• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Wagner is liable to rip his head off and leave his body discarded in a ditch somewhere when he gets given that news tbf.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon he's legitimately afraid of Wagner so he has to keep him.
I think this isn't far off the truth.

From memory, Stead is contracted to the end of the World Cup? So he's not getting the job past that, he even spoke in defeatist tones about that last summer. What this side does this summer is really irrelevant to him. If he is the guy who axes Wags, he faces a possible mutiny pre World Cup from especially his captain, Trent etc. But as this happens, he contracts Wags, all is good and he can ride off into the night before summer. No brainer, really.

A truly head strong leader with the right amount of power could and should tell Wags it's time, but Stead can't.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
If it actually is anywhere near the truth, it's an appalling indictment on NZ cricket. Not a backbone in the place.

The Stead years are reminiscent of the very worst of the mid 90s. He's been blessed with better players, and that's the only thing which has saved him for so long. I cannot wait to see the back of him and White.

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
If it actually is anywhere near the truth, it's an appalling indictment on NZ cricket. Not a backbone in the place.

The Stead years are reminiscent of the very worst of the mid 90s. He's been blessed with better players, and that's the only thing which has saved him for so long. I cannot wait to see the back of him and White.
Stead's reasoning is pretty much set out here. And in fairness he did deliver in the 2nd innings where they won at the Basin, which is basically where Stead sees Wagner's strengh. From Wagner's comments it seems he was battling with injuries so presumably they are optimistic with a full winter to rehab he can improve his form.

Last edited:

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Stead's reasoning is pretty much set out here. And in fairness he did deliver in the 2nd innings where they won at the Basin, which is basically where Stead sees Wagner's strengh. From Wagner's comments it seems he was battling with injuries so presumably they are optimistic with a full winter to rehab he can improve his form.

I mean, we obviously all hope that is the case, but that Wellington performance was obviously a glimpse of the past, not the future.

I love the guy and hope he tears it up in the summer, but he's surely more likely to be cannon fodder. Though, as someone said above, it's not exactly clear who'd replace him, anyway.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Though, as someone said above, it's not exactly clear who'd replace him, anyway.
This is a question NZ will have to tackle sooner rather than later (much like with Taylor, before his retirement the sentiment was “Let him choose when he wants to go” but the India tour in late 2021 pretty much confirmed where things stood).

Wagner as an individual is pretty much irreplaceable, but NZ can find ways to work around that. First priority for NZ is to get Jamieson fully fit and dedicated to test cricket (though that may be hard because unlike Wagner he has the kind of brand name that has IPL sides still offering contracts). Ideally they should get used to playing a spinner not named Bracewell in the XI by default, but even assuming that doesn’t happen a 4 man attack of Southee-Henry-Jaimeson-Shipley is not bad at all.These guys will have to learn a few tricks about bowling dry without trying to replicate Wagnerball, but can be done with a focused approach.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Though, as someone said above, it's not exactly clear who'd replace him, anyway.
This is where I would have taken a small leap of faith and given Shipley a contract I think. Noone else fits the bill of fitness and a good domestic red ball record. Southee and Henry are the only fit and class bowlers we can rely on, though Tickner gets a hopeful contract too. Boult, Wagner, Jamieson, Ferguson not relied on for various reasons. Sears and Smith unfit. Shipley more promising than Duffy and the rest imo.

Have already posted several times that Shipley more a red ball bowler so not surprised he has struggled in white-ball internationals so far.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
If there was any particular reason to think Sears (or Smith) would move past their fitness issues soon then yeah I'd be fine with that too.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I like the idea of contracting Sears even if he's not going to be actually selected. Show him you believe in him and want to make sure he focuses on developing his game for international cricket (and focuses on cricket in general).

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
I've lost track of what nationality Will Williams (who does that?) is but 15 overs 3/14 is cute.

Anyone seen a scorecard for the U19s? I see Cumming and the 'keeper got some runs, though.