• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Assume basically the same A squad as toured Pakistan, but Neesham comes in.

Is Henry Cooper a possible future NZ opener? Only young opening FC batsman to score runs last season and started this season with a couple of fifties too. Aaaand there's almost noone else (which is why Worker gets selected based on his List A record). I've watched some boundary highlights but you can't learn a whole lot from that (Rutherford hits nice boundaries too, it's the balls in between that are the problem).

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
No news about NZ A squad yet? I'd think Firebirds probably wouldn't want Neesh picked up the way he's going right now :-) There's going to be some serious competition for pace bowling department. Too many good ones doing the rounds.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
i have his attempt at batting against amir on loop in my head. seifert looks miles better.
Don't think we need to hold that against a 19-year-old. Amir is world class, let alone you're talking about a guy who was either on debut from memory or 2nd game in. It shouldn't be a surprise that a guy whose never faced 140+ left-arm pace has trouble scoring against it at the top level initially.

Phillips has much, much more in his armoury than Seifert. Not sure what innings' you're basing that comparison on, if it was the 100 v Auckland in the Restaurant Big Bash I'd offer you several more and equally, if not better Phillips' efforts.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He was certainly very quick. Iirc he attended a development camp where Brett Lee was doing some coaching work, and Lee noted him as having genuine potential.

EDIT: here we are

Aussie star's cricket pitch in vain for Dagg | Stuff.co.nz
Well that's even more impressive if he hit 143 clicks as a 15-16 year old.

If you think channel 9 had those young rep cricketers bowling speed competitions in the last few years, and most of those 18-20 year old were only hitting late 130s at best.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Phillps is probably the most talented batsman we’ve had come through the ranks since those 2008 and 2010 Under 19 World Cup teams. If he hadn’t played for New Zealand yet he’d be getting some massive hype. He’ll score a lot of runs for New Zealand over the next 15 years. Needs more first class cricket though.
I agree with this. I've seen enough of Philips in the CPL to recognise this lad is the real deal...so it didn't really concern me that he didn't score many in the Pakistani T20s.

In fact to pay him the highest compliment, he reminds me a lot of Steve Smith in his batting set-up, & his quick hands, especially on the leg-side.

Flem274*

123/5
he was playing and missing to balls 10 feet outside offstump. it was village.

he wouldn't be the first kid to look mud and become good but for now i'm unconvinced.

what i like about seifert outside of how he looks at the crease is he came through age group stuff with a reputation for #intent and he's shown great adaptability in his career so far. he can go hard and and he can rein himself in and grind out hard runs too. it's unusual to see from a young kiwi cricketer.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Remember when Smith was talked about as a test opening option, and would've made the A side 3 or so years ago.

How times have changed.

nzfan

https://www.nzc.nz/news-items/ravindra-s-rise-continues-as-nz-a-prepare-for-stern-test-from-touring-indians

No surprises I guess, here's the NZ A squad:

George Worker (Central Stags)
Will Young (Central Stags)
Tim Seifert (Northern Districts)
Glenn Phillips (Auckland Aces)
Rachin Ravindra (Wellington Firebirds)
Dane Cleaver (Central Stags, game one only)
Cam Fletcher (Canterbury, games two and three only)
Doug Bracewell (Central Stags)
Kyle Jamieson (Canterbury)
Lockie Ferguson (Auckland Aces, games two and three only)
Seth Rance (Central Stags)
Blair Tickner (Central Stags)
Scott Kuggeleijn (Northern Districts, game one only)
Logan van Beek (Wellington Firebirds)
Theo van Woerkom (Canterbury)

Theo is a left arm spinner from Canterbury I'm guessing? Other than Theo Rachin Ravindra is the only spinner.

Doug Bracewell back in the reckoning...

Blain

U19 Captain
Far out Van Woerkom is hardly performing at domestic level, don't understand these selectors. What about Murray? At least he's young as and holding his own. Also Fletcher making it, how does that make any sense..

The Hutt Rec

I wish Hamish Bennett would get a chance. 24 wickets at 15 across all formats so far this summer.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
No doubt Larsen will throw a few curve balls and we’ll see the likes of Greg Hay, Michael Bracewell, Seth Rance, some random club spinner, and Hamish Rutherford.
Why even bother picking a guy who averages 1 wicket every first class game he plays?

nzfan

I guess there's no more keepers left in the country hence Fletcher? Haven't heard much of Theo but yeah would have been great to see Felix Murray in the team.

nzfan

Strangely they have so many keepers, Glen Phillips, Tim Seifert and Fletcher. I guess Glen is not considered a keeper anymore? 7 fast bowlers as well. You know what India A should expect :-)

Immenso

Strangely they have so many keepers, Glen Phillips, Tim Seifert and Fletcher. I guess Glen is not considered a keeper anymore? 7 fast bowlers as well. You know what India A should expect :-)
And Cleaver is in.

and Blundell would have been in the squad if not injured on UAE tour.

Why do they need so many keepers?

Immenso

No openers and no spinners.

Spinners:
Sodhi, A Patel, Sommerville in UAE on test duty
Astle injured
Santner injured.

Leaving only:
M Craig

T Van Woerkom is an absolute left field punt.

As a keen test fan and wanting NZ to have A tests so that we can work out our weaknesses before we get to the test stage (openers and spinners). This is an absolute tragedy that a rare 3 test A series is going to have zero potential NZ test spinners available to play (except Craig who is obviously way on the outer).

Plus only 1 potential test opener, Ravindra, who won't open (I'm cool with that).

Last edited: