• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm...you knew it was coming, but Wagner to keep going in a summer where we're playing Australia and South Africa is an interesting one. Although, I guess the argument is who would take his place? He'd be great in any training and game day environment.

The biggest story here, according to the story I read, is that Trent Boult has been offered a casual playing agreement (according to the Herald, and the NZC release I presume). That's certainly something to hear more about.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Hmm...you knew it was coming, but Wagner to keep going in a summer where we're playing Australia and South Africa is an interesting one. Although, I guess the argument is who would take his place? He'd be great in any training and game day environment.

The biggest story here, according to the story I read, is that Trent Boult has been offered a casual playing agreement (according to the Herald, and the NZC release I presume). That's certainly something to hear more about.
Horses for courses. I'm all for this.

RMBolton

U19 12th Man
Certainly a pretty stable contract line-up.

Ajaz hasn't been backed, but on the other hand he knows he's being given limited opportunities, so should make them count. Milne is being rewarded for showing us what he can do when he's not constantly injured.

The thing with the marginal guys is that I can't really think who'd be challenging them. A spot or two might be up next year, but I struggle to think who is pushing (then again, Macewell getting a central contract after only one ODI series throws that kind of logic out the window).

The Boult casual agreement should cover him for the WC. Hopefully it covers him for the Tests as well, even if covers only the Australia Tests (& possibly the T20s, if he wants to commit for the 2024 T20WC).

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Horses for courses. I'm all for this.
So am I, incidentally. I'm just interested in the nuances of the contract and how they think his summer looks...and I suppose what sort of precedent it sets going forward. Obviously, a team list with Boult on it v Australia and SA in Tests, as well as the World Cup is much more exciting than one without it. And looking back, it makes a further nonsense that apparently he wasn't even asked to play at the Mount v England.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
No Ravindra or Shipley. Just beggars belief.
You all know as a Stevedor (again, Google the definition) that there is no bigger Ship fan this side of Rangiora. However, he's done well enough in ODIs so far and no impact in T20 which I don't think is his format, so there's no issue with me for him not to be contracted. He'll still get opportunities.

As for Ravindra, he should never have been in the T20 side, nor the ODI one. Until he is considered as a Test opener (which I believe he should be) or he goes back to Ford Trophy/wherever and shows he is a 50-over opener too who can bowl, I don't see that he should be near an NZ side or in a contract list.

We can (and do, and will) bemoan Nicholls' place in sides, but as a contracted player who has his Test record and knack for big knocks (remembering he scored a double ton in his last knock) and can play a role if needed in ODIs, it's a pretty fair call to contract him.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
You all know as a Stevedor (again, Google the definition) that there is no bigger Ship fan this side of Rangiora. However, he's done well enough in ODIs so far and no impact in T20 which I don't think is his format, so there's no issue with me for him not to be contracted. He'll still get opportunities.

As for Ravindra, he should never have been in the T20 side, nor the ODI one. Until he is considered as a Test opener (which I believe he should be) or he goes back to Ford Trophy/wherever and shows he is a 50-over opener too who can bowl, I don't see that he should be near an NZ side or in a contract list.

We can (and do, and will) bemoan Nicholls' place in sides, but as a contracted player who has his Test record and knack for big knocks (remembering he scored a double ton in his last knock) and can play a role if needed in ODIs, it's a pretty fair call to contract him.
They gave wagner a contract and he's a one format player who's played 5 tests in the past year and a half and averaged 45 with the ball. This year is an ODI WC year and given how ship's done so far in the format there's every chance he makes the squad or is a reserve, and given that he's been one of the standout bowlers of the past 2 plunket shield seasons and is about to head off to a county gig with sussex, it's fairly likely that he's gonna be playing test cricket sooner or later.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
They gave wagner a contract and he's a one format player who's played 5 tests in the past year and a half and averaged 45 with the ball. This year is an ODI WC year and given how ship's done so far in the format there's every chance he makes the squad or is a reserve, and given that he's been one of the standout bowlers of the past 2 plunket shield seasons and is about to head off to a county gig with sussex, it's fairly likely that he's gonna be playing test cricket sooner or later.
Good point. I can only suggest that getting rid of Wags would be a mammoth task, and one Stead knows he doesn't want on his resume before he's sent packing after the World Cup.

Flem274*

123/5
Good point. I can only suggest that getting rid of Wags would be a mammoth task, and one Stead knows he doesn't want on his resume before he's sent packing after the World Cup.
Stead gets paid six figures to literally have a sit down discussion or even ***** out with a phone call.