• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I know fans from other countries think we're a sooky, cynical bunch (and we probably are) but agreed, 2 years and 1 year on from a World Cup final tie and a WTC (plus a T20 World final) there's cracks aplenty.

I agree with Moss' ODI XI too. I've been a fan of Gup but in a World Cup in India, don't we know what we're getting? Much rather see Allen and Conway at the top. I wouldn't have Rippon, but otherwise I like his side.
My biggest concern with Guptill is not so much his record in India but age and lack of match practice (he hasn't had a real test of his ODI skills since India toured in 2020!). Otherwise would definitely opt for him over a raw as guts Allen, and I think Conway is ideally placed to take over Ross' spot at 4. Having said that, I could be tempted to shuffle Conway up to open and take advantage of Latham's silky sweeps at 4 in the batting order.
I guess the main conundrum is, can Allen do the job despite not having played a ODI at all just over a year away from the WC? I mean, in the 2015 WC Trent Boult had a blinder despite playing a handful of games up until that point and we were all skeptical, yet he had established himself in the Test side so had some more international stage experience, whereas Allen has mostly played some T20Is here and there. So it's not beyond the realms of possibility. It would be good to get him experienced in this coming year so if Guptill/Nicholls et al have a shocker in the group stage then there's someone who can step up, rather than shoehorn someone in last minute.

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
Is the home summer fixture list complete? There appears to be literally no fixtures over December/January? And no tests before the new year?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Meanwhile, a handful of matches against a single opponent (Bangladesh) is hardly a big step towards a post-World Cup transformation for the White Ferns (I know there's a T20 World Cup in January, but still).

Flem274*

123/5
I think the management should be purged immediately but this squad, more or less, should get the opportunity to redeem themselves in Pakistan and I don't want to screw the new players over for the old players mistakes. If David White is intelligent he will "drop in" on the team in Ireland and offer Malan the job.

If the same players fail in Pakistan, then I would look to bring in fresh and hungry players at home.

I'm not sure what to do with the captaincy since Latham should be on notice for being a minnow basher. If Southee had maintained his standards in England I'd have suggested him but tbh there's no one else but KW. Instead I think KW needs an honest chat with a new coach about how to use spinners and he should retire from T20 after the WC if not before. Williamson is our resource, not the resource for some trash pretend team in India whose interests run counter to ours. He's already earned huge money - if he wants all the money then he's welcome to pursue it outside NZ.

A spinner should play every game and the handling of players in general needs to improve.

15 man squad for Pakistan assuming KJ will be out.

Latham
Young
Williamson (c)
Conway
Mitchell
Blundell (wk)
CdG or McConchie (decent enough player from what I've watched, better than Macewell tbh)
Wagner
Southee
Ajaz
Boult

Nicholls
Fletcher
Somerville/Walker/Rippon
Henry

Players to consider against Sri Lanka: Ravindra, Phillips, Bruce, Ferguson, Sears, Smith - don't play all of them (hopefully we're not ****ed lol) but there's no point aiming someone like Latham at Sri Lanka only for him to immediately revert to type when England arrive. Drop him, make him mad and scandalise the facebook fans and hopefully he returns the batsman he should be.

I also think its likely Wagner is done ( :( :( :( ) and his role will need replacing by always playing a spinner, a genuine quick and an allrounder like a normal team. In fact tell Lockie to get fit and get over to County now.

thierry henry

International Coach
Perversely I've kinda enjoyed Wagner pitching it up and bowling a subtle mix of swingers and cutters over the last year or so. He's a really skillful bowler and at times has been able to make things happen with "conventional bowling" when Southee and Boult haven't. It's been a belated little display of "I could've done this too you know".

But yeah....being skilled enough to still be somewhat effective at 126kph is not a replacement for what we want from Wagner and certainly not sustainable as a seam attack alongside Boult and Southee.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Perversely I've kinda enjoyed Wagner pitching it up and bowling a subtle mix of swingers and cutters over the last year or so. He's a really skillful bowler and at times has been able to make things happen with "conventional bowling" when Southee and Boult haven't. It's been a belated little display of "I could've done this too you know".

