• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Shady Slim

International Coach
vettori's a bit of a fan favourite over here as well tbh so it wouldn't surprise me if some links were built up with those in the know during his time playing for the heat and coaching them

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Actually now that you mention it, it's a bit more of a mixed bag than I remembered. When he was coach of RCB they made the playoffs a couple of times during his 5 year tenure (in addition to 6th, 7th and last placings). The Heat made the finals in 1 out of 4 seasons that he coached them in the BBL.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually now that you mention it, it's a bit more of a mixed bag than I remembered. When he was coach of RCB they made the playoffs a couple of times during his 5 year tenure (in addition to 6th, 7th and last placings). The Heat made the finals in 1 out of 4 seasons that he coached them in the BBL.
I get you, I feel like he's underwhelming as a coach. His record as our coach when Andy Moles was water boy was very sub-par.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Was just going to go sightseeing and go to the two-day race meeting with a friend of mine that lives there. This is now turning into a four-day bender.

And no, I'm not David White. I have a great head of hair at age 43.

Last edited:

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Can anyone explain to me why Michael Bracewell is cover in the test squad over Glenn Phillips atm? Phillips is in England right now and could join the test bubble from the T20 blast bubble in a second, made a solid 50 against an attack of ***-starc-pattinson-lyon, has a fc batting average 7 runs higher than Bracewell, more fc wickets at a better average then him across his career, had a better Plunkett shield season than Bracewell last year and is 6 years younger.

jcas0167

International Debutant
One reason is they want him to gain some experience ahead of the tours to Pakistan and Sri Lanka where they see him as a potential spinning allrounder.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can anyone explain to me why Michael Bracewell is cover in the test squad over Glenn Phillips atm? Phillips is in England right now and could join the test bubble from the T20 blast bubble in a second, made a solid 50 against an attack of ***-starc-pattinson-lyon, has a fc batting average 7 runs higher than Bracewell, more fc wickets at a better average then him across his career, had a better Plunkett shield season than Bracewell last year and is 6 years younger.
Forget it Nintendo, it's Bracewelltown

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Don't use logic over random selectorial gut feel.
He (GP) can also cover the top order as well as the middle order.

Not surprisingly we've ditched Rutherford and Ravindra, so that mean if Latham or Young pull out injured on the morning of a test we have to:

a) move Conway back to opening and suddenly have a very weak middle order (esp if HN is still missing).

b) move Blundell to opening and give Fletcher a debut. No pressure lads!

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
He's 5 years too young, doesn't qualify. You got to be 30+ or on the cusp of 30 to play for black caps :D

jcas0167

International Debutant
Someone on here said Phillips was going to Otago at the end of last season? If Foxcroft ever gets back into the country they will have one of the stronger batting lineups.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
I think I must have. Yeah this isn't current news, he was going to move. It's not about his brother etc but he'll get lot more opportunities to bowl as well which was sparse at Auckland.

Foxcroft is going to be back. He's going to be contracted and will be back in the country post July.