• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Days of Grace

International Captain
Isn't Turner one of the biggest mavericks we've ever had?
Good point re: Turner's time as a player. I was thinking more about his time as a coach for one season in 1995/96 when he installed Germon as a puppet captain in an attempt to turn the side into a discliplined unit after the shenanigans of the centenary year.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
All this talk recently of Steady-as-she-goes and risk aversion has got me thinking of two New Zealand XIs from our history. One is in the mold of Gary Stead: A team that screams "We're little old New Zealand. We're just happy to compete and wish to offend no-one." The other is a team of mavericks who would drag the aforementioned XI kicking and screaming to the top half of the rankings, although in-fighting would probably be a hindrance. Help me fill in the blanks.

Steady-as-she goes XI:
Edgar
Wright
Williamson
Sutcliffe
JR Reid

Germon (c, wk)
Vettori
Larson
Mason
Arnell

Maverick XI:
Turner

Sinclair
Crowe (c)

Neesham
Cairns
Parore (wk)
Hadlee
Nash
How are JR Reid and Sutcliffe in the steady XI? Reid used to bomb 6s on terrible pitches in a ridiculously slow scoring era, while Sutcliffe came out to bat with his head swathed in bandages against lightning fast bowling and played arguably the greatest ever innings by a Kiwi. He was the archetypal dashing left hander as was Donnelly who should be in the maverick XI - tank commander, went to Oxford, was quite urbane & sophisticated, developed a plummy accent, played rugby for England etc. Vincent and Doull could also be in the maverick XI.

jcas0167

International Debutant
All this talk recently of Steady-as-she-goes and risk aversion has got me thinking of two New Zealand XIs from our history. One is in the mold of Gary Stead: A team that screams "We're little old New Zealand. We're just happy to compete and wish to offend no-one." The other is a team of mavericks who would drag the aforementioned XI kicking and screaming to the top half of the rankings, although in-fighting would probably be a hindrance. Help me fill in the blanks.

Steady-as-she goes XI:
Edgar
Wright
Williamson
Sutcliffe
JR Reid

Germon (c, wk)
Vettori
Larson
Mason
Arnell

Maverick XI:
Turner

Sinclair
Crowe (c)

Neesham
Cairns
Parore (wk)
Hadlee
Nash
Possibles for Steady squad: Justin Vaughan, Chatfield, Bevan Congdon, Shane Bond, Martin Snedden, David White, Dipak Patel, Chris Harris.

Possibles for Maverick squad: Bruce Taylor, John Bracewell, Roger Twose, Shane Thomson, Simon Doull, Danny Morrison.

OnTheBank

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

Steady-as-she goes XI:
Edgar
Wright
Williamson
Sutcliffe
JR Reid

Germon (c, wk)
Vettori
Larson
Mason
Arnell

Maverick XI:
Turner

Sinclair
Crowe (c)

Neesham
Cairns
Parore (wk)
Hadlee
Nash
Needs some eratic Heath Davis in that Maverick side

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McCullum should walk into the Maverick side, no? Or maybe I'm misinterpreting what it's about.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Great suggestions. I put Sutcliffe and Reid in the Steady XI as they were the pillars of early NZ sides that were entirely amateur and were just happy to get 3 day matches against England but those circumstances were out of their control. It's more about personality. Those who toe the line and those who go against the grain.

Steady-as-she goes XI:
White
Wright
Williamson
Congdon
JR Reid
Vaughan
Germon (c, wk)
Vettori
Larson
Snedden
Morrison

Maverick XI:
Turner
Ryder
Sinclair
Crowe (c)
Neesham
Cairns
Parore (wk)
Adams
Nash
Bracewell
Davis

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Jesse Ryder, surely.
Was my initial thinking.

Jimmy Neesham in some ways as well, if his actually having a personality counts him as a maverick.

One thing I was greatly disappointed in last nights awards was Daryl Mitchell's interview, when asked any goals for the future and he gave the good natured "just focusing on the next thing" anwer. Love Daz but fmd would love if he said something like "maiden double hundy. T20I hundred. beating the saffers and aussies. winning the WC" like come on, is this just front facing PR training or does the team really not have any goals to try and knock off?

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Great suggestions. I put Sutcliffe and Reid in the Steady XI as they were the pillars of early NZ sides that were entirely amateur and were just happy to get 3 day matches against England but those circumstances were out of their control. It's more about personality. Those who toe the line and those who go against the grain.

Steady-as-she goes XI:
White
Wright
Williamson
Congdon
JR Reid
Vaughan
Germon (c, wk)
Vettori
Larson
Snedden
Morrison

Maverick XI:
Turner
Ryder
Sinclair
Crowe (c)
Neesham
Cairns
Parore (wk)
Adams
Nash
Davis
*insert spinner*
Matthew Hart smoking weed in SA is about the most maverick spinner I can think of. Not a very crazy bunch.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Favourite track (walk-up song?) selections from the class of 2000, doing the rounds on twitter. Some questionable choices to say the least. All makes sense that lower order heroics were a thing. Also, Gary Stead!

E0D05C9C-53AA-40C9-ABFE-2B827554D24F.jpeg

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Ross The Boss did an interview during a lunchbreak on Today FM and said he walked out to bat for the first time in Australia to Akon Smack Dat because his mate thought it would be funny.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was so sure McMillan had Return of the Mack. Now I'm doubting so many of my childhood memories.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Ross The Boss did an interview during a lunchbreak on Today FM and said he walked out to bat for the first time in Australia to Akon Smack Dat because his mate thought it would be funny.
I remember in one of the Dunedin back to back Sri Lanka ODis he walked out to Express Yourself, which the internet tells me was the Labrinth version but I swear it was the original Charles Wright version.

Would've been much, much, much cooler if he walked out to the NWA version