But yeah....being skilled enough to still be somewhat effective at 126kph is not a replacement for what we want from Wagner and certainly not sustainable as a seam attack alongside Boult and Southee.
The other thing to remember is sometimes Wagner did go for runs when he was using the old short-pitched ploy (I count about 13 innings out of 100 where he bowled >8 overs at >4RPO). It really shouldn't be a vast surprise that he's going for runs with fewer wickets when the pace has dried up a bit. Also, wouldn't he be better with a bit more match fitness? He's played 9 games of cricket in the last 12 months. 5 of those were Tests, 2 FC games and 2 joke matches. Who's going to bowling at top notch with that kind of background. Who's to blame for that kind of preparation?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
The other thing to remember is sometimes Wagner did go for runs when he was using the old short-pitched ploy (I count about 13 innings out of 100 where he bowled >8 overs at >4RPO). It really shouldn't be a vast surprise that he's going for runs with fewer wickets when the pace has dried up a bit. Also, wouldn't he be better with a bit more match fitness? He's played 9 games of cricket in the last 12 months. 5 of those were Tests, 2 FC games and 2 joke matches. Who's going to bowling at top notch with that kind of background. Who's to blame for that kind of preparation?
Tbh I didn't follow on Cricinfo comms throughout the evening or comb through the detailed scorecard or anything but was he ever bowled in long stints this tour? The magic, and the wicket, often comes after 9 or 10 overs on the trot. I have a feeling he didn't get 10 overs total in either innings of the third test...probably because England batted so viciously.

Edit: can see he bowled 12 in the first dig - don't think it was consecutively though?

thundaboult

International Debutant
Excited for our long build up to the T20 wc in Australia. Should be a fun tournament. Really think the likes of aus/nz should host more events. Personally excited to see some real pace from our 90mph+ boys, and perhaps some big hitting courtesy of phillips and allen. You just know those 2 are going to play with a ruthless positive intent. Lets have some fun. Been a depressing 6 or 7 months watching the test team play test cricket at the speed of 3 meters an hour. Not to mention, losing 6 damn games.

Also, very very happy to see we're touring the windies again! Its been a while! Facing them in their yard in t20's is definitely exciting.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, a welcome step in the right direction - now the contracted Black Caps are earning a total of three to five times as much as their White Ferns equivalents, compared to closer to 10 times as much previously (all figures excluding IPL etc).

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
It means the highest ranked White Ferns player can receive a maximum of $163,246 a year, up from $83,432, while the top-ranked women’s domestic players would be able to receive a maximum of $19,146 (up from $3,423).

That means top Black Caps players can earn up to $523,396, while high-ranking domestic men’s players would be in line to receive a maximum of $102,707.
Yeah this doesn't look unreasonable to me at all. In other countries, investment in the women's game has yielded a large step-up in standard (also true in other sports like soccer and AFL) and I think the White Ferns would fall further behind teams like Australia without this. Encourages professionalism and becomes a viable option for talented girls to pursue a sports career. NZ possibly not big enough to make women's Super Smash the equivalent of the WBBL, but lifting the top domestic payment from almost amateur levels at $3k up to $19k would make a huge difference in the time and dedication women could put into improving their game.

Flem274*

123/5

Go woke go broke
Yea nah. This is good, but it also makes me eye their "we have no money so must have endless t20 and no tests" chat sideways.

They found some money somewhere, and this is a good use, but yea nah they're definitely killing test cricket intentionally.

Howsie

International Captain
It’s stupid. It goes against the simple economics of why sports “people” are paid what they are paid. This isn’t a Men vs Women thing at all.

The best example I heard this morning was a comparison between the NBA and the NBL (two different basketball leagues for people that might not know) The average salary in the NBA is 8 million dollars a year. While the average salary in the NBL is only 100 thousand. Why? They’re both full time professional athletes that train just as hard as each other….

It’s because one league has an annual revenue of 8 billion dollars a year while the other makes 18 million a year. You make what you earn and in this case they make a **** ton more

The same goes for cricket. The men have much bigger live crowds, muuuuuch bigger tv audiences. They just bring in more money, and now they’re getting paid the same as the women who don’t. Makes absolutely no sense.