• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
similar to yesterday's quiz.

Name the top 10, bowlers in Plunket Shield, by average, minimum 100 wickets.
(by my reckoning, be interesting to see if you come up with any I miss).

Some clues, in the table.
1681271551310.png

jcas0167

International Debutant
One of my all-time favourite cricketers/people I never met or saw. Wallace and Webb was my favourite store as a youngster, and is Ryan Fox's grandad (plus father in law to Grant, obviously).
I didn't realise Joseph Romanos had written a book about him. Apparently John Reid said he was the most underrated player for NZ. I remember Martin Crowe said he would go to Wallace to make sure his technique was in order too.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/merv-wallace-s-legacy-will-live-on-94375

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Is Alex Tait #9?

And maybe Chris Drum for #3?
Does anyone know why Drum retired at such a young age? Injuries or was he just looking for better opportunities than the pre-player-strike domestic structure was able to provide?

vandem

International 12th Man
Years make it too easy, decades would have been more challenging. I have done too much reading of Men in White and tour books (Scoreboard 69 my favorite), so think I know them all but will name the balance of the odd numbers, leaving the evens for others. The 100 wicket limit may have kept out some pre-WW2 players (Brice, Badcock), as they only played 3 PS games a season.

5 Motz (slightly lower average than I expected)

7 Dayle Hadlee (guess, I know he played tests on the 69 tour, but IIRC he and Trist and Hounsell came into late contention by playing well for NZ under 23, might not have played PS for Canterbury until 69/70 season)

Added bonus question, name the top 3 bowlers in Plunket Shield / Shell Trophy who also played for the All Blacks, by average, minimum 50 wickets.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Added bonus question, name the top 3 bowlers in Plunket Shield / Shell Trophy who also played for the All Blacks, by average, minimum 50 wickets.
The great Don the Boot Clarke would be one of them for sure.
Jeff Wilson averaged 24 with the ball in 1st class, so I'd pick him.
Am doubtful about this one, but perhaps Brian McKechnie from the underarm and the Andy Haden dive is the 3rd.

EDIT: A quick internet check tells me McKechnie is wrong. I won't give away the answer though.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As an AI language model, I do not have access to current information or statistics. However, it is highly unlikely that any bowlers in New Zealand's Plunket Shield cricket tournament have also played for the All Blacks rugby team as both sports require different skill sets and physical attributes. It is possible for athletes to excel in multiple sports, but it is rare for them to compete at a high level in both cricket and rugby.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Feel like number 9 seems to be the same time as O'Connor was playing and hung up his boots, but he played for Otago

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Does anyone know why Drum retired at such a young age? Injuries or was he just looking for better opportunities than the pre-player-strike domestic structure was able to provide?
Became a cop, didn't he?

I was today years old when I found out Don Clarke played FC cricket. And averaged 21 with the ball with over 100 wickets. Holy ****.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Became a cop, didn't he?
Is that right? Shame for NZ cricket, the guy was a wicket taking machine in domestics and made a very decent fist of his 5 test appearances for NZ. If he'd hung around for a couple more years he would've had a very good chance of snapping up one of the spots that were vacated by Bond, Cairns and Tuffey. Unfortunately for him, he played in the era when tests and odi sides were seen as more or less interchangeable, and he never really got the knack for white ball cricket.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
That was a really weird one, Drum … got selected for that England test series of 02, announced before the final test he was retiring at the age of 27, then went out and knocked the top off the England second innings for match figures of 4/97 as we win the game.

vandem

International 12th Man
Jeff Wilson averaged 24 with the ball in 1st class, so I'd pick him.
Am doubtful about this one, but perhaps Brian McKechnie from the underarm and the Andy Haden dive is the 3rd.

EDIT: A quick internet check tells me McKechnie is wrong. I won't give away the answer though.
I assumed Don Clarke -> Jeff Wilson -> Brian McKechnie when I posed the question, didn't realise George Dickinson (Otago 1921/22-1937/38 127 wickets @ 26 , 3 home tests 1930 + 1932) also played for the All Blacks in 1922.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
That was a really weird one, Drum … got selected for that England test series of 02, announced before the final test he was retiring at the age of 27, then went out and knocked the top off the England second innings for match figures of 4/97 as we win the game.
Very weird.
Strange that Drum played his 5th and final test in the same match that Adams played his one and only one.

I used to wonder at the time if he was related to Emily Drumm (not realising she had an extra 'm' in her name).

Jezroy

State Captain
Very weird.
Strange that Drum played his 5th and final test in the same match that Adams played his one and only one.

I used to wonder at the time if he was related to Emily Drumm (not realising she had an extra 'm' in her name).
I used to wonder why Adams only ever got that one test, despite going on an absolute tear in FC stuff.