• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
A quiz about a pretty amazing Tom Bruce statistic.

There are, by my reckoning, only 7 players in history to average over 50 in Plunket Shield / Shell Trophy - with a minimum of 2000 career runs.

Tom Bruce is one of them, he is 5th on the list ranked by career average.

Can you name the 5 other batsmen with better career averages than Tom Bruce - in Plunket Shield cricket.
I'll have a crack.

Martin Crowe
Mathew Sinclair
Devon Conway
Colin Munro
Kane Williamson

ataraxia

International Coach
I reckon no Kane, instead that guy who averaged about 70 at Eden Park home games for a total FC average of 49ish, career circa 1950. Let me think of the name...

ataraxia

International Coach
I reckon no Kane, instead that guy who averaged about 70 at Eden Park home games for a total FC average of 49ish, career circa 1950. Let me think of the name...
Searched for his name – Verdun Scott surely does make the cut, looking at his overall FC average of 49.73 and test average of 28.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
You guys are missing just 2 out of the 10 to average over 50.

(The fact that Conway is 1st should be a clue that Graeme Hick didn't make the cut. He averaged 70 odd for ND with just over 2000 runs, but I'm sure he'll be gutted to realise that 160 odd of them were scored v the touring 87/88 English side, so he dips under PS 2000.)

1681176730609.png

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
First names that popped into my head were Donnelly, and the two Reids.

Surprised if Turner wasn't there as well

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Nope, to any of them. ^^

One is an NZ legend.

Another could be described, on this metric, as 'the Chris Harris of the mid-century"