

jcas0167

International Debutant
I don't know much about Greenwood. Potentially Jamal Todd or Jacob Cumming could push for a spot this season in this hypothetical side. I've been impressed by Will Clark in Super Smash.

RMBolton

U19 12th Man
I think that U25 XI is stupid. They've taken the concept of "looking to the future" & gone mad with it, no, insane. Typical Stuff clickbait. There's nothing wrong with introducing a few in, but most of that XI have hardly been banging the door down in FT. Kristian Clarke has bumped himself up the depth chart, but he's still probably 2 spots on the depth chart below a Super Smash All-Stars team. Abbas has barely played white ball; give him a bit more before shoving him in.

I actually came here to say, of course it was CSK that picked up Ravindra. Proper Chennai Super Kiwis.

Edit: And if the coach & 3 OS players weren't enough, they added Mitchell as a 4th. $2.7M for him, too.

Last edited: