• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

thundaboult

International Debutant
Man, if milne could get through 10 overs for just 1 tournament, wouldn't need to see jamo or southee in the squad. They'd rather take jamo with his horrible white ball bowling and southee with 9 fingers, wow.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The rain on day 1 came at a great time for India. They got great early pitch conditions then just as our death overs were underway nz had to stop then bat 2 slog overs the next day in tricky conditions.

I understand it was tough out there to bat early but it was the same for both sides and only one team had their innings interrupted.
Depends on how you look at it though. The toss advantage was neutralized by the rain interruption, AFAIC. I suppose it was neutral in the sense both teams faced the same tough conditions but cricket always has an intrinsic advantage of the toss in its fabric and that was nullified due to the rain.

In essence, I do think it helped have the game on a very even keel and the better team won, but as I said, the toss advantage is very inherent in cricket, and missing it does make it bad luck in that sense.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Hey so...how many of these 25 and below aged talents do we have in our system? lol rachin is 23 and he's probably having the best world cup for any nz player ever ay? There's still a group stage match left plus a semi if we take care of SL. Bit of a kick to the turn 29 and graduate into the national side policy. Maybe just maybe, if you're good enough, you play? And when you play, you play in a role that suits you + management is aware of your role.

That said, waiting for sears, fisher, rourke, ashok, clarkson, nathan smith, foxcroft to come in and start belting the world taking 5'ers and scoring double tons.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
There's more than enough talent there. Those bowlers you named have all got something about them, although given O'Rourke must be injured (hasn't played in the Plunket Shield) there are fitness concerns around him, Sears and Fisher. Clarkson looming as a hard-hitting 6 who can bowl, Smith as an 8 (maybe) who swings it both ways and bowls with a bit of nip, Ashok has a lot of skills and Foxcroft hopefully kicks on as well. Plus obviously his Royal Rachin Highness. Hell of a nucleus if they all graduate and take it to the next level.

RMBolton

U19 12th Man
The main issue is that it's hard for the young guys to break in because they have to force their way into the side. Does Rachin make the squad if Macewell is fit? Him opening/Backup Kane at 3 is a fluke on a fluke with Stead&co; it shouldn't have been, but hey.

Sears probably needs to stay fit enough for long enough to put himself forward. O'Rourke impressed in Australia, & may get opportunities soon in a post-Boult world. Ashok is in line behind Sodhi, Clarkson behind Neesham (though I expect a debut for him this summer with Neesham out of the country), Smith is in a similar boat to Sears, Foxcroft probably needs a bit more time, but he has it while Kane is around.

RMBolton

U19 12th Man
Too bad Clarkson doesn't make that cutoff. I just remembered Abbas hasn't debuted in List A or T20 yet.

I think there's a solid core for the 27 WC, even factoring the probable & possible retirements again. Probably Semi-Finalist grade, Super 6 at worst; anything else would have to wait until 2025 at the earliest.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
NZ 25 & under One day team??
Ravindra
Allen
Foxcroft
Abbas
Hay
Foulkes
Tashkoff
Smith
Ashok
Sears
O’Rourke
Yeah it looks like there's some good talent there. We have a heap of young medium-pace-bowling allrounders - some are batter-first (Abbas), some bowler-first (Smith) and some I'm not yet sure about. On performances to date I think you'd include Kristian Clarke or Keene in place of Tashkoff. Fisher somewhere too.

Don't know much about them, but Sunde, Severin, Parkes and Robinson have scored early-career runs too.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
My attempt at a future NZ test bowling attack:

1. Rachin (part time left arm orthodox)
_
_
_
5. Abbas (part time left arm medium pace)
6. G Phillips (part time right arm orthodox).
7. wicketkeeper
8. N Smith/Kristian Clarke/Shipley (bowler who can bat)
9. Jamieson
10. O'Rourke/Ashok/Pringle (conditions-dependent swing or spin)
11. Sears/Fisher (pace - point of difference)

Other possibilities: Foulkes, Keene, edit: Foxcroft too

We're going to have a lot of 4th/5th/6th bowler types. The concern is who will be our cutting edge, other than Jamieson, and if they can stay fit and develop to international level.

Last edited:

Ghost

U19 12th Man
If this turns out to be final game, who from this squad do we move on from permanently from the ODI setup going forward? For me Neesham and Boult definitely and start to cycle out Southee and Ferguson

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
If this turns out to be final game, who from this squad do we move on from permanently from the ODI setup going forward? For me Neesham and Boult definitely and start to cycle out Southee and Ferguson
Out go Latham, Neesham, Southee and Ferguson and possibly Ish. Don't mind if Boult comes and goes for a while longer. How many of those will actually go? Possibly Neesham.

Need to look at a new keeper and seam bowlers. And Ashok, too. No time like the start of a WC cycle.

RMBolton

U19 12th Man
Just going through the squad, from this squad only Phillips & Ravindra I can definitely see at the 2027WC.

For the CT in 2025, I definitely see those two as well as Williamson, Conway, Henry, Mitchell & Santner. Everyone else is at best a question mark.