• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
having combed through some auction list, Peter Handscomb got one in 2016 and Marcus Stoinis in 2015

Some guy named Aiden Blizzard got a gig with the Mumbai Indians as well. Truly in the footsteps of giants :ph34r:
Blizzard is a good one, uncapped and was never capped subsequently.

ataraxia

International Coach
Odd one here: Mujeeb Ur Rahman got picked in the 2018 IPL auction after his ODI debut but before his T20I debut.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
The most high- profile name I can think of is Jofra Archer. Quite a few less-familiar names from some 10 years ago when I used to follow it regularly, a number of Australian and South African coaches would pick whoever they felt was a future international.

Incidentally Luke Ronchi belongs in this club, though he made his Australia debut just after the first IPL season in which he turned out for Mumbai (unsuccessfully).

Last edited:

Immenso

I've been thinking this for a while as I've watched Devon Conway through the white ball stuff this summer. I've never seen a guy hit so many pull shot boundaries along the ground and beat the square leg sweeper.

He almost always hits his pull shots along the carpet, he must have some sort of wristy slap going on as they ping off the bat and don't slow down.

What brings me to write this, is watching the ODI v Bangers last night, when Latham started to accelerate and he started taking on the pull shot he hit them all in the air, about 4 times out towards the sweeper. about 3 went to sweeper on the bounce and one evaded for a clean boundary , another hit the fielders knee as he was in 2 minds going for the catch and also went for the boundary.

Such a good shot to have in your armoury. It is risk free, and the percentages seems to be 50% boundary rate to what bowler thinks is bowling to his field for a single.

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
Must be a good tennis player.

It is definitely good to see them being hit on the carpet. I guess the issue that comes with is if you don't roll the wrists at the right time it's easy to catch an edge.

Immenso

I should add, that Latham was rolling his wrists, just that he doesn't have an exaggerated hit from up to down like Conway does. So Latham still hits them in the air. In fact Latham rolling his wrists, with his technique, is more risky than if he just tried to hit them all for 6. Well, maybe, not on Hagley though to be fair.

Last edited:

nzfan

All top order batters I know of practice several variances of pull shots. They practice hitting in front of square, ride the bounce and hit behind, one from the front foot on the toes, one with a swerve off the back foot... many ways to play the pull shots but largely depends on the deck and the bowler. If a bowler is shorter and skiddy it's mostly pulled off front foot. Taller bowlers and more bounce means you ride the bounce and roll the wrist. They also practice deliberately hitting in the air getting under the ball. Generally played against a taller bowler that gets bit more bounce. There are so many tools these days to practice unlike in the past. Just need the mindset to work on it.

The Hutt Rec

Spark got the England rights last season, they had the West Indies and Pakistan test series on there. Quite annoying but at least it’s easy just to sign up for a month and then disconnect again.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Better this way. Spark is cheaper anway, and you can get a one 1 week subscription to Sky Sports Now for the WTC final for half the price of a full month subscription.

nzfan

What happened to Spark's promise of revealing the viewership numbers? I guess that won't see the light.

I have no problem with Spark, they covered good number of domestic games. Even had speed gun and DRS for the super smash finals.

NZC has done well by creating a bit of competition for cricket rights going with Spark. Also great to see the first class games streamed live albeit one fixed camera. It's a start. I did watch for a bit on youtube and there were over reasonable number of guys watching the ND v Firebirds games. If they can get 5 camera across the grounds for all first class and one day games that'll do wonders for cricket interest in the country. One way to keep some kids off their gadgets.

Flem274*

123/5
what do we think conway's got in him? 5 years and 25 tests?

im hoping his mini-career is as action packed as possible in a good way, but because of our test schedule i don't see him getting much opportunity at all to escape 'samplesizelol' being used against him. even if he averages 60 in tests across those 25 games dominating all over the show it will be hard for many to put him in the williamson/crowe/taylor/turner bracket. that's just nz too, globally he might get lumped in with pure meme careers.

given the guptill's, bairstows and wades of the world have so many tests between them it feels a bit unjust but oh well.

i guess if we fund our PR department and he goes really, really well we could pull a barry richards on the world and get him in ATG sides with zero justification but we need conway to actually be good first.

Mike5181

International Captain
what do we think conway's got in him? 5 years and 25 tests?

im hoping his mini-career is as action packed as possible in a good way, but because of our test schedule i don't see him getting much opportunity at all to escape 'samplesizelol' being used against him. even if he averages 60 in tests across those 25 games dominating all over the show it will be hard for many to put him in the williamson/crowe/taylor/turner bracket. that's just nz too, globally he might get lumped in with pure meme careers.

given the guptill's, bairstows and wades of the world have so many tests between them it feels a bit unjust but oh well.

i guess if we fund our PR department and he goes really, really well we could pull a barry richards on the world and get him in ATG sides with zero justification but we need conway to actually be good first.
We've played 55 tests in the last 7 years, so a little under 8 tests a year. If you throw in the two tests against England and the WTC final there's like 17ish tests to be played by Feb/March 2023, so our schedule seems consistent with that.

I don't think playing until 36-37 is unrealistic at all, so I mean he could get up there. 40, 45, even 50 tests if he gets really lucky with injuries.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
So selection time for the first test at Lord's. Starting assumption: KW, Boult and Santner are absent, but RCB bomb out again allowing Jamieson to play. CdG isn't fit. What would your starting XI be? For me:

Latham, Conway, Young, Taylor, Nicholls, Rachin, Watling, Jamieson, Southee, Henry, Wagner

Normally I'd give Conway the #3 spot in this situation, but since the WTC final is in 2 weeks and Conway is my preferred player to take Blundell's place, that's where he starts. It's tough on Mitchell to drop him after tonning up v Pakistan, but I'm really not convinced by his bowling in internationals - CdG he ain't - and Rachin is a comparable batsman. It's a bit more risky though, as Rachin isn't known for his accuracy, so getting 6 or 7 overs a day from him might cost NZ an extra 15 runs than it would with Mitchell. Still like it for the greater balance it brings to the bowling attack.